Can I get away with this?

mykidsrock76

The woman who dresses to fit in with others but carries herself with self-confidence is the woman with class and who will stand out for that, rather than just standing out.

You do not know me and cannot say whether or not I have class. From what I can tell, your comments have had no added value other than to simply criticize. I understand I asked for opinions. But there is a difference between opinions and being judgemental.

Thank you for your "opinion" but it really isn't worth much in my eyes. And honestly, if some of the pics I've seen on these forums are women dressing to fit in, I'm more than happy to standout!

That's a cruel statement.

I wouldn't wear that in a million years. However, I think any 55 year old in that type of head wear would get the odd look and a comment. I'd expect it! However, if you like it and have already made plans to incorporate it in with your hairstyle and dress, I say go for it. Who cares what the ducklites of the world think?

:D thank you!

You can absolutely "get away with this". I wish there was more of this in the world. There are plenty of years ahead to be pushed into a mold. I have seen this on someone before and it was very striking in appearance.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Forums mobile app

I wore my black Santa hat last year that said "naughty" on it when I boarded the ship and to the party the first night. 4 or 5 nights later I still had people coming up to me telling me how I look and acted like a "fun person" to be around. I'm always doing something/wearing something crazy and I am 55. Wear it, have a GREAT time and don't worry about what someone else cares...Do what YOU (and your husband) want to do because after all.....NO ONE IS PROMISED TOMORROW.....so never regret what you didn't do....as long as it's not illegal or hurting anyone.....GO FOR IT!!!

Edited by arhillbilly

I say go for it!! Cruising is all about having fun ...

This is exactly what I am thinking! It looks great with the dress, so why not?!

You can absolutely "get away with this". I wish there was more of this in the world. There are plenty of years ahead to be pushed into a mold. I have seen this on someone before and it was very striking in appearance.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Forums mobile app

I do not ever want to be pushed into a mold. Now I am not eccentirc or anything (not that there is anything wrong with that). But I do refuse to "look like everyone else". It's just not me. I think done right, this type of thing can add something to an outfit.

I wore my black Santa hat last year that said "naughty" on it when I boarded the ship and to the party the first night. 4 or 5 nights later I still had people coming up to me telling me how I look and acted like a "fun person" to be around. I'm always doing something/wearing something crazy and I am 55. Wear it, have a GREAT time and don't worry about what someone else cares...Do what YOU (and your husband) want to do because after all.....NO ONE IS PROMISED TOMORROW.....so never regret what you didn't do....as long as it's not illegal or hurting anyone.....GO FOR IT!!!

Yes, the hubby really likes it.. but he is my biggest fan! But he also would not let me go out wearing something that did not flatter me or would draw negative attention.

I have a metal headpiece sort of like the ones in these pictures. I am trying to decide if I can get away with this OR if I am going to get weird looks. :rolleyes: My DH says "who cares" it looks good and I can rock it.. but I am looking for opinons here.

One of my dresses for elegant night has a Grecian feel to it..one shoulder, navy tulle overlay on white, with an empire waist with beads and sparkle. Think fancy, blue toga.

Thoughts?

I wear what I like For me fashion is a way to express yourself. I wear a lot of shell jewelry, I happen to like wearing dead sea creatures around my neck! I dress for me.

I just love the Grecian look and I think the head piece will look just fine with it. Enjoy yourself and don't think about what others might say.

Edited by geocruiser

This is exactly what I am thinking! It looks great with the dress, so why not?!

I do not ever want to be pushed into a mold. Now I am not eccentirc or anything (not that there is anything wrong with that). But I do refuse to "look like everyone else". It's just not me. I think done right, this type of thing can add something to an outfit.

Why did you even bother coming here to get "opinions"? Sounds like you have your mind already made up to wear it and just came here to rile up people. My opinion....it's looks like a Halloween costume accessory, especially when paired a toga type dress as you describe it. Wear it if you like. Honestly, no one on the ship cares.

I just turned 37 and I too am told (almost daily) about how well I dress or how striking I am. I'm not afraid of color or jewelry or to accessorize in a tasteful way. And before anyone blasts me for being conceited, I'm not conceited. Just confident.

I think I have the personality and confidence to wear this and wear it well. I will def take pics and post them for you!

Well then, I am a little confused. Why did you ask for everyone's opinion?

Wear what makes YOU happy. On Carnival, anything goes. I saw a whole family dressed up as the "Honey Boo Boo" clan on "elegant" night in February.:eek:

I wear what I like For me fashion is a way to express yourself. I wear a lot of shell jewelry, I happen to like wearing dead sea creatures around my neck! I dress for me.

I just love the Grecian look and I think the head piece will look just fine with it. Enjoy yourself and don't think about what others might say.

I have never been able to pull off shell jewelry, but I have seen some beautiful pieces when we go to the beach. Thank you.

Why did you even bother coming here to get "opinions"? Sounds like you have your mind already made up to wear it and just came here to rile up people. My opinion....it's looks like a Halloween costume accessory, especially when paired a toga type dress as you describe it. Wear it if you like. Honestly, no one on the ship cares.

Well then, I am a little confused. Why did you ask for everyone's opinion?

Wear what makes YOU happy. On Carnival, anything goes. I saw a whole family dressed up as the "Honey Boo Boo" clan on "elegant" night in February.:eek:

I really did come here for opinions on if anyone has ever seen something like this worn to dinner and, if so, how it looked. My intention was not to rile anyone up. I think the riling up started when opinions started sounding more like insults.

I did not have my mind made up when I posted my question. I was actually very "on the fence". But as the day went on and I read the comments, I actually tried it on with my dress again. And I think the whole ensemble looks really good and not in a costumey way. Now if it was a long white dress, sure it would.

I have never been able to pull off shell jewelry, but I have seen some beautiful pieces when we go to the beach. Thank you.

I really did come here for opinions on if anyone has ever seen something like this worn to dinner and, if so, how it looked. My intention was not to rile anyone up. I think the riling up started when opinions started sounding more like insults.

I did not have my mind made up when I posted my question. I was actually very "on the fence". But as the day went on and I read the comments, I actually tried it on with my dress again. And I think the whole ensemble looks really good and not in a costumey way. Now if it was a long white dress, sure it would.

Hi, I had answered in the very beginning and now I am continuing to

read the thread.....I do think some of the replies are a bit "over the

top":eek: but over the years (I have posted on CC forever).....over

the years I have learned many folks don't re-read their postings before

hitting "Submit" and may not realize how the reply sounds....or there

are other folks who just don't care how they sound. Sorry some of the

answers sounded so low......

As for the headgear? (I guess that is what you call it?)....personally,

I stand my original comment and I never meant it as an insult.

I think it would look good if wearing a costume but if you are happy

with how it looks with your outfit? Then go for it.:)

As for the headgear? (I guess that is what you call it?)....personally,

I stand my original comment and I never meant it as an insult.

I think it would look good if wearing a costume but if you are happy

with how it looks with your outfit? Then go for it.:)

No worries... I did not take your comment as an insult.

with the proper dress and it sounds like you have it, the head dress jewelry would go really well for formal night but expect a few stares because it so different,but that's OK ,you will look marvelous.!!!!!!:) rose

Thank you. I am assuming that some people will look, that's just the nature of people. Heck, I love to watch people and see what they're wearing!

Thank you. I am assuming that some people will look, that's just the nature of people. Heck, I love to watch people and see what they're wearing!

Style is personal; I never ask for opinions. On occasionally I do ask my husband thou.

If you like the head piece; wear it proudly. Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

We go to Las Vegas every couple months. Sometime we sit at the bar to enjoy our evening drink and watch people walking by. Last year I saw a lady who wore a high low white dress with a gold crown on her head. She looked beautiful. I walked to her and said” you look fantastic! I love it!” Then sometime I wonder; why do people wear high heels when they can’t walk in them:rolleyes:.

Happy cruising

Marie

I have a metal headpiece sort of like the ones in these pictures. I am trying to decide if I can get away with this OR if I am going to get weird looks. :rolleyes: My DH says "who cares" it looks good and I can rock it.. but I am looking for opinons here.

One of my dresses for elegant night has a Grecian feel to it..one shoulder, navy tulle overlay on white, with an empire waist with beads and sparkle. Think fancy, blue toga.

Thoughts?

just my own opinion but if you feel great and love the look then what the heck go with it .... I wore some unique jewelry for my wedding and yes some people made remarks about "how bold of me" but you know what I loved it and my Hubby picked it out for me and that was all that mattered .... Have a great time on your cruise !!!:)

Then sometime I wonder; why do people wear high heels when they can’t walk in them:rolleyes:.

Happy cruising

Marie

Heck, I wonder that all the time!!

It seems that anytime we go anywhere where people can get dressed up, you will see women who can barely walk in their shoes ... or you will see them carrying their shoes and walking around barefoot ...

The woman who dresses to fit in with others but carries herself with self-confidence is the woman with class and who will stand out for that, rather than just standing out.

Hmm. I (mostly) dress to look good in whatever I happen to be wearing. Since I wear a uniform and boots to work every day, when I'm on a cruise, I wear a dress and heels unless I'm a) in the gym, b) on an excursion, or c) sleeping. I carry myself well and always try to look nice. So I guess I'm confused as to whether I have class or not since I will likely stand out having just gotten most of my back tattooed with a phoenix to celebrate being cancer-free for one year. :confused:

OP, while it's not something I would wear (simply because doing anything other than flat ironing my hair is too much work), if you like it and your hubby likes it, then wear it. It's a striking look, but it sounds like you can pull it off. I hope you have a lovely cruise, and please post pictures when you get back!

We go to Las Vegas every couple months. Sometime we sit at the bar to enjoy our evening drink and watch people walking by. Last year I saw a lady who wore a high low white dress with a gold crown on her head. She looked beautiful. I walked to her and said” you look fantastic! I love it!” Then sometime I wonder; why do people wear high heels when they can’t walk in them:rolleyes:.

just my own opinion but if you feel great and love the look then what the heck go with it .... I wore some unique jewelry for my wedding and yes some people made remarks about "how bold of me" but you know what I loved it and my Hubby picked it out for me and that was all that mattered .... Have a great time on your cruise !!!:)

Heck, I wonder that all the time!!

It seems that anytime we go anywhere where people can get dressed up, you will see women who can barely walk in their shoes ... or you will see them carrying their shoes and walking around barefoot ...

I also have some serious heels I'll be wearing with this dress! But I can walk in them! Yes, my hubby loves the look and that's really who I'm trying to impress! ;)

I say go for it. It might not be what I would wear but that's beside the point. I love a visual treat and if it looks great I will appreciate how you look in it. And I may tell you so if I see you! If it does appear costume-y, so what, it's not like cruising is real life anyway!

Thank you! I plan on having fun on this trip.. if you can't have fun with clothes on a cruise, where's the fun in that?!

I say wear it and rock it!! I'm 36 and would totally wear it. It is in fashion right now, and not costumey at all! and I would love to see a pic too:) Our next cruise is NEXT nov, so I might get some inspiration ;)

I'll have to remember to come back and post a pic!

I am 56 years young and I would wear the first one shown. You said the dress matches the theme of the head dress, so why not!!!!! Forget what all the other yahoos say, you only have to make yourself happy and of course your husband. Win Win situation!!!!

Can't go wrong with a win-win situation!

So I guess I'm confused as to whether I have class or not since I will likely stand out having just gotten most of my back tattooed with a phoenix to celebrate being cancer-free for one year. :confused:

First, congrats on being cancer free for a year! That is awesome!

Second, don't sweat the tattoo... I have a large Celtic cross on my back people can stare at if they have an issue with the headpiece. :)

First, congrats on being cancer free for a year! That is awesome!

Second, don't sweat the tattoo... I have a large Celtic cross on my back people can stare at if they have an issue with the headpiece. :)

LOL - thanks! I'm not sweating the tattoo - it's my 5th one, but 1st large one. I've actually been buying backless dresses just so I can show it off on my upcoming cruise. ;)

A tattoo AND the headpiece? Scandalous! True ladies will be shocked to the point of fainting, I would imagine. :D