Allure 8/18/13 - Eastbound & Down: A Composition of Photos and Other Trip Details

KGSB11

fort lauderdale airport (FLL) is basically at the port, so i wouldn't base my car choice only on proximity to the port, all the car rental companies are close by.

I would check to see which company doesn't have a one way drop off fee to tampa (in addition to proximity to the port).

Perhaps none of them have a one way drop off fee, but that's what i would be sure to check.

The Budget lot is an independent and he will often match the Airport Price. Also, there is an Avis option. Avis is located at the Hyatt Pier 66. These operators have shuttles from the ship.

The FLL option is at the Airport and there is not a free Budget Shuttle to the Airport, just the Quay Center Location has a Budget Shuttle

http://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/locationsearch/details.ex?selected=2&checkPulStatus=false&checkDolStatus=false&pul=F07&countryName=

The Budget lot is an independent and he will often match the Airport Price. Also, there is an Avis option. Avis is located at the Hyatt Pier 66. These operators have shuttles from the ship.

The FLL option is at the Airport and there is not a free Budget Shuttle to the Airport, just the Quay Center Location has a Budget Shuttle

http://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/locationsearch/details.ex?selected=2&checkPulStatus=false&checkDolStatus=false&pul=F07&countryName=

Alamo is at the airport and has a free shuttle to and from the port.

We used the shuttle a few weeks ago from the airport to the port, but used a taxi back to the airport after the cruise as we didn't want to wait for the shuttle.

Alamo doesn't have a one way drop off fee within Florida.

However, it's quite possible that none of the rental companies do. But as i've already mentioned, i suggest the poster checks to make sure that budget (or whatever company) doesn't have one to tampa.

(by the way, the price we got from alamo was practically free from FLL to Orlando - but we booked through Alamo UK using a code for non-US residents, so i don't know what the equivalent price would be if booked inside the US).

Edited by alaska_planner

Alamo is at the airport and has a free shuttle to and from the port.

We used the shuttle a few weeks ago from the airport to the port, but used a taxi back to the airport after the cruise as we didn't want to wait for the shuttle.

Alamo doesn't have a one way drop off fee within Florida.

However, it's quite possible that none of the rental companies do. But as i've already mentioned, i suggest the poster checks to make sure that budget (or whatever company) doesn't have one to tampa.

(by the way, the price we got from alamo was practically free from FLL to Orlando - but we booked through Alamo UK using a code for non-US residents, so i don't know what the equivalent price would be if booked inside the US).

A couple of months ago we rented from Orlando Ariport and the fee was higher due to dropping off in Fortr Lauderdale. What I did was rent the car for 1-day from Budget and then booked a seperate rental from Budget for 5-more days. Drove from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale and exchanged cars. Saved some nice change!

For some reason when renting in Fort Lauderdale after the cruise and dropping off the car in Orlando there was no premium pricing for one way.

I guess it always pays to shop around.

A couple of months ago we rented from Orlando Ariport and the fee was higher due to dropping off in Fortr Lauderdale. What I did was rent the car for 1-day from Budget and then booked a seperate rental from Budget for 5-more days. Drove from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale and exchanged cars. Saved some nice change!

For some reason when renting in Fort Lauderdale after the cruise and dropping off the car in Orlando there was no premium pricing for one way.

I guess it always pays to shop around.

alamo just seems to work out cheaper for us because of the non-US resident thing - they include all the insurance, which can add on a lot to the price of a rental.

US residents typically don't need to get insurance since they're covered by their regular car insurance, but non-residents do. And it can be really pricey.

Anyway, for the FLL to MCO, (we picked up on sunday and dropped off on Wednesday), for a 7 person minivan (a town & country with only 2,600 miles on it), we paid a total of $117. And that included the collision damage waiver and the 3rd party liability. And 3 additional drivers (which we didn't use - i'm the designated driver). Not bad!

Edited by alaska_planner

I will also add that the Quay center Budget gets many of their cars from the airport (FLL). When we were there waiting for the shuttle, they were sending employees to the airport to get cars for people arriving; this is because they are really limited to whichever cars people drop-off at that location. Each car that was returned (including ours) was IMMEDIATELY rented back out to someone arriving.

So I was really hoping to have the compass scanned so I could post it before Day 1, but alas, my scanner/printer at home had different plans for me! :rolleyes:

I will post Day 1 a bit later this morning, and have the compass scanned in and posted by the end of the day today.

I will leave you right now with a teaser for Day 1...since I already discussed our room and location...here is a picture from the balcony shortly before the "7 short blasts, then one long blast"...

Room-view.jpg

Thanks for the review. We are going on eastern in Nov. I love your spreadsheets, I have a few of my own, but you have some good ideas on yours. Can't wait for more reviews. Also the Cruise Compasses. I have 2 previous, and i know they change, but it will be nice to see how much different they really are. Thanks again!:):)

We woke on Sunday morning a few minutes before the alarm at 8am – threw on shoes and respectable attire and headed downstairs for breakfast. They had a very nice assortment - I will go out on a limb here and say that it may have been better than the few breakfasts I had in the Windjammer. :cool:

Afterwards we headed back up to get ready for our self-imposed departure of 10:45am. Things were pretty uneventful until I put in my contacts – OH THE HUMANITY – my retinas were being dissolved! :eek: The only time I had felt this pain was when I forgot to wash my hands after cutting up a batch of habaneros and pasilla peppers.

Now, I’m not sure what exactly was in this bottle of eye-solution I packed (NOTE: After doing research, 3% Hydrogen Peroxide is the answer), but it was the only travel-sized bottle we had in our house when we left, so I packed it.

TRAVEL ALERT: Always bring an extra pair of glasses or contacts when going on vacation. I almost did not, but at the last minute I threw an extra pair in my bag…you know, “just in case” – THIS, my friends, was such a case.

An impromptu visit to CVS was now required on the way to return the rental car to procure the correct contact-lens solution; which was good since DW now informed me she needed more eye liner as hers was now DANGEROUSLY low she exclaimed. We left the hotel early at 10:30am and arrived at CVS quicker than it took me to adjust the mirrors.

The Itinerary for the morning:

Map.jpg

As we were walking into CVS, a mother and two kids come running out and the little boy proceeds to vomit everywhere! My first thought was, poor kid…followed by “Don’t inhale” and quickly shuffled DW into the store. I had a vision of me in the movie Outbreak – somehow I feared that could be me. And I was determined not to get sick this early on in the game.

outbreak-header.jpg

(Movie capture taken from sciencefiction.com)

After CVS we then drive next door to top off the gas tank – less I be charged $14 for the gas usage from Miami to Fort Lauderdale (NO Thank You!) :rolleyes:. After about 4-hours looking for the gas cap release on this fine piece of Detroit machinery and $6 of gas later, we were on our way on the longest stretch of our journey; this time I had enough time to buckle up. In about 2 minutes, we were outside the rental car office in Quay Plaza – across the street from the Port Everglades entrance from 17th Street.

We had just missed the shuttle when we arrived, so it would be a few minutes before it returned. Ended up having a nice conversation with some people who just disembarked and were driving back up to South Carolina; the place seemed rather quiet until the shuttle showed up again – and it seemed like people came out of the woodwork and lined up for the shuttle!

I felt rather bad for the driver as it was VERY HOT & sunny and he was basically drenched in sweat lugging people’s luggage in and out of the shuttle. Out of everyone in the shuttle, DW and I were the only people that made eye contact with the driver or offered a tip for his hard work. Luckily, though he had help from a guy who must have been a group leader and shoved his way to the front and began loading his group’s luggage simultaneously – not hiding the fact that he was ensuring their prompt departure before anyone else.

About two minutes later, as we came up to the security checkpoint at the Port, DW tapped me on the shoulder – I assumed she was trying to get my attention to point out the ALLURE – only to realize that not two feet from us, across the aisle in the shuttle is the sick kid from CVS slumped back with a plastic grocery bag on his lap (in case of another emergency I presume). At this point I take one big breath, as images of the “host” monkey from Outbreak dance in my head, and decide not to breathe until we get dropped off at the terminal hoping that they head to the Carnival terminal (SPOILER ALERT: This wouldn’t be our last encounter).

Also about this time we DID get the first glimpse of the great ALLURE OF THE SEAS, gracing the skyline of Port Everglades!

1269279_10101411602324729_1753129280_o.jpg

It was just a few minutes past 11:30am when we entered the expansive Terminal 18, exactly one hour from the time we left the hotel, and I noticed that it didn’t appear they were boarding yet as there still seemed to be quite a lot of people upstairs sitting – although by the time we were checked in and taking our Welcome Aboard photo, many of the roped off areas had been cleared out. The RCI reps had us playing musical chairs for a few moments, but soon enough, at 12:00pm on the nose we were on the gangway.

IMG_6920.JPG

IMG_6921.JPG

IMG_6923.JPG

Entry.jpg

Once we shook out the glaze that had formed on our eyes from admiring the Royal Promenade, we made it up to Central Park for lunch at Giovanni’s Table. This lunch was well worth the $15pp charge – Here is a link to the menu posted by Familygoboston http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38152637&postcount=23

We had the Antipasti per Due, Lasagna Tradizionale, and the Gamberoni al Forno – Also tried their cannolis and the chocolate hazelnut fudge cake…the cake was the winner in that head-to-head matchup.

Another thanks to Familygoboston for the Giovanni's tip!

FOODIE ALERT:

IMG_20130818_124957.jpg

The time was now about 1:10pm so we decided to take the short (and uncomplicated...remember) walk to our room to check it out.

Here is a unique perspective of the room. Sorry for the messiness -- this photo was actually taken a week later just before we disembarked.

TRAVEL ALERT: No I did not install a hidden camera...this was taken using my Galaxy Nexus phone's "Photo-Sphere" option.

IMG_20130906_152448.JPG

After that we decided to check out the rest of this ship which included a stop for coffee and cookies in the MDR and a full tour of the Spa – I did not take any pictures of the spa because I was busy keeping DW from walking into walls as she gawked at all the services and treatments they offered.

Just a few photos I took while wandering...starting with a view from our balcony..

Disregard the ominous clouds you see; they didn't materialize into anything, they just blew out to sea and made way for a sunny sailaway!

IMG_20130818_132534.jpg

IMG_20130818_120732.jpg

IMG_6926.JPG

IMG_6934.JPG

IMG_6938.JPG

IMG_6955.JPG

Our first CruiseCritic run in occurred just past 3pm at the Wipeout Bar!. After the purchase of a frozen beverage for the wife and a cold Boston Lager for myself, and amidst the bartender trying to pronounce my last name, I hear my name is being called from elsewhere. FamilyOreoTreats (a.k.a. Paul) had seemingly overheard DW and I’s names being committed to memory by the friendly bartender.

IMG_6943.JPG

After a friendly exchange with Paul and his wife, DW and I enjoyed our beverages while watching the Flowrider. This was by far my favorite area to take pictures...loved the tricks (more on that Day 7) and of course the wipeouts!

IMG_6940.JPG

(SPOILER ALERT: The girl pictured in the foreground in the pink shorts, would go on to win the "best-of" competition on day 7...nailed a one legged surf while touching her toes! Think ballerina style...not crouched down :eek:)

IMG_6958-2.jpg

Up Next: Strategic Sailaway Escape!

Loving your review, and your style of writing!!! You are HILARIOUS!!! Keep it coming. Want to hear more about pukeboy, but hope you and DW didn't contract anything. Wondering what that family said when they checked in, and the agent asks that infamous question...."Have you been sick, or vomited in the last 48 hours?" As the kid is holding a puke bag:rolleyes:

Loving your review, and your style of writing!!! You are HILARIOUS!!! Keep it coming. Want to hear more about pukeboy, but hope you and DW didn't contract anything. Wondering what that family said when they checked in, and the agent asks that infamous question...."Have you been sick, or vomited in the last 48 hours?" As the kid is holding a puke bag:rolleyes:

DW and I were also very curious as to their response to that question...whatever they said, I know that they were allowed on! :cool:

And thank you for your compliments. Much appreciated :)

After the Flowrider, we headed back to the room to empty the suitcases before the muster drill; this was so the room was organized and we could concentrate on getting the vacation underway!

TRAVEL ALERT: Arrive later to muster to arrive early to Sailaway! Sailaway begins promptly at 5pm and the muster drill concludes at 4:50pm; so you best be already on your way (mentally of course) to wherever you want to be by the time the drill is over!

For this, I recommend a little planning ahead of time:

a) What drink you want to be sipping

b) Where you want to be for sailaway

c) Plot all possible bars/beverage stops in between

Once this is done, find the quickest and least congested route that gets you there with the least amount of stops as possible.

Of course as my luck would have it, we could not have had a longer path. Our muster drill ended at 4:50pm on deck 5 in the AquaTheater and I wanted to get to the port-side bridge wing (deck 14 forward). To get there was pretty easy, one stop at the Boardwalk Bar just outside of the AquaTheater, take the aft elevators up 7 decks to #14, then walk the passenger stateroom corridor all the way forward to the Sundeck! This plan worked flawlessly except for one thing, DW and I were a few minutes early to muster, so we got seated all the way down near the stage…this did NOT allow for a quick exit. But there was no wait at the Boardwalk Bar and the deck 14 corridor was nearly empty.

IMG_6957.JPG

We arrived with adult beverages in-hand a few minutes past 5pm and all the spots along the rail had be taken – BLAST! :mad: Anyways, sailaway went off without a hitch – despite the Carnival Freedom leaving its berth first, we ended up sailing out first! I guess, like royalty, the Allure requires all others to kneel until she passes!

IMG_6963.JPG

Here is a CC thread that has excellent pictures from our sailaway - A big thanks to LMaxwell for the pics:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1904070

Here is a borrowed pic from the above post with DW and I "shown":

sailaway.jpg

Loving your review! Looking forward to more

I am originally from La Grange Ill! My family originated there from Germany in the 1800's and I have distant relatives buried at the German Luthern Church there.

I am in Texas now, but La Grange is my roots!

The rest of the afternoon/evening was spent in the Solarium relaxing while DW and I read and absorbed the sea air.

IMG_6971.JPG

IMG_6972.JPG

Since we would be eating late tonight on the way back to room before getting ready for dinner, we stopped at Café Promenade where we had some very tasty finger-sandwiches – mine was of a poppy-seed salami type which was quite exquisite.

Ship's current position (well,at that time!)

Ship-tracking.jpg

IMG_6986.JPG

TRAVEL ALERT: Diner Beware! If reservations for MTD are not made in advance (or any other restaurant for that matter), please note that reservations can only be made for a small window during the day -- reservations cannot be made after 3pm for Specialty restaurants and 4pm for MDR. (SPOILER ALERT: We missed this deadline EVERY day!)

We ate dinner in the MDR tonight and enjoyed it very much; we were seated on deck 5 and sat right next to the 3 deck open-air space (near chandeliers)…by far the best seat we had all week!! I had the strawberry, kiwi and pineapple medley and DW had the Caesar salad – we split a shrimp cocktail. The prime-rib was enjoyed by both of us tonight and it was very good! We tried the Carrot Cake and Almond Chocolate cake for dessert and the carrot cake had the upper hand.

To end the evening, we returned to our muster station to attend the late-night showing of OceanAria…we nearly spoiled the show for ourselves during a walk on the track after dinner during the earlier showing. A wrong turn put us back on deck 6 where we caught a quick glimpse – realizing our blunder, we quickly went back down the stairs to continue our walk. The show was very good – there are, at times, so many things going on that it is impossible I presume to see everything – you know, you are watching one performer then all of a sudden there is a splash out of the corner of your eye and a loud round of applause from the crowd, and you’re just left there saying to yourself…”What the heck was that…Crap, what did I just miss?”

A quick snip-it as we walked back to our room.

IMG_20130818_214142.jpg

Up Next: Day 1 Compass?? & Day 2 Nassau, Bahamas

Okay, so my scanner continues to defy me! In an effort to fulfill at least one promise I made today, I took pictures of the Day 1 compass -- I will use my work scanner tomorrow to do the rest so rest assured, the quality will get better.

IMG_7739.JPG

IMG_7741.JPG

IMG_7742.JPG

IMG_7743.JPG

IMG_7744.JPG

IMG_7745.JPG