Allure 8/18/13 - Eastbound & Down: A Composition of Photos and Other Trip Details

KGSB11

Wow, great review, and can't wait to see how it ends! We're sailing on the Allure on 11/24 and will definitely reread this entire thread before we leave.

Thank you for all of your efforts in putting this together![/quote

Yes - Thanks for all the hard work! We are on the Allure on 11/24 also - 9 of us.... have you signed in on the roll call? Can't wait!

Oh man, I'm so taking the Mojito class! :p

I highly recommend it!!! Just please do not go on an empty stomach -- as I will not be able to guarantee your enjoyment :cool:

As an aside -- I can appreciate your screen-name; as I am assuming it stands for your master's degree. You see, mine also stands for MBA, albeit in a roundabout way!

Great pictures....great review....thanks for sharing

Question on the walking app-Accupedo: Does that app work if you have your Android on Airport Mode?

Thanks and looking forward to more. My trip is coming up shortly. :)

Thanks for the compliment.

Accupedo works perfectly in airplane mode - all data is stored on the phone so there is never a need to synchronize. You just need enough battery to last as long as you'll be walking for ;)

Edited by KGSB11

What day was the Mojito/ margarita class?? Looks like fun, we already ordered the all inclusive drink package.. So it would only be $4.00 ??

The "Mojito Clinic" was on the first sea day (Tuesday) for the Eastern itinerary.

If you have purchased a drink package as you have stated, than Yes, the price would be only $4, which is mainly for the....wait for it...

TRAVEL ALERT: SHAME ON ME...I forgot to mention that the 'Hurricane' GLASS in the picture (center w/ lime) is yours to keep and take home if you wish (not plastic like the Drink 'o Day) - it is included with the price paid ($12 or $4 with drink pkg)

1oO378yODw97rm5GJPEG58xbGZ7h8c5v-PBm_aEflyw=w333-h187-p-no

I am loving your review and pics -- am at work now and totally got engrossed in this review! Thank you for posting the Compass. I see I am going to have to book another cruise on this ship in order to do and see everything! Vintages, Central Park, Boleros, Viking Lounge -- decisions, decisions!:eek:

Once we shook out the glaze that had formed on our eyes from admiring the Royal Promenade, we made it up to Central Park for lunch at Giovanni’s Table. This lunch was well worth the $15pp charge – Here is a link to the menu posted by Familygoboston http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38152637&postcount=23

We had the Antipasti per Due, Lasagna Tradizionale, and the Gamberoni al Forno – Also tried their cannolis and the chocolate hazelnut fudge cake…the cake was the winner in that head-to-head matchup.

Another thanks to Familygoboston for the Giovanni's tip!

[

Aww, thanks for the shout out!!:o I am thoroughly enjoying your review...I got to it pretty late and am a little embarrassed, because it's excellent!! Love your planning details, really great photos and your humor! It takes me back, oh yes, at one time there was a young Boston family who used to leave the kids and the dog with the in laws and sneak away for the cheapest cruise we could find (and back in our day...we were stuck with an inside cabin...both ways!;))

Im loving your narrative and details! Keep on cruising, as we have discovered, not only has it been great for our marriage, but at some point someone, somewhere bestowed us with a Diamond pin and we became one of those people who has been on a bazillion cruises:p:D

Thanks for sharing your review!!

BTW -we always refer to plural Cruise Compass as Compii...as in "can we move these Compii, I need room for the camera gear?";) But we also call the Viking Crown Lounge the "crotch bar"- but that's a story for another day!:eek:

But we also call the Viking Crown Lounge the "crotch bar"- but that's a story for another day!:eek:

Inquiring minds want to know!! I promise not to share it with anyone else.;)

Edited by laedw
grammar

But we also call the Viking Crown Lounge the "crotch bar"- but that's a story for another day!:eek:

Inquiring minds want to know!! I promise not to share it with anyone else.;)

Familygoboston,

Ahh, yes, the Crotch Bar...I do remember you mentioning that in your Oasis review!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31883843#post31883843 :D

Edited by KGSB11

Land Ho!

Today started like most of the other days I have described – I woke up whist we were still underway into St. Thomas, however our destination was within sight. I ventured out to Park Café for the most important beverage of the day and I picked up some bagels and fruit as well; on an aside, Park Café has quite a nice assortment of shmear for the bagels.

IMG_7230.JPG

DW also woke about the same time and we enjoyed breakfast on the balcony as the island grew larger. After we were docked successfully, DW and I got ready to head ashore; our plans for today were simple – lounge around at the beach and do some shopping (DW’s request :cool:)

IMG_7221.JPG

Lots of these guys flying around, showing the captain and pilot the way!

IMG_7201.JPG

On our way out, we hit up Sorrento’s for an early lunch so we wouldn’t need grab something while we were out (read: spend money). The usual staff must have been ashore because they definitely had the B-Crew working. We got our pizza no problem, but DW ordered a diet coke and I a beer. The gentleman, who could barely say “hello” in English, stared at us like we asked him to recite the Magna Carta from memory! He eventually got DW her diet (which it wasn’t) and tried to get me my beer, but tried to use the small plastic soda cups instead – then he wasn’t really sure how to work the tap…so I waved him off and figured I’d grab one “across the street” at Bow & Stern. Also he couldn’t figure out why DW was handing him her SeaPass card for the soda, and waved her off. #facepalm

He was probably new, didn’t bother us, so we progressed unimpeded with the rest of our day.

We took a quick 2 minute taxi ride to Emerald Beach; we picked Emerald Beach for our day because of the close proximity of it to Crown Bay; it also isn’t crowded and does not have an entrance fee like other ‘big-name’ beaches do on the island. We knew that we could both spend a lot of time at the beach and go downtown with plenty of time so long as we went to a nearby beach

EmeraldBeach.jpg

TRAVEL ALERT: I had initally tossed around the idea of walking and estimated it to be about a 20min walk -- this would not have been a good idea as the roads are curvy and hills are involved, so it would have been a bit difficult -- I recommend spending the few D.B.'s on a taxi

Emerald Beach was very nice…lots of families, clean, and plenty of space. It isn’t dead-quiet as there is some background noise as there is a nearby industrial area/airport, but trust me, you don’t notice it over the general “beach noise” (i.e. kids, waves, & neighboring chit-chat).

IMG_7235.JPG

IMG_7238.JPG

IMG_7250-2.jpg

There are two hotels on the beach which rent beach chairs and watersports equipment – so there is plenty to do if you are active. DW and I chose to read, swim leisurely, and enjoy adult beverages for a couple of hours.

IMG_7270.JPG

IMG_7259.JPG

At 2:45pm, we decided to head into town and there was zero wait for a taxi, so we were quickly on our way. A decision was made by our looming hunger to make a quick stop at the ALLURE for a quick bite at the Park Café and to drop off our beach items in the room.

After a Turkey Avocado Panini and a Grilled Cheese Panini, we were in a cab heading for downtown Charlotte Amalie. Spent the remaining time on the island just strolling through the shops; DW looked at jewelry and I fine timepieces.

We did come across one salesman who was selling this ring so hard to DW that at one point I swear he had ME convinced that I needed to buy one for myself. Eventually we were able to release ourselves from the ring’s tractor-beam and make our way back to Crown Bay.

This building that caught my eye on the way back to Crown Bay -- look for it while downtown, it is on Hassel Island (one closer to downtown)

IMG_7286.JPG

The last thing that I wanted to do was have a drink at Crown Bay…we did this in 2010 and it was a fun way to both end a fun day ashore and admire the ship. At this time, DW also got her first taste of a Bushwacker – to which she was an instant fan - just disappointed that it was at the end of the day and not earlier.

IMG_20130821_115324.jpg

Once back onboard we both headed for the room to sit down and rest for a bit before dinner. I took the opportunity to watch the Coast Guard boat troll around in the water ensuring our safe departure; also found out through their brief fun-spirited conversation with a group of guys onboard that the gun on the bow of the their boat is a .308 versus the .50 which the machismo guys had hoped for.

IMG_7318.JPG

It was also at this time that my newly discovered book-worm of a wife, had not only finished her book, but informed me that she could not possibly go the rest of the cruise without knowing what happens next -- soooo, the awesome and understanding DH that I am, offered to let her use my Kindle to which she quickly downloaded E.L James book part 2.

IMG_7359.JPG

Tonight’s dinner was lamb and it was good but the main-course was the drama ensuing at the table next to us. So DW ordered a champagne Bellini and I a very Long Island Tea and we people watched and gossiped with the other table beside us.

Enter the ‘Snorting dad’ and his girls from breakfast a few days ago…and his entire family, or part of them…that is whichever part of the family wasn’t in the process of yelling at each other, a waiter, or storming out…or chasing after said member who stormed out. Or other members who would storm-IN and then out. In short, it was entertaining, and they never made it past the bread appetizer before they all left upset and the fine waiters of Royal Caribbean International prepared their table for the next diners.

After dinner and a quick tour of Entertainment Place which included a very brief stop in Studio B for the Battle of the Sexes game, we were seated second row for the comedy show. We enjoyed ourselves very much, there were times I was nervous that my drink would spill completely out we were laughing so much. The RCI host (Rita?) from New Zealand was pretty funny, the opener, Phil Tag, was hysterical, and the second comedian, Rondell Sheridan, was okay.

On our way back to our balcony where our evenings usually ended, DW wanted to enjoy the Caribbean air – this entailed a quick stop at the Trellis Bar in Central Park; A really nice layout and location for a night-cap. I headed to Vintages to get a glass of vino and got sucked in to the vortex.

Now, I’m guessing that they were very slow this entire cruise as I never saw more than a few people in there at a time – and anytime I was in there, it seemed as if they were dying and anxious to strike up a conversation with someone, as if they were puppies at a pet store trying to impress their potential new friends.

This ended up being very good for me, as every time I stopped in, I was tasting at least one or two wines before I made a decision - something that I am only accustomed to at a small, “Ma n’ Pa” wineshop near me; needless to say it was a nice extra touch which really played to the overall experience of this cruise. So after my two free tastes and some conversation about tomorrow’s port, St. Maarten (which according to Rumen, is the favorite stop of most staff – look for them at Sharky’s Bar just off the pier), I was on my way back to the Trellis Bar with my selection in my hand, Belle Glos Pinot Noir.

It was quite nice conversing and enjoying the sounds of Central Park, but pretty soon we were both empty and I in need of a refill for the balcony; this time DW came with me to Vintages – I think to keep an eye on me since I always took too long :rolleyes: – but this time, she too was drawn in. This turned into about a 30 minute time-warp of free tastings for her and I, and conversations with Rumen the winetender, before my balcony beverage selection was made, an Italian Toscana called Lucente.

And it was time to sit back and wait for Maho Beach to steam closer!

Wine.jpg

Up Next: Day 5, St. Maarten – Maho Beach and Johnnie Walker

I actually have tried Tripit many a time...in fact every vacation I give it another try (including this one). I'll admit there are conveniences to using it, but I always end up using the paper-copies more.

Best and most elaborate review Iv'e read to date. We are scheduled for a October 27th cruise. We also booked Giovanni's for lunch the first day. I'm wondering if I should cancel and try to get it for the 10 buck like you did. I guess the worst that could happen is I pay 15 at the door.

As for Tripit, I too would rather go with paper. I just don't feel comfortable giving web sites all that person travel information.

Edited by believer33323

Familygoboston,

Ahh, yes, the Crotch Bar...I do remember you mentioning that in your Oasis review!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31883843#post31883843 :D

I wish the story was more interesting, but in reality, it was just bad ship design!!

Or maybe they did it on purpose!;) But on the older ships the cant of the glass in the Viking Crown Lounge perched above the pool, allowed the pool guests to look straight up and see into the VCL and see everyone's lower halves in full and living color!:eek: It was funny because the way the glass was designed, you couldn't see the top half of the people at all, so unless you recognized the clothing (or lack of it!) you wouldn't even know who was being "revealed" to you!

More Flowrider observing before heading to On-Air for Movie Soundtrack Trivia.

Trivia was more fun because of the rather loud group we sat next to…again Alaska_Planner, looking in your direction. DW or I didn’t get many correct, but it was fun to see a few more CC people again.

:D

i should change my screen name to trivia-holic!!!