Tipping

cheerldrmom

We tip extra to certain bartenders if they do go above an beyond, ie remember our favourite drink, keep us topped up, etc. If it's just a "fly-by" or one time order, then no, we don't usually tip extra above the added 15%. Those bartenders that take care of us though, we take care of them back.

Some people don't realize the 15% is already added, and others always tip an average 20%, so add extra, and so on - tipping is an individual practice. If you don't want to add extra for your "45 second" interaction, makes sense to me. We often spend more time getting to know specific bartenders, and they in turn make sure our drinks are always ready in a timely manner and keep us stocked up - worth a little extra $$ to us.

Enjoy your future sailings.

Yeah, I understand that. I spent a good part of my younger years in the service industry and fully understand tipping. On land, I have no problem tipping a waitress 25-30% IF, the service is phenomenal. Normally though AT LEAST 15%. Even if the service is bad, I'll do 10%.

I'm just used to giving a bartender at least a buck cash and would think it would feel weird getting a drink without sliding him a dollar, even though I know the tip is already written in.

Hi guys

I'm hoping someone can give me a definete answer to this because I've heard varying answers so here goes

We embark on our first ever cruise on sun princess next month and would love to know if there will be auto tip on board or not because its Australia based.

Thanks for any help

Mark

What does everyone think about tipping bar staff on top of the 15%? Just some quick math, if you pay $8 for a drink, then 15% is a $1.20 tip. At home I usually tip a buck for each drink I get. So, I think that is good enough. Not too much a bartender can do to make my 45 second experience with them worth an extra dollar on top of the 15%.

I just wonder if people feel like they have to write in an extra amount because the line is there to do so? :confused:

They already took the guess work out of tipping with the auto tipping so just leave it alone. You don't have to worry, it's done and you don't have to tip extra unless something is really really over the top and you want to.

We tip extra to certain bartenders if they do go above an beyond, ie remember our favourite drink, keep us topped up, etc. If it's just a "fly-by" or one time order, then no, we don't usually tip extra above the added 15%. Those bartenders that take care of us though, we take care of them back.

Some people don't realize the 15% is already added, and others always tip an average 20%, so add extra, and so on - tipping is an individual practice. If you don't want to add extra for your "45 second" interaction, makes sense to me. We often spend more time getting to know specific bartenders, and they in turn make sure our drinks are always ready in a timely manner and keep us stocked up - worth a little extra $$ to us.

Enjoy your future sailings.

This is exactly what we do too ;)

Can anyone tell me with any authority, who gets the service charge for the drinks served in the dining rooms? The Assistant Waiters who normally serve the drinks, get their tips from the pool. To my mind this is double dipping by the cruise lines. It shows the inequity of the system.

Cheers

Bernie

"inequity"? "double dipping"? Holy loaded language, Batman. The assistant waiter serves the drinks (his tips for that coming from the tip pool); s/he does not make the drinks. The drinks are made by a bartender behind the scenes, to whom that 15% goes. It certainly is possible/likely that wait staff who sell drinks/wine get a tip-out (i.e., a small percentage of that 15%) from that pool, too. Otherwise, waiters would have no incentive to offer wine or drinks. Serving drinks is, after all, additional work on top of serving the meal. This is fairly standard procedure across all restaurants I've ever known.

Can anyone tell me with any authority, who gets the service charge for the drinks served in the dining rooms? The Assistant Waiters who normally serve the drinks, get their tips from the pool. To my mind this is double dipping by the cruise lines. It shows the inequity of the system.

Cheers

Bernie

I thought that happened when they made tips 'suggested' instead of including it in the fare. As for telling with any authority, nope don't have a clue and wouldn't rack my poor brain over it.

Overall, tipping like serving portion is suggested, but up to your appetite and conscience.

What does everyone think about tipping bar staff on top of the 15%? Just some quick math, if you pay $8 for a drink, then 15% is a $1.20 tip. At home I usually tip a buck for each drink I get. So, I think that is good enough. Not too much a bartender can do to make my 45 second experience with them worth an extra dollar on top of the 15%.

I just wonder if people feel like they have to write in an extra amount because the line is there to do so? :confused:

I completely agree. The 15% per mixed-drink is more than adequate for the bar staff. Where people tend to short the bartenders a little is when they ask for sodas on the soda cards. The cards are "taxed 15%" upon purchase but no additional tips are collected for each of the re-fills.

I will usually drop a five on a bartender or waiter who brings us sodas on the card especially if we frequent that venue during the cruise.

Archived