Clothing on Celebrity

Capella Black

Hi all,

I'm a third time cruiser, but new to Celebrity, and I'm trying to work out what type of clothing would be appropriate while on board. As far as formal dining goes, alls well - my OH and I love black tie, and so will stick with that.

The question is what to wear during the day. We're in our twenties, and would typically wear jeans/denim shorts/skirts and t-shirts during the day. Is that too slob by for Celebrity (Infinity, 30th Sept cruise)? Also on smart casual dining nights - is denim poor form, or pretty normal?

Thanks for any help - I'd hate to feel out of place or make others uncomfortable, but also want to be myself when possible!

Hi,

I'm recently back from a cruise on Silhouette, I really don't think you have a problem with your jeans, shorts and 'T' shirts during the day. Personally I would not have felt at all comfortable in the evening if I was not a little bit more smart than that, the vast majority of people I saw around the ship in the evening were not wearing clothes which were quite so casual but there were a few.

On smart casual nights my husband and sons wore smart chinos and shirts with no tie and I wore a dress or linen trousers and a floaty top (I am quite a bit older than you though).

Hope this helps. :)

Karen

Jeans day or night are fine.

In the evenings I personally like to wear jeans with a crisply ironed long sleeved shirt and smart shoes. Polo shirts I leave for the golf course. Just not smart enough for me in the evenings.

I also wear either a black dinner jacket or white tux' on the formal nights.

IMHO Europeans seem to have more style and dress senseicon6.gif

Hey! I'm on the same cruise as you (yay! Only 3 weeks to go!) and am in a similar boat so to speak! It's our 3rd cruise but our first with celebrity. We are in our early thirties. For dinner, for the smart casual nights, I had planned on skirt/black tights/boots/top type outfit although I was going to wear skinny jeans and a nice top too. I could be wrong but in my head there are different types of jeans. Some are dressy and some aren't. It depends on the cut and what is worn with them I think. Maybe someone can help! How excited are you by the way!? :-D

I agree, shorts,tops and jeans and denim are all fine during the day but you need something a little more dressy than jeans in the evening for the casual dining.

I must say though there are some very smart jeans which would be acceptable to Celebrity but there would only be a handful of passengers who would wear them to dine. Its whether you want to go with the majority or do your own thing.

The web site says jeans are OK as long as they are smart i.e no tears, rips etc.

It also depends on where you are eating in the evening. The smart jeans would be OK in the buffet, at a push in the dining room but out of place in the speciality restaurants.

Lots of people frown on jeans in the formal dining areas but you do what suits you both and enjoy your cruise.

Hi everyone, and thanks for the helpful and speedy responses! From what everyone's saying, I'll go with my normal clothing for daywear, and pack a barrage of more casual dresses for dinner. Sadly that means ill have to go buy some - it's a hard life!

Hey! I'm on the same cruise as you (yay! Only 3 weeks to go!) and am in a similar boat so to speak! It's our 3rd cruise but our first with celebrity. We are in our early thirties. For dinner, for the smart casual nights, I had planned on skirt/black tights/boots/top type outfit although I was going to wear skinny jeans and a nice top too. I could be wrong but in my head there are different types of jeans. Some are dressy and some aren't. It depends on the cut and what is worn with them I think. Maybe someone can help! How excited are you by the way!? :-D

Hiya betterthanvegas! I am beyond excited at the moment, and possibly even more so having heard from you - always slightly worried when I pick a new ship that ill be the youngest by several decades, and be labelled the annoying kids! So good to know there's at least four of us young'uns!

Hi all,

I'm a third time cruiser, but new to Celebrity, and I'm trying to work out what type of clothing would be appropriate while on board. As far as formal dining goes, alls well - my OH and I love black tie, and so will stick with that.

The question is what to wear during the day. We're in our twenties, and would typically wear jeans/denim shorts/skirts and t-shirts during the day. Is that too slob by for Celebrity (Infinity, 30th Sept cruise)? Also on smart casual dining nights - is denim poor form, or pretty normal?

Thanks for any help - I'd hate to feel out of place or make others uncomfortable, but also want to be myself when possible!

Jeans, t-shirts and shorts are fine during the day, but for dinner, you need a shirt with a collar and slacks for men.

I don't take jeans, since they are heavy and not particularly comfortable in hot weather. I like khakis with shorts during the day. I rented a Tux on our first X cruise, but since the percentage of men in Tuxes was less than 30%, I take a nice business suit for formal nights.

I think nice jeans for dinner with the appropriate shoes and top are fine on Celebrity as long as being in the minority wearing jeans is OK with you (it is with me). I also wear a blazer for a dressier look (I am female). We also do tuxedo and fancy dresses on formal night. Have a great cruise.

You will be fine in your regular clothes, but I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to pick up some casual dresses.

About being the youngest, just remember some of us oldsters either have fond memories or think we are still young. We forget about the 30-40 years between us, so we won't all be thinking you are annoying kids, but will be looking at you fondly remembering our youth and wishing we still had that much energy. And some of us, sadly not me, still have that energy and can party late and still get up and take a nice tour in the morning.

I'm glad you are going to have a lovely cruise, and wish we were on the same cruise with your beautiful attitude. Maybe someday.

Hi all,

We just got off the Infinity. My daughter is 29. Other than formal night, when she dressed up. She wore jeans or yoga pants but looks cute in either. :D We were assigned Blu, and while they recommended smart casual, they were fine the nights we ate there and also attended the Elite events in whatever we wore, but always looked presentable. We ate in the Ocean View quite often. We wore dresses for the SS United States. After a full day excursions on our British Isle cruise, which we typically wore jeans for, the last thing we wanted to do was get dressed up. The days were long. Even I stayed in jeans most nights. Our jeans were presentable. I saw a few couples in shorts and capris.

Do prepare yourself, I'd say the average age on Infinity was 65-70. Whenever we were queueing to get back on the ship, they would approach my daughter and try and point her towards the crew line. I guess if you are cute and under 30, they assume you are crew.

You will be fine in your regular clothes, but I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to pick up some casual dresses.

About being the youngest, just remember some of us oldsters either have fond memories or think we are still young. We forget about the 30-40 years between us, so we won't all be thinking you are annoying kids, but will be looking at you fondly remembering our youth and wishing we still had that much energy. And some of us, sadly not me, still have that energy and can party late and still get up and take a nice tour in the morning.

I'm glad you are going to have a lovely cruise, and wish we were on the same cruise with your beautiful attitude. Maybe someday.

Wish you were too - sound like a great cruiser to spend time with! And I'm well aware of how age and late nights don't always correlate - some of my latest and craziest nights cruising were with my mother and grandmother! I just know that there can be some preconceptions about those in their twenties, which I guess is why I'm being careful with my clothing - don't want to add to the stereotype!

I couldn't agree more, I made a point before our cruise (which was our first) to share a taxi to the port area because I wanted to meet other people on our cruise. We shared with a lovely (older even than us :eek:) couple from Arizona who I now keep in touch with. I thought the wide range of ages and nationalities was a really positive element of our cruise experience; both in fellow cruisers and the staff. If you share a desire to embrace an experience then far better to concentrate on what makes you alike than what separates you. I hope this young couple have a wonderful holiday, if I were there I would join you in looking fondly on. :)

Karen

Hi all,

What or who is an OH?

Hey capellablack! Sounds like we'll be among the youngest. It's something I've considered and would much rather be one of the youngest than one of the oldest in terms of we're not into mad out til 4am every night partying! Not able for it any more! Actually my parents would put me to shame in that regard! ;-) Very excited to try out sone cocktails in the martini bar and sone lovely beer in michaels club though.

Where do you live? We'll be arriving from Dublin into heathrow on the morning of the 30th.

I love your post. Such a great way to describe those "30-40 years".

Hey capellablack! Sounds like we'll be among the youngest. It's something I've considered and would much rather be one of the youngest than one of the oldest in terms of we're not into mad out til 4am every night partying! Not able for it any more! Actually my parents would put me to shame in that regard! ;-) Very excited to try out sone cocktails in the martini bar and sone lovely beer in michaels club though.

Where do you live? We'll be arriving from Dublin into heathrow on the morning of the 30th.

My boyfriend passes on his regards! We live in Hertfordshire, England, so we're planning on just driving there, arriving as soon as we can finish packing!

Hi all,

We did infinity, no jeans for smart casual, ok on casual nights. Daytime you are fine, remember that if on tour to a church, some don't allow shorts. Where is your cruise to?

I would advise just wearing what YOU are most comfortable with! Celebrity is not "stuffy" at all when it comes to how people dress. As others have said, it is a mix of just about everything, and believe me, you will see everything. :D Enjoy your cruise!

Archived