Seven Seas Voyager: Last Night of The Proms!

UKCruiseJeff

Travelcat2, the last night of the proms, is a very British thing, basically its a series of classical concerts that are put on by a variety of international orchestra's over a around 2 months, the music ranges from sea shantys to modern classics to Brahms etc, this year they done a whole concert on doctor who music. The last night is very traditional and include many classic pieces of British music, including Jerusalem, land of hope and glory, rule Britannia etc, etc. its all held at the royal Albert hall in London at this time of the year.

The Albert hall is decked out in union jacks, some of the Brits wear, union jacks waist coat, bow ties etc. its so popular that they now outside venues around Britain, where its broadcast, in Hyde park there where over 55,000 people standing, watching and joining in, there was also venues in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland which featured the voyager.

Hope this goes some way to explains the last night of the proms, but my words cannot explain the experience, but if you ever get the chance to see it, then you can see why everybody consider us to be reserved:-)

We'd enjoyed the company of sweet cruise friends from AZ here at home last Sunday, just before they boarded Voyager in Southampton. Had we realised they'd have such a grandstand view of the Last Night of the Proms whilst in Belfast, we'd have given them a little background info - or at least taught them the words to Land of Hope and Glory!

What a fun surprise to see our favourite ship there in the background - I wonder if Sue and Ivars were there?

Charltonkerry,

Yes, prom season is the two months but the last night of the proms is just the last night and the highlight of the season. ;)

Loved Nigel Kennedy's gig. So much fun! He can playbthe violin!:eek:

Thought Pomp and Circs was a tad fast .....

I hope our American visitors enjoyed it. It encapsulates all that is British!

Jeff

Travelcat2, the last night of the proms, is a very British thing, basically its a series of classical concerts that are put on by a variety of international orchestra's over a around 2 months, the music ranges from sea shantys to modern classics to Brahms etc, this year they done a whole concert on doctor who music. The last night is very traditional and include many classic pieces of British music, including Jerusalem, land of hope and glory, rule Britannia etc, etc. its all held at the royal Albert hall in London at this time of the year.

The Albert hall is decked out in union jacks, some of the Brits wear, union jacks waist coat, bow ties etc. its so popular that they now outside venues around Britain, where its broadcast, in Hyde park there where over 55,000 people standing, watching and joining in, there was also venues in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland which featured the voyager.

Hope this goes some way to explains the last night of the proms, but my words cannot explain the experience, but if you ever get the chance to see it, then you can see why everybody consider us to be reserved:-)

Thank you so much for the explanation. It sounds lovely:)

I have been to the proms a couple of times; including at the time of the Queens Golden Jubilee. We were in England and Scotland for three weeks last month; alas, not for the final night of the proms. I so want to be there for the final night; unsure of back at Royal Albert or Hyde Park; both would be fantastic.

I am hoping to move to The Netherlands next year; that would sure help facilitate return trips for the Proms.

Marc

PS Still can't figure out why Jerusalem is such a popular National Hymn/Song

PS Still can't figure out why Jerusalem is such a popular National Hymn/Song

Hi Marq,

The whole thing about the "last Night of The Proms" is that each and every piece of music is solely intended to extract and squeeze the last drop of both patriotism and indeed - nationalism for all parts of the UK and to bring us all together for all those that participate. In fact it is pretty much identical every year.

This year was pretty much standard format - a few bits in a few bits out. It is also intended to be tremendous fun with bits of audience participation and and an ongoing fight between the audience and conductor for control of the event. This is not a concert where you must be quiet and not cough ....

Normal and regular pieces include normally some Vaughan Williams (The Lark Ascending ) for us all (but a nod to Wales) ..... Britten (The Building of the House ) nearly always the traditional Londonderry Air (Danny Boy) for Ireland ( .... well let's say Northern Ireland ...) , Bernstein ('Make our Garden Grow' ) a nod to the verdant land of England .... Lloyd (HMS Trinidad March ) ALWAYS Arne Rule Brittania and Elgar Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 in D major ('Land of Hope and Glory') for us all, the wonderful evocative and moving Benjamin Britain version of the National Anthem is considered a part of the concert not just the traditional Queen thing. ... And to ensure the Scots don't feel left out Auld Lang Syne without the orchestra and after the end of the official concert is sung by the audience. This is I'd say the annual nationalisitc and patriotic event of the year ........:)

You mention Jerusalem and ask "why?".

Jerusalem is really special and I think it is because it is possibly the only hymn that attmepted to place Jesus in England's verdant land or at least asks whether he might have visited. I think it paints a picture in the mind of patriotic Brits. It does reach in to a part of the British phsyche that nothing else seems to do .. the incredible and unexpected words of William Blake.

And did those feet in ancient time

Walk upon england's mountains green?

And was the holy lamb of god

On england's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the countenance divine

Shine forth upon our clouded hills?

And was jerusalem builded here

Among those dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!

Bring me my arrows of desire!

Bring me my spear: o clouds unfold!

Bring me my chariots of fire!

I will not cease from metal fight;

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand

Till we have built jerusalem

In england's green and pleasant land.

I have been both fortunate and sometimes unfortunate to travel and have travelled very extensively. I am not a Christian, but I am always homesick when away, particularly those early days when I travelled without my wife and whenever the plane passes over the channel - then and now - and I look out of a plane window to see the wonderful green land below of England for some reason Jerusalem is the recurring thing I hear, and there is often a tear to the eye because "I am home". I do not know why. :)

I hope you find this explanation puts a touch more flesh about The Last Night ......

Well done Jeff, you summed it up so much better than I did. Jerusalem hits the spot every time.

That is so kind ...thanks!

I think "the last night" is so British I thought I'd try and explain it.

The one thing that was missing - sadly - was The Sailors Hornpipe - the traditional annual battle between audience and orchestra. Google brings up performance or two.

Anyone who saw our Royal Family on the Royal barge on the rainy Thames during last year's pageant when the Duke of Ed was taken ill might recall the whole Royal Family jigging up and down and laughing as themSailors Hornpipe was performed. This was their nod to The Last Night of The Proms where the whole audience jigs up and down and makes lots of noise with various instruments etc ...

Hopefully it will be back next year!:)

Hi Marq,

I hope you find this explanation puts a touch more flesh about The Last Night ......

Jeff, yes. Thanks for explanation on Jerusalem. I have watched on youtube many last night performances. When we went during Queen's Jubilee we, too, were caught up in Patriotic songs. As for Auld Lang Syne, we enjoyed that as finale for Tattoo this summer.

Marc

Archived