Buying a Hat in Cartagena

PCWalton1

Hi,

In hot sunny weather I usually wear baseball caps. But for our upcoming 15 day Panama Canal cruise I was thinking of getting something more appropriate for the area :). Our first port stop after getting on the ship in Ft Lauderdale is Cartagena, can I get a nice hat there at a reasonable price or should I wait till the next day when we stop in Colon?

I know Panama is noted for their hats but would it really matter? Can't I get something comparable in Cartagena? :D

thanks

Bill

Hi,

In hot sunny weather I usually wear baseball caps. But for our upcoming 15 day Panama Canal cruise I was thinking of getting something more appropriate for the area :). Our first port stop after getting on the ship in Ft Lauderdale is Cartagena, can I get a nice hat there at a reasonable price or should I wait till the next day when we stop in Colon?

I know Panama is noted for their hats but would it really matter? Can't I get something comparable in Cartagena? :D

thanks

Bill

Are you looking for a "Panama hat"? If so , they are NOT made in Panama but in Ecuador! You may be able to find a hat but if you are looking for the genuine article you"ll have to go to Montechristi , Ecuador. That's what we did.

Are you looking for a "Panama hat"? If so , they are NOT made in Panama but in Ecuador! You may be able to find a hat but if you are looking for the genuine article you"ll have to go to Montechristi , Ecuador. That's what we did.

Well, I won't be making any side trips to Ecuador this cruise so I will make do with what I find in Colombia. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Everyone in our group of eight bought panama hats when we were in Cartagena. You will find many typs and all the stores in old town sell them.

they really came in handy on the rest of our Panama cruise.

Wondering if you would share the price range for the hats?

They had different styles. And they had a deal if you bought three.

I really cannot remember exactly, but I would think it was under $25.00USD a piece at the very most.

they were really nice. The men in our group all wore them on the pool deck during sea days. they also had them in colors too, beside the natural staw look.

They had different styles. And they had a deal if you bought three.

I really cannot remember exactly, but I would think it was under $25.00USD a piece at the very most.

they were really nice. The men in our group all wore them on the pool deck during sea days. they also had them in colors too, beside the natural staw look.

Thank you!

Archived