Sugar Free Desserts Question

jd_1976

This is a random question but my boyfriend and I went on a HAL cruise last year and the dessert options for diabetics was incredible. There was something great at every meal. We went on a Carnival cruise in April and the selection was terrible. Vanilla Ice cream was pretty much the only option. We are cruising Royal next on the Allure of the Seas and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know what the selection is like.

Thanks!

Every evening in the Main Dining Room (and also in the Windjammer buffet) there is usually one sugar-free dessert option (a pie, cake, or pastry) and one sugar-free ice cream option. The SF Key Lime Pie is incredible. Remember though that none of these are carb-free or even low-carb, so exercise caution. And restraint! LOL If you can. :D

This is a random question but my boyfriend and I went on a HAL cruise last year and the dessert options for diabetics was incredible. There was something great at every meal. We went on a Carnival cruise in April and the selection was terrible. Vanilla Ice cream was pretty much the only option. We are cruising Royal next on the Allure of the Seas and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know what the selection is like.

Thanks!

well do you need sugar free, or no sugar added( as sugar free will have artificial sweetener)

most are SF, and on occasion they were the only ones that appealed( and they were pretty darn tasty)

you can get a bowl of fresh berries usually without issue. and last time a table mate had a standing order for chocolate ice cream.

Do the SF options apply to all the ships (OP indicated they were going to be on the Allure). We will be on the Independence next month and a SF option will definitely help! Have been on several Celebrity cruises and the only thing I didn't like SF were the cookies.

Thanks guys! My BF is the diabetic but he has a very tight control of it and controls it strictly through diet and exercise. Cruises are the only time he likes to splurge a little.

I am Type II Diabetic. Like your BF I control it through diet & exercise. Yes there is Sugar Free options on board. I also splurge on a cruise that is one of the reasons we use the stairs instead of the elevator. :D

They have a sugar free dessert every night. Sometimes those are even better than the ones with sugar. I love the coconut cake :D My DH orders SF every night and never has a complaint. Definitely more choices than just ice cream. And they also have SF cookies every day in the windjammer. :)

And I agree,,the sugar free are delicious:D

RCL was horrible in their offering.

Maybe sf oatmeal cookies and a couple of other offerings.

Right, I remember you now. You wrote an absolutely scathing review about the food onboard Jewel of the Seas. Sorry you didn't find anything you liked but as you can see, the rest of us enjoyed the sugar-free options. I'm sure OP's will find something to their liking. :)

Their sugar free coconut cake that they use to have on their menu was fabulous and I am not a big dessert eater. I really miss that it is not there anymore.

We were on the Enchantment last April before the repo to Port Canaveral. We recieved a card to fill out half way during the cruise to say what we liked, what was wrong or missing. I put down that I really missed that cake. Two nights later the waiter said there was a surprise for the table. They brought a whole coconut cake. It was wonderful and such a surprise. It really was something so thoughtful and fabulous.

I miss the Enchantment.

I really, really, wish I could know the carb count of the sugar free deserts, heck, of all the foods, really! :) But I emailed RCI and they said no. :(

I'm a carb counter, and while I know I can eat my fish and salad on the ship just like at home, I wanted to be able to eat yummy new foods! :D

I'm trying to decide if I should *try* a couple of bites of yummy soups and sugar free deserts, or not even bother trying since I don't know the carb count and it will just leave me wanting more!

My husband just looks at me like I'm crazy!

I really, really, wish I could know the carb count of the sugar free deserts, heck, of all the foods, really! :) But I emailed RCI and they said no. :( ....I'm a carb counter, and while I know I can eat my fish and salad on the ship just like at home, I wanted to be able to eat yummy new foods!

I am a carb counter too and what works for me is to decline the bread (savory bites!), rice, potatoes, and pasta at dinner in order to indulger in a dessert, sugar-free or otherwise. I'm thinking the SF desserts are fairly close to the regular ones in terms of calories, seeing as they are still made with white flour and dairy products. Only the sweetener is changed out, right? If I want some chocolate for dessert, I'm going to have it and then I will take the stairs for the rest of the night. ;):D

I am a carb counter too and what works for me is to decline the bread (savory bites!), rice, potatoes, and pasta at dinner in order to indulger in a dessert, sugar-free or otherwise. I'm thinking the SF desserts are fairly close to the regular ones in terms of calories, seeing as they are still made with white flour and dairy products. Only the sweetener is changed out, right? If I want some chocolate for dessert, I'm going to have it and then I will take the stairs for the rest of the night. ;):D

Try FITDAY. It even has the carb counts of man restaurants. So even if it is not exact it can give you a general idea. I think they might have a Mobil app now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Another vote for surgery-free coconut cake! I always look forward to that.

Yes. Love it too. But sadly lately I have been very sugar alcohol sensitive. Too many SF desserts can wreck my digestive system. And I Don't mean loads of them but even one a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

there are sugar free options in all the food venues - just ask.

and for anyone who needs gluten free - that's also available, but a little bit more difficult. But they have it.

They even have pretty good tasting gluten free bread in the MDR and amazingly good gluten free pizza in sorrentos!!

And in the promenade cafe, they have THE best gluten free cookies EVER!!

and they also have really good sugar free stuff in the promenade cafe as well - according to DH...

Archived