Negative Costa reviews

phider

I've yet to see this "total chaos" (perhaps I've just been lucky) - could you define it please.

Of course - buffet restaurant OVERCROWDED, waiting lines up to 45 minutes (bars, buffet, guest service), service lacks, buffet restaurant often very dirty, coffee machines nearly always under maintenance. Food selection at the buffet very poor.

You wait up to two hours before you can board any tender boat.

The atmosphere at the pools was not good because the pooldecks were always covered by the magrdaomes.

Just to name expamles.

Edited by celebrity_fan

Of course - buffet restaurant OVERCROWDED, waiting lines up to 45 minutes (bars, buffet, guest service), service lacks, buffet restaurant often very dirty, coffee machines nearly always under maintenance. Food selection at the buffet very poor.

The atmosphere at the pools was not good because the pooldecks were always covered by the magrdaomes.

Just to name expamles.

Should change their name to "Costa_Hater".

Edited by Salve

Just to name expamles.

We have found Costa to be the cleanest cruiseline, far superior to Royal Caribbean in particular. Never seen showerheads being unscrewed and washed EVERY day anywhere else.

We also haven't encountered any of the other things you mention, either. But have no idea what you mean by magrdaomes???

We have found Costa to be the cleanest cruiseline, far superior to Royal Caribbean in particular. Never seen showerheads being unscrewed and washed EVERY day anywhere else.

We also haven't encountered any of the other things you mention, either. But have no idea what you mean by magrdaomes???

it is the roof over the pool area that can be opened when weather permits.

Guys, leave NCL Epic alone.

Why? We found her to be great fun. Maybe we went with a positive attitude?:rolleyes:

NCL has built new flagships.

Which my look more pleasing to the eye on the outside but not ships I would want to spend any longer than a week on. The mid-ship cabin we had on the Breakaway was tiny and don't mention the balcony or should I say ledge! :eek:

Of course - buffet restaurant OVERCROWDED - Yes, among the most overcrowded

waiting lines up to 45 minutes (bars, buffet, guest service) - I did not wait for so long

service lacks - Yes.

buffet restaurant often very dirty - I wouldn't say so. What I saw - same as any ship.

coffee machines nearly always under maintenance - A good observation. I saw the same.

Food selection at the buffet very poor - No. The poorest on high seas.

You wait up to two hours before you can board any tender boat - Not in my case.

The atmosphere at the pools was not good because the pooldecks were always covered by the magrodomes.

Just to name expamles.

The major improvement made to the Favolosa/Fascinosa - no more sliding roof over the aft pool. They have a beautiful open pool area a la Holland America or Princess (the pool itself is quite small though..)

Sorry These are just my experiences!!!

I compare to Celebrity (at least sometimes there are even cheaper) and Princess!

Outstanding Food, good service, perfect organization!!!

Even MSC is better than Costa!

Costa is just a waste of money!!!

Not doubt that was your experience.

However, experience is subjective.

Cruise ships are designed the way they are designed and no "experience" positive or negative can change it.

One can state that such and such ship is "beautiful", but that statement has zero value for those who know that the ship has a long list of "lack of...".

So some of your comments simply reflect technical facts that come from the ship design (crowds, magrodomes) or service concept in effect (worst buffet at sea).

"Dirty buffet and 45 min wait" is not a part of a design or a concept. So this is where subjective experience starts. No one can say this never happens, but from my experience those are isolated episodes.

Of course food and organization on Costa cannot be compared to Celebrity - different classes of cruising.

But I would not hang all the dead cats on Costa.

Their four newest ships are well designed (better than MSC).

Samsara service on these four is well above of "extra comfort features" on RCI, Celebrity and Princess (before the Royal) and it's a way to survive on Costa. Value for money....:confused: Well, Samsara is expensive.

Neither Costa nor MSC are completely "no go" lines. We need to know the right ships.

If they happen to be in righ place at the right time for the right (low) price - it's doable.

Edited by cruisetrail

I would strongly disagree with you there, we found MSC to totally lacking!

Worst cruise we have ever had was on the MSC Musica and thankfully it was only 7 days.

Costa is Costa, Celebrity is Celebrity, we love both and take them both as they are. You cannot draw comparison because they are both totally different.

If Costa is that bad why have you taken 3 cruises with them? :confused:

I compare to Celebrity (at least sometimes there are even cheaper) and Princess!

You were on the costa Deliziosa in 2011, must have like it.

Because:

Then you went on the Costa Pacifica in 2012, must have liked it.

Because:

Then you went on the Costa Fortuna in 2012.

Must have been something that upset you on the Fortuna that you feel you need to spend your time here bashing Costa.

And yet you sailed them 3 times??

You cannot compare Costa with Celebrity because Costa is a 3/4 Star experience, whereas Celebrity is a 5 Star plus experience. It is like comparing a good Holiday Inn with a W hotel. A totally different product.

Celebrity IS more expensive than Costa. Yes, you may find that published brochure prices are similar (especially for Samsara cabins) but generally speaking, Costa is much cheaper than Celebrity. If you are not finding this to be the case, then you need to change your travel agent.

It is, however, fair to compare Costa with MSC - a comparison I would leave to those who have traveled on both lines. I think for the money we paid (£130 for a 3 day cruise in October) the product offered excellent value for money.

The bottom line is, if you want a more perfect, luxury experience you must pay for it.

Edited by kfowinst

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we just returned from Costa Luminosa, I have been on several MSC and royal Carribean and even NCL, I will Never travel on another Costa! For me this is a bold statement, one i dont like to use, but the experience for us was not a good one. I personally felt that the lack of customer service, decent food etc, was due to Not enough training for the staff. I was unable to eat alot of the food due to the poor quality, and really hated to have to give such a poor review. I think more quality would be obtained if perhaps the staff knew what was expected from them, before an officer chewed them out in front of the staff! :mad:

The Ship was Really a beautiful ship, and I kept looking for the Positive even when things just kept getting worse! I think since MSC and Luminosa are both Italian Lines, perhaps Costa should send their ship officers for a few weeks of training with MSC, and then train the restof the staff on the same concepts...im sorry for those this may offend but this was my experience! This was the first cruise I lost weight on, and though I met some really nice people, the entertainment onboard was lacking along with the food, the kids club activities, and overall customer service. There is a Nice Big Screen tv in the middle pool deck, which is completly Under-Utilized for the guests, instead it has constant excursion ads even when we have already been to the ports!:confused: What about using it for movie nights under the stars, or Sunday Football, BY the pool etc? ;) We really grew fond of a few staff members but overall found a majority that wont even look up and greet the customer when waiting on them.:( I will be writing a more formal review than this and also plan to talk with Costa, I truly hope others have a more positive experience,but most of all I hope Costa will listen before its too late! :eek:

Hi, we just returned from Costa Luminosa, I have been on several MSC and royal Carribean and even NCL, I will Never travel on another Costa! For me this is a bold statement, one i dont like to use, but the experience for us was not a good one. I personally felt that the lack of customer service, decent food etc, was due to Not enough training for the staff. I was unable to eat alot of the food due to the poor quality, and really hated to have to give such a poor review. I think more quality would be obtained if perhaps the staff knew what was expected from them, before an officer chewed them out in front of the staff! :mad:

The Ship was Really a beautiful ship, and I kept looking for the Positive even when things just kept getting worse! I think since MSC and Luminosa are both Italian Lines, perhaps Costa should send their ship officers for a few weeks of training with MSC, and then train the restof the staff on the same concepts...im sorry for those this may offend but this was my experience! This was the first cruise I lost weight on, and though I met some really nice people, the entertainment onboard was lacking along with the food, the kids club activities, and overall customer service. There is a Nice Big Screen tv in the middle pool deck, which is completly Under-Utilized for the guests, instead it has constant excursion ads even when we have already been to the ports!:confused: What about using it for movie nights under the stars, or Sunday Football, BY the pool etc? ;) We really grew fond of a few staff members but overall found a majority that wont even look up and greet the customer when waiting on them.:( I will be writing a more formal review than this and also plan to talk with Costa, I truly hope others have a more positive experience,but most of all I hope Costa will listen before its too late! :eek:

Thanks for sharing your experience

Sorry you had a bad cruise, I guess this line is not for you. Good to try new things though. We generally found the opposite with food. We thought it was delicious. However I can see that the food suits a more European palate, so I am not surprised if an American palate does not appreciate it. I don't mean this rudely, I think red meat and certain food prepared in the US is far superior to European offerings, we just enjoy and prepare different foods.

I kinda agree about service - it is a little standoffish but not rude. Again probably the difference between EU and US service styles. I'm British and don't personally like it when servers are over-familiar! Different strokes for different folks!

Interesting idea about the big screen- movies under the stars would bbe great

Thanks for sharing your experience

Sorry you had a bad cruise, I guess this line is not for you. Good to try new things though. We generally found the opposite with food. We thought it was delicious. However I can see that the food suits a more European palate, so I am not surprised if an American palate does not appreciate it. I don't mean this rudely, I think red meat and certain food prepared in the US is far superior to European offerings, we just enjoy and prepare different foods.

I kinda agree about service - it is a little standoffish but not rude. Again probably the difference between EU and US service styles. I'm British and don't personally like it when servers are over-familiar! Different strokes for different folks!

Interesting idea about the big screen- movies under the stars would bbe great

I and myhusband have both lived in differant parts of Europe and we have also done several vacations there..we both Love European food, I just would not classify this food as European Standard. As far as the severs, I dont want themto bemy friend, but lookin my eyes and greet me, so that I dont have to "guess" if you heard or understood my request, or even know I am standing or sitting in front ofyou. Again no European resturant ive been to has ever had servers thatbehaved like this, and the MSC cruises were nothing like thi either, I truly believe it is a lack of training.

Your comments are right on the spot.

Costa's food is a thing that kills the whole product.

Never seen that limited dining options, poor selection of food on other cruise lines.

The mantra about "European palate" is so annoyng.

My friends from England take weekend tours to France to eat!

I come from Europe and my every stop in Europe whether it is London, Paris, Vienna or Prague, starts and continues with some great food.

"European cuisine culture" IMO is above American.

That said, it insults my ears when I hear "poor food on Costa is not poor, it's European".:eek:

My experience with Costa personnel (waiters, spa, buffet) was different than yours and very positive, no complaints.

Again you are right about the ship itself.

By design and amenities the Luminosa is way better than any of MSC ships.

Costa has developed their product (including food and service) the way they want. It's their business.

We, the customers, just need to know what it is before we book a cruise at set our expectations accordingly to prevent disappointment.

I wouldn't mind a short cruise in the Mediterranean on the Deliziosa or the Luminosa if it happens on the right time, in the right place, for the right price.

About the screen.

Yes, again that was exactly my observation. It more irritating than entertaining.

However, note that the quality of the screen on Costa is not the same that is used on Princess for movies. I just wonder if it's suitable for movies.

Thank you for the report.

Edited by cruisetrail

Your comments are right on the spot.

Costa's food is a thing that kills the whole product.

Never seen that limited dining options, poor selection of food on other cruise lines.

The mantra about "European palate" is so annoyng.

My friends from England take weekend tours to France to eat!

I come from Europe and my every stop in Europe whether it is London, Paris, Vienna or Prague, starts and continues with some great food.

"European cuisine culture" IMO is above American.

That said, it insults my ears when I hear "poor food on Costa is not poor, it's European".:eek:

My experience with Costa personnel (waiters, spa, buffet) was different than yours and very positive, no complaints.

Again you are right about the ship itself.

By design and amenities the Luminosa is way better than any of MSC ships.

Costa has developed their product (including food and service) the way they want. It's their business.

We, the customers, just need to know what it is before we book a cruise at set our expectations accordingly to prevent disappointment.

I wouldn't mind a short cruise in the Mediterranean on the Deliziosa or the Luminosa if it happens on the right time, in the right place, for the right price.

About the screen.

Yes, again that was exactly my observation. It more irritating than entertaining.

However, note that the quality of the screen on Costa is not the same that is used on Princess for movies. I just wonder if it's suitable for movies.

Thank you for the report.

In MY experience, the food WAS of European food standard. In the MDR pasta was similar to, and as good as, pasta I've eaten in restaurants across Italy. The pieces of meat and fish were typical what I have eaten at weddings in England and Italy. I have not eaten in the savoy or Michelin starred restaurants but I am referring to hilton hotels and similar class of restaurants. I don't eat in the Ledbury or Fat Duck, so perhaps my idea of European standard is lower than yours? On MY Luminosa cruise (October 2013) the food was good to excellent and was definitely of typical European style I.e. In restaurants where you can eat for €30 starter main and house wine, I NEVER said the food was poor and excused it as European!! I wouldn't bother sailing a line where I thought the food was bad.

Because of all the poor reviews I read about Costa food before my cruise I was expecting the worse. I can report that my expectations were very much exceeded, I only had one disappointing dish....now I'm excited about the food on my upcoming celebrity cruises, which do have excellent reviews.

On the plus side, if you don't like the food you can lose weight!!

Edited by kfowinst

After experiencing 14 days on Cunards Queen Elizabeth I can honestly tell you that the food we had on our Costa cruise was of a far higher standard.

Entertainment was similar as was service

Pity we paid x3 for Cunard - never again!

Caryl

In MY experience, the food WAS of European food standard. In the MDR pasta was similar to, and as good as, pasta I've eaten in restaurants across Italy. The pieces of meat and fish were typical what I have eaten at weddings in England and Italy...

Here we go again...

"Food on a cruise ship" is the whole concept - what options are, where and when.

I can see that the food suits a more European palate, so I am not surprised if an American palate does not appreciate it.

On a cruise ship we were prior to Costa we had a choice of 7 main courses in MDR.

On Costa, thanks to Samsara privileges to choose from both MDR and Samsara menus we a had choice of 7 main courses too, but that were Samsara and MDR taken together..:)

Missing evening buffet, missing free alternatives - how can European or American palate appreciate something that is missing?:)

Edited by cruisetrail

Here we go again...

"Food on a cruise ship" is the whole concept - what options are, where and when.

On a cruise ship we were prior to Costa we had a choice of 7 main courses in MDR.

On Costa, thanks to Samsara privileges to choose from both MDR and Samsara menus we a had choice of 7 main courses too, but that were Samsara and MDR taken together..:)

Missing evening buffet, missing free alternatives - how can European or American palate appreciate something that is missing?:)

OK I'll no doubt regret this, but I'll bite.

CT you continue to quote your own personal preferences of your own criteria of what you consider are essentials for a cruise line to be good as though these are absolute standards that we all share.

To say that nationality has no bearing on whether the absence of a dining method is irrelevant, is rather misguided. The absence of an evening dinner buffet is only a negative I when considering food if that is something that matters to you. I've visited Italy more than a dozen times and never seen a buffet restaurant. Similar experience in France and I've spent months there. I could be missing because I'm one of those Europeans that would not consider a buffet for dinner! my preference is traditional dining in a restaurant with waiter service. I do like alternative and speciality restaurants and will use them if they are there but when I do, they are more than half empty on the cruises I've been on. For many when they consider whether they like food on a cruise line, it's not ticking through a list of dining choices but about the food itself. Does it taste good to them. Do they like the type of food. Do they like the choices available on the menu, does it vary?

You are entitled as is everyone to use your own criteria to determine if a line appeals to you. I do get weary of you continually using your criteria as facts that we should all subscribe to as the standard of what is good or bad.

What you call "my criteria":D is cruise industry criteria - the source is cruise ships.

See what other cruise ships offer and get the criteria.

I am not discussing what Mr. Smith likes for lunch. No one cares about it. Neither do I.

What I am doing - assessing cruise ship product in comparison with other products.

One need to understand that.

If he/she does not do that, he/she won't understand why the product has high reputation or low reputation.

Edited by cruisetrail