How early?

pkay414

My friend and I are on a cruise out of Galveston in February. How early does boarding start? I've searched the RCI website but can't find the answer. Our idea is to get on board and start our R&R vacation as early as possible -- or at least get there early enough so we're at the front of the line. We understand we might not be able to get into our cabins if it's before a certain time. We plan to have a carry on with our essentials and go hang out by the pool (weather permitting) and eat lunch on board.

Any advice/help is appreciated.

I have boarded as early as 11am. It all depends how quickly they can turn around the ship the day you board. Most of the time it's between 11 and 12noon. Lunch service usually starts at 11:30am. That is just my experience.

We usually go at the regular time in the afternoon.

Never understood the huge urge to stand outside the port at the crack of dawn just to get on the ship an hour or so before the rest.

And don't give me the "I paid for the day, might as well use it." excuse.

Your there all week...

We are like you (OP), we like boarding early, why wait in a hotel room watching the minutes tick away when you can be at port anticipating the minutes going by with building excitement.

When we board early it is so nice to get candid, not crowded pictures of popular places. We walk around catch an elevator or two and take in the beauty.

Sea Ya

We like to be at the terminal by 11 and be on board by noon for lunch and enjoy touring the ship.

Earlier is best...I'm usually there by 1000am be fore the crowds. why not spend a few extra hours on board....esp. for the shorter cruises...you never know what may happen on the way so start out early and get there and talk while sitting in the waiting area :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

We usually go at the regular time in the afternoon.

Never understood the huge urge to stand outside the port at the crack of dawn just to get on the ship an hour or so before the rest.

And don't give me the "I paid for the day, might as well use it." excuse.

Your there all week...

Wow. I just asked for some information. And I have never used the "I paid for the day..." excuse.

Glad to know we can get there around 10:00. We are only about three hours away so it's not that big a deal -- and we're not having to sit in a hotel room looking at our clocks :) We figured we'd leave here at 7:00 and get down there and get a jump start on our vacation.

Glad to know we can get there around 10:00. We are only about three hours away so it's not that big a deal -- and we're not having to sit in a hotel room looking at our clocks :) We figured we'd leave here at 7:00 and get down there and get a jump start on our vacation.

Just watch that traffic on 45 south near Galveston.

At some point the traffic will come to a complete dead stop for no reason.

We're always at the port at 10:30 am no matter where we are going. But be prepared in Galveston for a foggy morning. We were there in January and while our cruise left on time we couldn't dock on the way back because of heavy fog. The next passengers were taken somewhere in Galveston for lunch and we enjoyed the first day's lunch again :-) We didn't leave the ship until around 2 pm. A lot of people had to make last minute flight changes.

Hozhoni, we have never tried going down quite that early, but I believe for our 2011 Tranatlantic, we were picked up at 10:30 and to the terminal in Barcelona by 10:45 & on board by 11:30. The slowest we got on board was out of San Diego. We had to walk out of the terminal and over to the opposit side then switchback up stairs with our carry ons

We're always at the port at 10:30 am no matter where we are going. But be prepared in Galveston for a foggy morning. We were there in January and while our cruise left on time we couldn't dock on the way back because of heavy fog. The next passengers were taken somewhere in Galveston for lunch and we enjoyed the first day's lunch again :-) We didn't leave the ship until around 2 pm. A lot of people had to make last minute flight changes.

You can usually board by 11.30, but as the above post says beware of fog in Galveston in February. I have seen it happen to friends. The ship could not enter the port till cleared by the CG. One time it did not leave till the following day, but hopefully this will not be your experience. Have a great cruise.

I like to board around 11:30 but that depends on how early we leave our house. We have a 4 hour drive to Galveston. We eat in the car on the road and if we only have one or two bathroom stops we make great time. If we hit Houston around 10:30 on weekends the traffic is light. The ship is usually quiet and there isn't a line to board. We dine in the MDR and enjoy the ship before the crowds while we wait for our cabin. Sometimes the cabins are ready when we board. I like it that we don't have to pay for lunch off the ship. I'm not a super cheap skate but if I can save a buck it's always good. If you time it just right you won't wait for the boarding counter to open and the baggage valets are finished debarkation of the last cruise and are waiting and ready to take your bags. You can walk right on the ship. I've had better luck with timing on the winter cruises out of Galveston.

I've taken 2 winter cruises out of Galveston. One time it was in the 30's when we left port and the further south we sailed it got warmer. It seemed like I could not get warm the first night and I'm a very warm blooded person. I am post menopausal after all. :rolleyes: It was nice and warm when we reached Mexico. :)

We are taking the holiday cruise om the Navigator this year. We haven't been to Belize or Honduras and my guys received scuba certifications this year. I love Mexico in the winter.

I hope this helped and have a great cruise. ;)

Archived