iPads for purchase onboard?

neverenoughtime

We were on the Silhouette in June (Rome to Venice) and our friends bought an iPad mini with their OBC. They were flying off the shelves and the iLounge was sold out of them 3/4 of the way through the cruise! The products on hand will vary by ship. They told me that they could not restock until they returned to Rome as that was where their "secure storage" was, and where new shipments were recieved.

there is no real reason to purchase one onboard other than possible sale/VAT tax depending on where you live, just be aware you don't get free wifi so make sure you don't try to use the icloud or any other type of syncing service if you have another I device.

I had contacted Miami head office why they did not offer advance pricing and a pre-purchase option.

There are so many things one can pre-pay and I thought this would be another money-maker for them especially when dealing with pax from the 13% tax zone.

there is no real reason to purchase one onboard other than possible sale/VAT tax depending on where you live, just be aware you don't get free wifi so make sure you don't try to use the icloud or any other type of syncing service if you have another I device.

The best reason to buy it on board is when you have OBC:D My friends got a block of free minutes when they bought their mini - 30-45 I think! They also saved 13% in tax.

I bought an ipad on the Infinity last year...I had asked the gentleman in the shop if the prices were the same "at home"...he said yes....:mad:

I paid $30 more then in the US...granted I saved the tax which for me is almost a wash but if I had shopped around at home I could have purchased one at a local box store and received a store gift card that would cover the price of the case...so NOT a deal in board..:eek:.

Also no free minutes so I had the thing for a week and only took a couple of pics...at the price of the minutes I wasn't going to use them to set it up...:mad: Did not want to take it ashore in search of a internet cafe.

Yes, some items are a deal but imo these are not...

We bought a Ipod Nano with non refundable credit at the end of a cruise. I would caution purchasers to keep the receipt that Celebrity gives. Ours developed problems charging, and DW took it to an apple store. They checked the serial number, and said it was out of warranty as Celebrity had received it from apple over a year earlier. She got real firm with the 19 year old and told him that Celebrity was an authorized dealer, she had a dated receipt and would like to speak to a manger. It was straightened out, but be sure to keep the audit trail.

We just got off the Equinox and there were no Apple products for use or for sale on this ship. We were told two ships did not currently have contracts with Apple. Equinox was one and I am sorry I don't remember the other. Of course, I guess this could change at any time.

We bought our iPad mini earlier this month while on the Constellation, with our onboard credit, and we did get 30 minutes of internet time with our purchase. I've been on a couple of ships now that offered these for purchase, this was the first time I had a credit large enough to buy though.

We just got off the Equinox and there were no Apple products for use or for sale on this ship. We were told two ships did not currently have contracts with Apple. Equinox was one and I am sorry I don't remember the other. Of course, I guess this could change at any time.

Right! Equinox does not have the iLounge. So to the OP you will not be able to but apple products.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Deck 6 by aft elevators! Why would the Equinox be the only ship without an iLounge?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

AFAIK Equinox has an ILounge with computers to use, to set up wifi, etc. but it does not have the store, the authorized Apple Reseller facility. That seems consistent with what has been reported in posts above.

Yes, the computer room is on deck 6, but on Equinox it is referred to as Celebrity Online. There are many pc's there, but no Apple products. I suppose "iLounge" is a name associated with Apple products and as stated earlier, Equinox does not have a contract with Apple.

the i products usually sell for full US price in my experience no tax but that is the discount.

I paid 529 for an ipad with retina display on the Infinity...at "the box stores" in the US they sell for 499.99 (plus your states tax)...one of the box stores has promtions that give the purchaser a gift card of $25-50......

If you have OBC then it would be worth the purchase...I had did not...

After realizing the price difference I called Celebrity.. The shops on board are NOT RUN BY CELEBRITY but are leased space....APPLE sets the pricing....:eek:

Archived