Flying into JFK domestic flying out international

Pearl64

We are flying out of Atlanta on Delta on a Thursday November 7 with a connection at JFK to Barcelona. We will each have a carryon but I am assuming that our checked bags will be sent clear through from Atlanta. We have economy comfort seats and are SkyMiles members if that makes any difference. Our flight leaves Atlanta 12:30 ish. Delta keeps adjusting the times by a few minutes earlier. Our flight gets into JFK around 3. Our flight leaves JFK at 7:30. What is the procedure for going from domestic to international at JFK? Will we need to go through security again? Will we need to change terminals, and if so, how is that accomplished? Will a map of the airport be helpful and where might I find it?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to know what we need to do beforehand and we don't need to look foolish trying to figure this all out. I am hoping that 4.5 hours is enough time to accomplish this and to use the restroom.

Thank you for all responses. You have been very helpful in the past.

Pearl

I am assuming that our checked bags will be sent clear through from Atlanta.
You will see your bags again at the baggage claim at BCN. No luggage handling at JFK on your outbound. Not the same for your return if the same routing.
We have economy comfort seats and are SkyMiles members if that makes any difference.
Skymiles only matter if you have Medallion status. EC gets you priority boarding (Zone 1), but that's after business class (PREM) and Medallions (SKY).
What is the procedure for going from domestic to international at JFK? Will we need to go through security again?
You just go from one gate to the other. No security screening.
Will we need to change terminals, and if so, how is that accomplished? Will a map of the airport be helpful and where might I find it?
DL now operates from T2 and T4. I would guess your ATL-JFK flight will arrive at T4, and your BCN flight will definitely leave from T4. Terminal maps are available at the DL website and show the airside T2-T4 connection, if that turns out to be necessary.
Sorry for all the questions but I want to know what we need to do beforehand and we don't need to look foolish trying to figure this all out. I am hoping that 4.5 hours is enough time to accomplish this and to use the restroom.
Well informed is well prepared. No problem. And yes, your 4.5 hours should be fine, even if your ATL-JFK flight is delayed 2 hours or so.

There is a banner on the Delta website call Flight Status. Just click on it and enter your flight number(s) for a couple of days and you will be able to determine the terminal and possible gates. Then use the JFK website to procure the terminal maps.

When you board your flight there will be a Delta magazine with the Delta terminal maps in the back.

Archived