Navigator pool temp in Europe in oct?

mcgrate

Depends where/when you go - Barcelona - very cool after mid month- Rome - warm days, not hot, but pool was busy.

If you are in a ship with a solarium, it would be the same all the time - warm.

You did not give enough info to give you the answer you are looking for. Depends on the ship/the itineray/location - med it too open - and dates, Oct is a variable month and changeable.

I have travelled med several times from May to end of Oct - had good weather and bad weather - rainy days.

We got back from the Navigator eastern med cruise last week. The temps were very hot in the 30's, so the cool pool water was very refreshing. The hot tubs were nice and toasty though!! Our cruise was 8 to 15 Sept so Oct may be a bit cooler but not much.

A few comments:

1. For our American readers, LRMD is referring to degrees Celsius. On that scale, the "30s" [30-40] equals 86 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit. So it is hot.

2. As nanwel said, that time of year the temperatures can vary depending on what part of Europe you are referring to. For that reason, I suggest you go to a website that has historical weather data [Weather Underground is my "go to" site for this purpose] and look up the temperatures for the ports you will be visiting for the same dates over the las several years. Weather underground also gives you averages for every date -- makes it real easy. Should give you an idea of what to expect. For sea days, take the data for the ports on either end and estimate the sea leg will be similar.

3. For what its worth, I found a picture from our Nov 2007 Eastern Med trip aboard Splendour. On Nov 11, 2007, at or near Dubrovnik I took a picture of the pool deck and there were folks in the pool. No sun-bathers but a handful in the pool. Navigator's itineraries for this October appear to be further south so I would expect some warm days.

No guarantees about weather but I wouldn't worry about your goolies and have a great time.

The OP was specifically asking about pool temperature, and to be honest I have to warn you it will likely be pretty cold! We went on navigator in June to Rome and Eastern Med - the temperature was mostly in the 30s, but the pool was pretty cold - we were never totally sure but I think they refilled it from the sea about every 2-3 days. So by the end of that time it was getting pleasantly warm, and then when they refilled it, it was freezing again. I think the temperatures in October are more likely to be in the 20s than the 30s, unless you get a heat wave, and so it isn't going to be heating the pool up as much.

Of course when it was very hot, the cool pool temp was nice. But everybody was getting in very gingerly, shivering etc. some people wouldn't go in at all. It might be though that they don't refill the pool as much when it's more out of season? It was the refilling that was the problem - the pool would be quite nice by the third day.

(This is the solarium pool that I am referring to - never went near the other one. But I'd imagine it was similar. The hot tubs are very hot - in fact they were too hot for me in June - in October would probably be fine).

The OP was specifically asking about pool temperature, and to be honest I have to warn you it will likely be pretty cold! We went on navigator in June to Rome and Eastern Med - the temperature was mostly in the 30s, but the pool was pretty cold - we were never totally sure but I think they refilled it from the sea about every 2-3 days. So by the end of that time it was getting pleasantly warm, and then when they refilled it, it was freezing again. I think the temperatures in October are more likely to be in the 20s than the 30s, unless you get a heat wave, and so it isn't going to be heating the pool up as much.

quote]

So the pool water will be salt water?

I think I am on the same cruise as the OP, so specially interested in Navigator pools.

I think I am on the same cruise as the OP, so specially interested in Navigator pools.

You'll know us - we'll be the ones shivering but braving the pool :)

Thanks everyone for the responses. We'll have our 3 year old daughter with us and she loves swimming pools so I expect we'll be getting in no matter what :) Good to know whats ahead of us! If we spot a particularly cool day, maybe we'll give it a miss and come back a day or two later.

You'll know us - we'll be the ones shivering but braving the pool :)

Thanks everyone for the responses. We'll have our 3 year old daughter with us and she loves swimming pools so I expect we'll be getting in no matter what :) Good to know whats ahead of us! If we spot a particularly cool day, maybe we'll give it a miss and come back a day or two later.

I'm sure well see each other in the pool! At least for Finns (and most probably for the Irish, too) anything over 15C is hot in October. :D

We went below 0 this morning - almost had to scrape my car windows from ice for the first time this Autumn. The only thing preventing was my DH who did it for me. Lucky me!

Thanks also for the salt water information. I had no idea about that and would have been very surprised. Now I know what to expect when entering the pool. Cold and salty it is - but it is a vacation!

Miryam

Archived