Differences Golden Princess to Celebrity Infinity

grayjay

I have posted the same question on the Celebrity Cruises thread. I'm hoping for lots of answers from people who have cruised on the GOLDEN!

My specific question is the following: We have left it rather late to book the second leg of our trip to South America "Round the Horn from Bueos Aires to Valparaiso". We're already booked on the "Infinity" repo cruise to Miami. As "Celebrity Infinity" right now only can offer inside cabins and OV's at outrageous prices and their waitlists for balcony cabins seem to be full we are considering to book Princess Cruises for the first time. It's the "Golden Princess" on almost an identical itinerary.

We have cruised Celebrity quite a lot now but never Princess - that's the reason why I'd like to ask those who have sailed both ships:

What were your experiences? Cabins ( we'd have cat. BD on Baja or Caribe deck if we decide to book), condition of ship, food, smoking policy , and everything else you'd like to mention. I'm still hesitating to book because we feel comfortable on Celebrity ships and the member reviews of "Golden Princess" seem to differ very much. On the other hand I don't know if cabins on "Infinity" will open up after final payment day - and right now their prices for an inside cabin is the same as a balcony cabin on Princess. And We are very much interested in trying out a Princess ship!!

Any piece of advice for me?? Thank you!!

Hi-

My wife and I have sailed both lines and are Elite with Celebrity and Plantinum with Princess. Our last cruise was on the Summit in June and the next one is the Crown Princess in December. We sre both in our early 50's.

We choose based on price and itinerary usually switching between the two lines. What I like better about Princess vs Celebrity is better entertainment, the variety of pools and hot tubs, larger balconies (especially love the larger Caribe deck balconies) and a very friendly, upbeat crew. Service, food quality and stateroom comfort are very similar, in my opinion.

While I enjoyed the Summit, I would choose the Golden over her ( or the Infinity) - but would not over the Solistice class ships.

If you do go on the Golden, definitely get a Caribe deck balcony, if you enjoy using the balcony. They are larger and 1/2 covered, 1/2 open.

Enjoy,

Chris

We've sailed on the Crown Princess, Diamond Princess and Celebrity Equinox. The comparison's could/will go on and on but we chose the Golden Princess for our South America cruise starting with a pre-cruise to Machu Pichuu then cruise from Santiago, Chile to Rio. While I really liked Celebrity Equinox ship design, entertainment venues (the real grass was a nice touch) and food/buffet, I like the general atmosphere on Princess with alot of similar travelers (travelers age 50+) and the last trip on Diamond Princess last October had really great entertainment and great food every night. Smoking policies are very similar now (we actually appreciated Celebrity a little more because they promptly responded to talking to the cigar smokers in the cabins around us promptly..like within 10 minutes of us calling it in).

We feel we got the better total price with Princess including their EZ Air which was cheaper than any other carrier/travel website quotes.

I've sailed both ships and I'd choose the better price/itin for what you want. While Celebrity is a little better in the DR, I really love the buffet/pizza/burger hours on Princess. Buffet is always open for something.

They are both nice ships. You really can't lose.

I've sailed both ships and I'd choose the better price/itin for what you want. While Celebrity is a little better in the DR, I really love the buffet/pizza/burger hours on Princess. Buffet is always open for something.

They are both nice ships. You really can't lose.

The Princess Buffet "Horizon Court" closes at midnight. The good news is the "International Cafe" is open 24/7 with a good selection of snacks.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/piazza/

I just took my first cruise on the Golden in August. My parents are loyal Princess cruisers and insisted (and who was I to say no??) lol My 16 year old daughter and I *loved* the Golden. Fantastic service, beautiful ship, and we thought the food was really good. Also I have a food allergy and they were super accommodating to me and other passengers. And I'd get a balcony over an inside room every time - go for it!

Never sailed on Celebrity but we have 42 days on the Golden. Definitely book the Caribe deck balcony. We did the SA itinerary on her sister, the Star, in 2010 in a Caribe deck balcony. No smoking in cabins or on balconies on Princess. Cigar and pipe smokers are limited to the cigar bar. Smoking is allowed outside in several designated areas by doors on the Promenade deck, usually on the starboard side and at a few tables on the port side by the Tradewinds Bar. There might be smoking allowed aft on the port side of the Horizon Terrace.

Archived