Can you negotiate an upsell?

Kymnotkim

I tried to negotiate some for my upsell, but couldn't get near what they were asking. They wanted $1750 to go from grand suite extended to owners suite on Fascination. I countered offering $500 and saying that was as much as I could go. He didn't even email me back to deny my offer. :)

That's interesting. Is it a 3 nt? They offered us the owners suite on the sensation for 1600. This was for 3 from an inside guarantee that was 199pp. 3 nt Bahamas.

Yes you can, it is much like a plane, no two people pay the same price for a seat. It applies to Carnival as well, private deals for everything from free specialty restaurant meals, OBC, cabins are all negotiable, just like any other venues.

I doubt you will read about it here, the people who have the influence to make these deals are not going to publish the how and why on a public message board.

The fact that you will possible post your good fortune on the internet, guarantees that they will not deal with you, and you will pay the "masses" price.

Most deals are made privately and the possibility that you might brag about it in any forum makes it unavailable to you. :rolleyes:

I have serious doubts that Carnival knows which passenger Katoo is.

Well, that's exactly what they were looking to get from you: the difference between what you paid for your room ($0) and what the balcony would cost.

Dude! The first rule about the Upgrade Club is that there is NO Upgrade Club!

:D

Lol good point.

Yes you can, it is much like a plane, no two people pay the same price for a seat. It applies to Carnival as well, private deals for everything from free specialty restaurant meals, OBC, cabins are all negotiable, just like any other venues.

I doubt you will read about it here, the people who have the influence to make these deals are not going to publish the how and why on a public message board.

The fact that you will possible post your good fortune on the internet, guarantees that they will not deal with you, and you will pay the "masses" price.

Most deals are made privately and the possibility that you might brag about it in any forum makes it unavailable to you. :rolleyes:

They are not doing you a favor, it's a business decision for them. Upgrade, up-sells are apart of the hospitality industry, a way to move inventory and sometimes build loyalty. Because people don't know doesn't mean it's an industry secret. On Princess I was offered a mini-suite for my aft balcony because they needed it. I said no, I wanted the aft!

I can see them now looking for Blk Amish to revoke any offer, really:D It's simply, the offers are made for the same reason rates are lowered, to move the inventory. Some may not know about rate reduction, no secret there either. Now folks keep it quite about those rate reduction, wouldn't want those in-charge to find out we are discussing it and and take them back. For crying out loud!

Yield management has become sophisticated to the point that when it comes to the upgrade call, the cruise line knows exactly what to charge and does not entertain :eek:offers:eek: from their guests...they know that someone will take their offer...the odds are stacked in the cruise line favor

When a large group cancels within the normal 90 day contract final payment due date, the cruiseline will implement a very pro active plan to fill empty cabins designed to maximize profit, which depending on the number (and type)of cabins to fill, may result in very good deals, designed to leave only interior cabins left, which in turn they will deeply discount to large travel agency whole sellers or the internet(i.e., your local amazom.com etc)

Your odds on getting on the preferred upsell call list increases based upon your status level in the line's loyalty program or past history of your onboard spending pattern..a random "great deal" is highly unlikely

That's interesting. Is it a 3 nt? They offered us the owners suite on the sensation for 1600. This was for 3 from an inside guarantee that was 199pp. 3 nt Bahamas.

It was for a 5 night and we would have been going from grande suite extended balcony to owners suite. My whole cruise for 5 people is only 2200, so adding 1750 to that would have almost doubled our cost. No thanks.

38 cruises with Carnival, and many upgrades and perks negotiated, so personal experience and with months of cruises and travel all over the world, I know how things work, and frequently benefit from it.

But you just contradicted your earlier comments about posting (bragging) about your results and posting on the Internet.

"Private Deals"? Deals that someone wouldn't post here?

Me thinks you're misinformed. Upsell calls have been made to me. Some I've turned down, some I've taken. Some, I turned down, and decided to take a few hours later, only to find the deal was given to someone else by the time I got back to them.

I've tried to negotiate them. They just say the "deal is the deal". If I don't take it, they move on to the next one on the list to call.

I've been cruising for a long while, on many different lines.

Anyone here who would strike a "private deal" would post it within seconds of making it. Posting it here would assure I wouldn't get it? They have no idea who we are based on our user names.

Gotta claim bovine secretion on that.

"Private Deals"? Deals that someone wouldn't post here?

Me thinks you're misinformed. Upsell calls have been made to me. Some I've turned down, some I've taken. Some, I turned down, and decided to take a few hours later, only to find the deal was given to someone else by the time I got back to them.

I've tried to negotiate them. They just say the "deal is the deal". If I don't take it, they move on to the next one on the list to call.

I've been cruising for a long while, on many different lines.

Anyone here who would strike a "private deal" would post it within seconds of making it. Posting it here would assure I wouldn't get it? They have no idea who we are based on our user names.

Gotta claim bovine secretion on that.

I have been upgraded once. Interior to a lido balcony. It was a extra $500. But, I wanted a balcony, so we took it. They know what they are doing. Not really great deals to upgrade. They can get rid of a interior faster and cheaper. They really don't do you a favor... It's all about making as much as they can and fill the ship at the last minute.

I know it's not Carnival, but several years ago we were booked on the NCL Sun in a balcony cabin. They called and offered a regular suite for about $250 more per person. I said know, what about an even larger suite. They offered a penthouse suite for $1000 more per person. I said no, but I'll take the Penthouse for the $250 per person rate and they said YES! I was shocked they took it but we sure enjoyed the large suite, the huge balcony and our private butlers for the week!!

Still hoping to find another deal like that. I actually think the NCL rep on the phone made a mistake!

Two years ago, DH and I were booked into a Jr. Suite, Verandah Deck, on the Imagination. I received a call to upgrade to the Owner's Suite for $1,200. We jumped at it - are you kidding me? Why not? 900 square foot cabin, 100 square foot balcony - service like you wouldn't believe. It was Christmas and we had my brother and sister-in-law in a porthole cabin. We got extra key cards for them so they could enjoy the suite with us. Had a great time and am so glad we did the upgrade. Once in a lifetime offer we felt.

I have been upgraded once. Interior to a lido balcony. It was a extra $500. But, I wanted a balcony, so we took it. They know what they are doing. Not really great deals to upgrade. They can get rid of a interior faster and cheaper. They really don't do you a favor... It's all about making as much as they can and fill the ship at the last minute.

I concur...they do know what they're doing. As far as negotiating a "secret deal", I don't buy that.

I've been offered upgrades...sometimes good ones, sometimes not so good.

Upon me asking..."I've sailed with your cruise line multiple times. How about throwing in something extra?" They firmly, but nicely replied..."would love to but if you don't accept it, I'll find someone who will."

Kind of sums it up.

We were offered (and accepted) an upgrade from a Balcony to the Owners Suite on the Imagination for a flat $750 (4 in a room) for a 3 night cruise. Throughly enjoyed that one!

I concur...they do know what they're doing. As far as negotiating a "secret deal", I don't buy that.

I've been offered upgrades...sometimes good ones, sometimes not so good.

Upon me asking..."I've sailed with your cruise line multiple times. How about throwing in something extra?" They firmly, but nicely replied..."would love to but if you don't accept it, I'll find someone who will."

Kind of sums it up.

How is paying an extra $500 an upgrade? An upgrade is: an occurrence in which one thing is replaced by something better, newer, more valuable, etc.

How is paying an extra $500 an upgrade? An upgrade is: an occurrence in which one thing is replaced by something better, newer, more valuable, etc.

If you buy a car and they offer to upgrade your stereo to a "premium sound" with extra speakers for $500 would you consider that an upgrade? Would you consider marble kitchen counters an upgrade for an additional price on a new home? Would you consider a sports car upgrade from an economy at Hertz for an adiitional price an upgrade? I must be missing your point. No one said anything about a free upgrade. An upgrade for many is whatever they are willing to pay for something they see as an improvement to what they currently have.

If you buy a car and they offer to upgrade your stereo to a "premium sound" with extra speakers for $500 would you consider that an upgrade? Would you consider marble kitchen counters an upgrade for an additional price on a new home? Would you consider a sports car upgrade from an economy at Hertz for an adiitional price an upgrade? I must be missing your point. No one said anything about a free upgrade. An upgrade for many is whatever they are willing to pay for something they see as an improvement to what they currently have.

Probably a matter of perspective. Yes, upgrade can have two very different meanings. As a platinum on United I get "upgraded" to first class. This a NOUN. I don't pay the difference in fare. However, the last car I bought I "upgraded" to a package with navigation. This is a verb.

Probably a matter of perspective. Yes, upgrade can have two very different meanings. As a platinum on United I get "upgraded" to first class. This a NOUN. I don't pay the difference in fare. However, the last car I bought I "upgraded" to a package with navigation. This is a verb.

That doesn't make any sense... I can buy an upgrade or be given an upgrade - or I can be upgraded for free or be upgraded for a fee. Either way it is an upgrade. Merriam Webster doesn't distinguish between fee or free.

up·grade noun

an occurrence in which one thing is replaced by something better, newer, more valuable, etc.

up·grade verb:

to make (something) better by including the most recent information or improvements

: to choose to have or use something more modern, useful, etc.

: to get something (such as a seat on an airplane or a room in a hotel) that is better than what you had originally

That doesn't make any sense... I can buy an upgrade or be given an upgrade - or I can be upgraded for free or be upgraded for a fee. Either way it is an upgrade. Merriam Webster doesn't distinguish between fee or free.

up·grade noun

an occurrence in which one thing is replaced by something better, newer, more valuable, etc.

up·grade verb:

to make (something) better by including the most recent information or improvements

: to choose to have or use something more modern, useful, etc.

: to get something (such as a seat on an airplane or a room in a hotel) that is better than what you had originally

The inference here is that a complimentary upgrade is by it's very nature a noun. To upgrade by paying a few is an action verb.

We were offered (and accepted) an upgrade from a Balcony to the Owners Suite on the Imagination for a flat $750 (4 in a room) for a 3 night cruise. Throughly enjoyed that one!

They offered us a Sensation GS with Extended balcony upgrade to Owners Suite 3 days for $1200 for 4 -- thought that was steep -- so did not take it.

Archived