Upgrade offers - what info is provides?

Kathy with a K

Hi,

When Oceania offers an upgrade / upsell offer, what information do they provide, category only or cabin as well. I am very prone to seasickness and would only consider a mid-ship cabin. I'm trying to identify the parameters to provide my TA relative to accepting an upgrade. If they provide a cabin number, or if she can accept conditionally, specifying a range of acceptable cabins, that would work. I realize there may be no offers anyway, but want to be prepared, and want my TA to be prepared. Sorry to be so picky, but seasickness is not a lot of fun.

Thanks all,

Kathy

Hi,

When Oceania offers an upgrade / upsell offer, what information do they provide, category only or cabin as well. I am very prone to seasickness and would only consider a mid-ship cabin. I'm trying to identify the parameters to provide my TA relative to accepting an upgrade. If they provide a cabin number, or if she can accept conditionally, specifying a range of acceptable cabins, that would work. I realize there may be no offers anyway, but want to be prepared, and want my TA to be prepared. Sorry to be so picky, but seasickness is not a lot of fun.

Thanks all,

Kathy

You're doing a very intelligent thing, Kathy, I only wish that all prospective passengers were as astute as you are.

The Up-Sell offers are very time sensitive, so if YOUR Agent does not accept a particular cabin on your behalf, then the offer is made to the next person down the line.

It is a VERY good idea to give your Agent specific parameters, but always with the understanding that with fewer cabins "in your zone", you do run the risk of putting yourself out of the running completely. Mid-ship cabins are very popular for a variety of reasons, not just motion sensitivity.

My travel agent has permission to accept up to a dollar limit and category range but she's also emailed me the offer. I was able to speak to them directly and select the cabin.

Either you are exceptionally lucky, or the cruise in question just happened to be selling very poorly.

It is VERY rare for an up-sell to be open for that kind of time.

I've known of people who lost out within five minutes. :eek:

Hi,

Thanks all,

Kathy

I would think that anyone with that kind of sensitivity would book the cabin that works for them and not worry about up sells. We too are very selective about our cabin and have always booked the cabin we wanted and not the cabin we wished for as an upgrade or upsell.

Either you are exceptionally lucky, or the cruise in question just happened to be selling very poorly.

It is VERY rare for an up-sell to be open for that kind of time.

I've known of people who lost out within five minutes. :eek:

Oh, it's definitely selling very poorly. I've had three extend offers on the same cruise as Kathy, the latest just a few days ago.

Oh, it's definitely selling very poorly. I've had three extend offers on the same cruise as Kathy, the latest just a few days ago.

Wendy,

As you are in the PH, I assume the upsell offers were for Oceania suite (or higher)?

If so, what was the offer?

My 1st offer was concierge to PH and I accepted for one of my back to back. The 2nd and 3rd have been to Oceania Suite. One was at $1500 pp and one at $2000 pp; The itinerary 12 days port intensive and 1000 sq. fee is way more that I want to go to waste. If it were the crossing, I'd have considered it or it my back to back could be in the same cabin.

My 1st offer was concierge to PH and I accepted for one of my back to back. The 2nd and 3rd have been to Oceania Suite. One was at $1500 pp and one at $2000 pp; The itinerary 12 days port intensive and 1000 sq. fee is way more that I want to go to waste. If it were the crossing, I'd have considered it or it my back to back could be in the same cabin.

While some may disagree, there can be too much of a good thing. I could not imagine utilizing anything larger than a penthouse. And on a port intensive cruise you would only use it as a crash pad between ports where you would get no more use than the cheapest inside, :rolleyes:

All you need on that schedule is a bed a bathroom and closet if you get right down to it....Cant fathom having a butler serving me a multicourse extravaganza after a full day of running around when all you want is a cold drink and a hot shower and to put your feet up.

While some may disagree, there can be too much of a good thing. I could not imagine utilizing anything larger than a penthouse. And on a port intensive cruise you would only use it as a crash pad between ports where you would get no more use than the cheapest inside, :rolleyes:

All you need on that schedule is a bed a bathroom and closet if you get right down to it....Cant fathom having a butler serving me a multicourse extravaganza after a full day of running around when all you want is a cold drink and a hot shower and to put your feet up.

And that's just why they make so many flavored of ice cream...

There must be a market for the large suites or we would not have to hook them the first moment of the first day of any booking period. For some of us the ship is the destination. :D

Wendy,

As you are in the PH, I assume the upsell offers were for Oceania suite (or higher)?

If so, what was the offer?

No, my offer was to extend my cruise, to the one Kathy is starting on, from Istanbul. I'm in a PH3 on the TA, the next cruise, and there are no named suites available there, so no upsell. I would certainly have considered that kind of upsell on the Crossing.

No, my offer was to extend my cruise, to the one Kathy is starting on, from Istanbul. I'm in a PH3 on the TA, the next cruise, and there are no named suites available there, so no upsell. I would certainly have considered that kind of upsell on the Crossing.

Thanks - see onboard!

Paul

I would take an Oceania Suite for the crossing as well but not for the port intensive. I have full day tours in all the ports and there is only one sea day. But as far as en suite dining, I never go to breakfast on a tour day. I love having my morning breakfast in my cabin with my coffee and it's not the same in a regular cabin; I originally booked a Concierge cabin but the penthouse upgrade worked well for me. We are in an aft suite and on most sail outs from the port the view of the wake and scenery will be a joy for me.

We're leaving for a cruise on October 22 and just received an offer. We booked a guarantee for an inside stateroom.

The first offer was $500 a piece. They said Balcony B (no specifics, though...so it could be any cabin on B1, B2, B3, or B4). We asked our travel agent to call back for specifics and to see if we can get a better deal (since it's our anniversary cruise, first time, etc we were hoping to get a little knocked off the price). Unfortunately the offer came on a Friday and the Oceania desk that handles upgrades was closed all weekend. So Monday morning our TA called, and they wouldn't negotiate for the room, but the Oceania agent did let him know IF the rooms are still available they might make a better deal in a day or so. We decided to wait, knowing that if the offer passes we'd be happy enough in an inside stateroom.

The next day they sent a new deal, a B1 balcony for $250. We jumped on the deal that time. We almost thought about waiting to see if we were upgraded for free once onboard (since the staterooms are sold out), but we were really happy with the price so we took the deal. We got a mid-ship room on deck 8 and we're very pleased. We weren't able to pick the specific room, though.

Personally, I think the key to upgrades is to be flexible, be happy if you get it and OK if you don't. If you want the control to select want a specific room, pick and pay.

Archived