Halloween on a Princess Ship

Jodieg

Have been on several Princess cruises over Halloween & will be on one again this year. We never wear costumes but some passengers do. The crew members wear costumes, especially in the dining room and they can be really funny. On our last Halloween cruise almost all of the wait staff had costumes and the maître d' was one of the funniest.

i was on a Halloween cruise last year and hardly saw anyone other than crew dressed up. just a few and only in the evening. i didn't because i couldn't spare any room in my luggage to fit in a costume that would only be worn a few hours.

i cruise again this halloween and again i won't bring a costume because i need the room in my suitcase for shoes! :)

We weren't supposed to be on a Halloween cruise last year, but we got 'stuck' on the CB for two extra days during the 'Hurricane Sandy Cruise'. Instead of going from NYC to Bermuda for a four day cruise, we were quickly routed from NYC Harbor to Boston and stayed moored for 3 extra days in Boston until NYC Harbor was cleared for return.

As luck(?) would have it, we were still docked in Boston on Halloween, so we took the train up to Salem for a crazy day. Everyone, of course, was dressed to the nines in Salem, but when we returned (in costume) to the CB, most crew were also in costume. A lot of passengers also made the best of it and made impromptu outfits, as well.

Turned into a great day. The cruise lasted several extra days and Princess was extremely responsive to passenger needs.

Paul

Hello from Australia! We will cruising on Halloween, what should we expect? Halloween is not big in Australia, should we be taking fancy dress?

We are cruising in Australia on Halloween and have heard you haven't embraced this fun excuse to party yet! We are bringing some items that won't take up luggage space to turn regular clothes into a costume.

For example, a pirate hat or scull bandana and a red scarf added to a white top and black pants or skirt and you have a pirate costume. Use the internet to look at costumes and you can see what simple accessories can do to modify your existing wardrobe.

Have fun, I hope you will enjoy yourself.

We have been on a cruise during Halloween. Everyone seemed to be in the spirit. At dinner, our group did a pirate theme. Although we stuck to just wearing a hat or mask instead of dressing the whole part head to toe. It is fun and the crew gets into it too!

You would be better off with a costume, if you choose, rather than a fancy dress. A fancy dress would be best worn on formal night.

In the UK and Australia, "fancy dress" means costume, not formal.

To OP, Americans love Halloween, but if you don't have room in your luggage don't sweat it.

I'm curious if how into Halloween the ship gets depends on where it is sailing? We've been on for Halloween on a cruise to Mexico (it's a BIG holiday in Mexico), and in the Caribbean. The party on the ship in the Caribbean was bigger but both celebrated and it was fun. This year we will be in the Mediterranean where it is not necessarily a local holiday so I'm curious. Anyone been in Europe on a ship on Halloween? Do they do it up with Pumpkins, costumes and parties like the do in North America?

I'm curious if how into Halloween the ship gets depends on where it is sailing? We've been on for Halloween on a cruise to Mexico (it's a BIG holiday in Mexico), and in the Caribbean. The party on the ship in the Caribbean was bigger but both celebrated and it was fun. This year we will be in the Mediterranean where it is not necessarily a local holiday so I'm curious. Anyone been in Europe on a ship on Halloween? Do they do it up with Pumpkins, costumes and parties like the do in North America?

we haven't yet, (later this month!) but I did wonder if the ship's location would have a bearing on the amount of decoration on board as, like you say, Halloween isn't so big in Europe.

we haven't yet, (later this month!) but I did wonder if the ship's location would have a bearing on the amount of decoration on board as, like you say, Halloween isn't so big in Europe.

I guess we will find out! I plan to take a costume, DH rolled his eyes at me but will probably play along. From my experience and friends, the costume contest winner is always a hairy man/men in bad drag no matter how incredible the others are. Then they say he won because it's the scariest thing in the 7 seas. So I pointed out to DH that knowing this is his chance for a win but he isn't buying! Too bad but anyway I hope there is a party or something. Our itinerary is very port intensive and Halloween is a very long port day, and All Saints day has an early stop the next morning. So we will see!

I was on a Halloween cruise in the Med. in 2007. I don't recall seeing any costumes on adults (passengers or crew) but I think there were some "food art" decorations (carved watermelons and the like) and cruise staff leading a couple of children in costumes around to the ship bars to go trick or treating. So I think it is definitely region specific. Very few Halloween activities on that voyage. We were in Santorini that day and I did see a local bar had a fake spiderweb in their window.

Archived