Age demographic on princess?

ripjerry95

I'm on the Crown as we speak - my 77 year old mother said it's like an old folks home as there are few "younger" people. ! At this time of year in Europe the average age is "elderly", with many frail, but hats off to them as most are using walking sticks rather than taking to electric buggies to get around and they are having a great time in their own way.

During our latest RCI cruise to Canada we had majority of older folks.

Every day in the dailies there were congratulations on 93th, 95th birthdays, on 55th-60th anniversaries...

I was actually amazed at the level of energy of many of them. They danced, used rock climbing wall etc. My husband (we are in our early forties) said that I do not understand simple thing. For us it is a vacation ... we NEED to relax, because after that it's back to work. Unlike us they will be relaxing at home, and cruise is the way to be active. :)

What is it that would make you question whether you would be "okay?" In what way would the age demographic (whatever it is) impact your okay-ness? You have said you socialize with all ages, and that you wouldn't mind cruising with few children...

What do you imagine "catering to an older demographic," if Princess does indeed do this, would mean? What demographic does your ideal cruise line cater to, and how does it cater to that demographic?

Perhaps asking specific questions about ship "culture" or "atmosphere," such as types of activities and entertainment, prevalence of walkers or motorized scooters, availability of late evening activities, etc. might reveal more useful information than simple age demographic would...

Yikes! :eek:

You will fit in just fine on your Princess Cruise! Have a great time!

What is it that would make you question whether you would be "okay?" In what way would the age demographic (whatever it is) impact your okay-ness? You have said you socialize with all ages, and that you wouldn't mind cruising with few children...

What do you imagine "catering to an older demographic," if Princess does indeed do this, would mean? What demographic does your ideal cruise line cater to, and how does it cater to that demographic?

Perhaps asking specific questions about ship "culture" or "atmosphere," such as types of activities and entertainment, prevalence of walkers or motorized scooters, availability of late evening activities, etc. might reveal more useful information than simple age demographic would...

Less activities and possible boredom. Old, over the hill (myself included) people ask about how many kids might be on board all the time, so this could be vise-versa. Right now I am not ready to cruise HAL simply because of the much older crowd. Not everyone wants to vacation around kids and babies, even their own, not everyone wants to vacation with older folks, choice.

OP- overall the crowd is older compared to the other mainstream lines. Many activities are centered around sitting and watching. It can get a bit boring but some call that laid back or relaxing, depends on your age or activity level.

Edited by Blk_Amish

At ages 74 both husband and I love Princess as well as other cruise lines. Age IS just a number Last year we climbed Macchu Piccu with a private group and we also tried the wall climb on a RCI cruise (I only got half way)

We took MIL on her first ever cruise when she was 92 and rarely saw her not surrounded by the younger set who were interested in what she was doing and what she had to say. We did almost lose her in the swimming pool as she had not realised it was deep. (she was 4'11")

Do not expect anyone to 'act their age' enjoy life and what cruising gives you without worrying about other peoples advancing years.;);):)

We are 55 and 57 and having been cruising with Princess since 2008. We have cruised with older and younger people on each cruise. I have never cruised the other lines to compare the number of children, however, we have noticed that there are not a huge number of children on board. I think you will enjoy your cruise on Princess.

We are 37/39 and have been cruising with Princess for the past 11 yrs. Sometimes we are the "children" of the cruise, and others we are not. It depends on the itinerary and the time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We are 55 and 57 and having been cruising with Princess since 2008. We have cruised with older and younger people on each cruise. I have never cruised the other lines to compare the number of children, however, we have noticed that there are not a huge number of children on board. I think you will enjoy your cruise on Princess.

I have no problem with that, which is why I chose Princess for our anniversary. I served my time on Carnival and RCL with the kids, I am due for parole on Princess, so the fewer the better. I am old, grown, and proud!

We are 33 and 34, and going on our first Princess cruise in Feb. My sister (who will be 29 tomorrow ) is going with us and has cruised with Princess before. She loved it. We are also going with my godparents (56 and 76). We think we will fit in just fine.

However: Yesterday we were buying bird food at a local bird specialty store, and we ran into a couple in their 60s who will be sailing on the Royal next month. When we told them we would be sailing on her in Feb. they were surprised we would sail with Princess. They thought we were too young. :eek: That isn't going to deter us from going and having a wonderful cruise with our family.

You will be fine on a 7-10 day cruise. There will be people of all ages. I have cruised Princess with three different 20 something nieces on 7 day cruises and they all loved it and found plenty of people their age. One of my nieces even cruised Royal Caribbean after our Princess cruise and said never again!

You will be fine on a 7-10 day cruise. There will be people of all ages. I have cruised Princess with three different 20 something nieces on 7 day cruises and they all loved it and found plenty of people their age. One of my nieces even cruised Royal Caribbean after our Princess cruise and said never again!

When she says never again is it because she is the one paying for the cruise or she is just spoil? Wish I could afford any cruise at 20 something, much less Princess and RCL!

Edited by Blk_Amish

Well, again... it all depends on itinerary and season.

I still agree with Tatka - it depends on time of year. If there are heaps of school kids with extended family (ie three generations) or lots of Uni students - which are just fun.

They will announce on board the "average age".

What ever the age on board - they will tailor the activities to the group - just after a day or so. They will do adventure activities on board for the young (or young at heart). If the activities are not to your liking (eg too much bridge play & ballroom dancing) then ask CD (cruise director) for more disco, pop-star, x-factor, survivor, rock climbing, challenges, zumba etc. They will accommodate. cheers,

Somebody explained the different cruise lines like this:

Carnival = board shorts

Princess = Dockers

Holland America = Depends

My experience has tended to validate the same.

I don't like your last analogy. :(

Again, our 7 day cruise on HAL Zuiderdam during school vacation in August was no different than any Princess, Celebrity, RCI , NCL cruises during the same time.

Now... if you are talking about 2 week cruise on HALs older ships, there will be much older crowd.

Most of my friends who tried Princess in Europe for two week cruises in off season are absolutely sure, that it is a line for older pax. ;) This year we sailed on MSC from FLL and Caribbean Princess docked near us had 700 kids on her. Go figure.

Edited by Tatka

We are 37/39 and have been cruising with Princess for the past 11 yrs. Sometimes we are the "children" of the cruise, and others we are not. It depends on the itinerary and the time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

What about a Hawaii 15-Day in February?

When she says never again is it because she is the one paying for the cruise or she is just spoil? Wish I could afford any cruise at 20 something, much less Princess and RCL!

:(:(:( not a nice comment

:(:(:( not a nice comment

I have a child who would make that comment. He thought a 4 days cruise (I was paying for) was too much work to bother. Europe (Italy, Spain, Denmark, Austria), was the worse month of this life but he has a short life so far. As for Hawaii (Maui and Kauai) I simply went without him for 12 days. Yes, he is still alive after reminding me 'jokingly' I spent HIS college funds on MY vacations. No, not a nice comment if someone is paying for the trip or if you don't have a pot to pee in and a window to throw it through:D!

He does prefer Princess over Carnival!

Edited by Blk_Amish

Well what about the regal maiden in june then ? 7 day and then a 10 day put together. My brother who is 41 and wife 40 is sailing on this and is concerned about the age of the passagers as he has sailed on holland in sept 2 (10 day back to back, and average age was 85....

now we have a wedding in italy next june and will be taking her as well im 40 and hubby is 46, we just came off of the allure in march of this year, and !WOW!!! is all i can say, activites galore an so much action...

now are we going to be bored- you guyes are worrying me and this ship wil lb ea new one

Carnival = board shorts

Princess = Dockers

This thread is good for some laughs. We are in our 30s and actually prefer cruising with a more mature crowd.

While we primarily cruise for itinerary, being around a bunch of rowdy children and/or college age types is not our idea of a relaxing "escape completely" vacation while aboard.

Having yet to sail on Holland America, but having heard and read plenty of others' experiences about sailing the line, I'm not sure that a larger proportion of elderly shipmates may provide for as stimulating of conversation in the MDR (and other venues on the ship) for us. That stated, we may still try HAL in the future, because they have some interesting/unique itineraries compared to some of the other mid-range lines.

We've found the demographics on Princess to suit us just fine so far.

Carnival = board shorts

Princess = Dockers

I love it!!!!

I've sailed Disney, Carnival and Princess. I definitely prefer Princess. Don't really like Carnival. I'm in my 40s and Princess is a perfect fit for me.

Well what about the regal maiden in june then ? 7 day and then a 10 day put together. My brother who is 41 and wife 40 is sailing on this and is concerned about the age of the passagers as he has sailed on holland in sept 2 (10 day back to back, and average age was 85....

now we have a wedding in italy next june and will be taking her as well im 40 and hubby is 46, we just came off of the allure in march of this year, and !WOW!!! is all i can say, activites galore an so much action...

now are we going to be bored- you guyes are worrying me and this ship wil lb ea new one

I had one of my all times best vacation on Princess, this compared to 8 cruises on RCL plus an incredible stay at Couples Resort. However there were times I was feeling, enough with all this rest and relaxation. There were too many demonstartions to look at instead of things to participate in. If you truly love the activities and andventure of Carnival and RCL, you might not fully get the more laid back vibe of Princess. If you are looking for a break from those lines, Princess is a good choice. Princess worked because I was looking to experience something different. Sitting and doing nothing was pretty differnt for this high energy, rockwall climbing, iceskating queen, line dancer, contest judge, limbo and disco mama, ex limbo mama, went too low on the limbooooooooooo:D My next cruise is on Princess, need to relax and chill, because if there is a wall I am climbing it, but the limbo I am out and done!

What I didn't see on Princess was people just having fun except for the Sexy Legs Contest!

Edited by Blk_Amish

Dawn Princess cruise the cruise director joked "that the average age of the passengers was deceased". Well every one was between 75 and 95 years old.

I love the Boardshorts analogy for Carnival (same for P&O Australia). I like Princess - but again it depends on the time of year.