Age demographic on princess?

ripjerry95

Just came back from a New England 7 day cruise...Loved it, but we were the youngest people there....(almost)....and I am 71....I think the average age was 112...:) but we had a lot of fun as we are still athletic and able to do more than most 50 year old kids....:) It is attitude as well as anything else. Pick the itinerary and go have fun....

It is funny how while you are on a cruise with 3000 other people, you will always seem to focus on a select few and will notice them regularly throughout the week. While one person may say they saw only old people on the ship, another might say that they saw a number of children or young adults. Depending on your daily routine, there are so many people that you just never see or focus on.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Although I have cruised on 5 different lines we are now dedicated Princess customers and have been for some time. This is what I have experienced:

1. time of year, location of departure and cruise duration are the three major factors influencing the ships demographics.

- Caribbean 7 day trip during a school break and often other times and the average age will be way down given the ship could have 500 or more children on it. Been there to see it. Won't go back.

- Longer cruise from a more exotic port and the age will be way up. Average age on our 19 day Asia trip was announced at 67. something. We were the teens onboard in our mid 50s. There were exactly 3 children on the ship. Trips like this cost serious money and frankly it is the baby boomer generation or older for the most part with this type of disposable income. Airfare alone to Asia is considerably more than a Carribean cruise.

Princess caters to a more mature clientel than some of the other lines such as Carnival. While you will find lots to do onboard including the usual pool side games and activities they won't be near as energetic and sometimes PG rated as you will find on other lines that target younger audiences.

Our next trip is a total of 31 days and while I expect to see some children there won't be many and I would think the average age will be pushing that of the Asia trip even though the cruse departs closer to home in San Pedro.

To mention I am 77.

The only thing I find old fashioned and should be brought up to date on the Princess ships is the live entertainment in Princess Theatre the tunes are so old fashioned ,seem even before my time.Lets get mod Princess in your theatre productions......:D;);)

To mention I am 77.

The only thing I find old fashioned and should be brought up to date on the Princess ships is the live entertainment in Princess Theatre the tunes are so old fashioned ,seem even before my time.Lets get mod Princess in your theatre productions......:D;);)

I agree!:)

I am 42 going on my 4th princess cruise next month. My sons are 19 and 15 and started cruising at 12 and 8. They do not want to go on any other line and I dont either. I like the relaxed atmosphere. Also, I like to have fun but dont want drunks walking around the ship like other lines. Princess is a relaxing, enjoyable and fun line to cruise with. My mother is 61, friends are in their 50s that we cruise with.

• 5 months later...
For the past 8 consecutive years the average passenger on the Princess Fleet, worldwide, year round, is 58 years old.

For the past 7 consecutive years the average passenger on the Holland America Fleet, worldwide, year round, is 57 years old.

Thanks. I must have missed that post. We were really looking to find the mean (average,) median, and if possible, the standard deviation.

I think the person who said it's kept with the secret formula for Coca Cola's Mercantile 7x was on to something. The numbers are probably kept in a secret location, guarded by 2 Yetis and a Sasquatch.

For the past 8 consecutive years the average passenger on the Princess Fleet, worldwide, year round, is 58 years old.

For the past 7 consecutive years the average passenger on the Holland America Fleet, worldwide, year round, is 57 years old.

I wonder if they are counting children when averaging this. Because I think the average adult is a bit older than what these numbers reflect.

I wonder if they are counting children when averaging this. Because I think the average adult is a bit older than what these numbers reflect.

It doesn't take much to skew the numbers....

One 40yo and one 80yo would make the average 60yo.

I think the average would be more like the sixties or mid fifties as we are 62 and 68 and have been on only princess and would not change, I enjoy the lack of young people so less hassles and noise but some very lively oldies on our last six cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

After 28 cruises I can honestly say that every cruise is different depending on the itinerary and time of year. During School breaks there are always more children on board and fewer older people, we once did a Med cruise on Sea Princess and there were so many children on board that at times we felt that we needed to stay on our balcony just to get a little quiet time, our fault for choosing the Med on family friendly ship in July. At the other end of the scale we went to Japan and China on Pacific Princess (small ship) in early June and the only child on board was the 6 year old son of one of the officers, we were in our 50s and were among the youngest passengers on board. My advice would be to decide exactly what you are looking for and then consider the time of year and destinations to decide whether you are likely to meet your expectations.

It definitely depends on the itinerary and length of the cruise. We're in our mid 60's, and we generally take longer cruises, mostly TA's or Hawaiian cruises. On those cruises there is usually an older, more well travelled demographic. This winter we were lucky enough to take 4 Caribbean cruises, and there was much younger demographic. We felt like the well travelled oldsters. One of the 4 cruises was a 10 day on the Emerald, and there was an older demographic than the 4 and 5 day Ruby cruises we took.