Doubletree by Hilton Gallery One

Gingee

Saw a review from someone about this hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. Looking at staying here two nights before the cruise. Just wondering if it is far from Port Everglades? For instance is it worth sixty dollars (two night stay) cruise package or cheaper to take a taxi?

I like that the beach is close but I am wondering if there are any other hotels to be recommended?

I stayed at the Gallery One last year. Beautiful hotel. About a 4 block walk to the beach. Great outdoor bar right on the canal...great for yacht watching. Highly recommend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

The train is several miles from the beach. Gallery One is only about 4 miles from Port Everglades entrance. It is 2-3 blocks walk to the beach. Some beach area hotels closer to the port, in order of closest: Lago Mar, Marriott Harbor Beach, Sheraton Beach, Doubletree Bahia Mar, Courtyard Beach, Marriott Beach Place, Ritz Carlton, Alhambra, Westin Beach, W, Atlantic, B Ocean.

Gingee, we stayed here a couple of years ago. I always use Hilton points for my pre-cruise stay. I got a great rate here for a two room, four person suite.

Then we arrived.

The hotel is beautiful. We had EXCELLENT SERVICE, truly above and beyond.

But it cost me a fortune in taxi fares. MUCH more expensive than if you are staying at a hotel near the port.

Taxi from airport to hotel

Taxi from hotel to port.

Taxi from port back to hotel. (after cruise; late day flights)

Taxi from hotel to airport.

I can't recall exact amounts, but at the time, I was quite shaken up! :eek:

How do you get to the beach? I tried a google map but it looks like there is a busy road without a walkway there.

Don't worry...The hotel is on Sunrise Blvd and you just walk across the bridge and on the sidewalk on Sunrise Blvd until you get to the beach. It takes 5-10 minutes.

Gingee, we stayed here a couple of years ago. I always use Hilton points for my pre-cruise stay. I got a great rate here for a two room, four person suite.

Then we arrived.

The hotel is beautiful. We had EXCELLENT SERVICE, truly above and beyond.

But it cost me a fortune in taxi fares. MUCH more expensive than if you are staying at a hotel near the port..........

Merion Mom, It costs about $25 from airport to Gallery One, then about $20 to the port. This is about $10 more per trip than the port area hotels. So for your 4 rides, that fortune that you paid was only about $40. Considering you got a great rate on a big suite, that's not really too bad :)

Yes I was curious on how much is a lot for a taxi drive.

this is one of my fav hotels in ft lauderdale

yes taxi from airport but the next day I was able to get in a van to go to the ship

location is wonderful, on the causeway, a couple of blocks to beach--all sidewalks,

next to a mall with a bar that has all day happy hour

Debating about which plan to go with. There is a cruise special one with continental breakfast. Not crazy about the breakfast but it includes a taxi to the port. Debates on which is the right one. Are there grocery stores within walking distance to bring breakfast back in?

...Are there grocery stores within walking distance to bring breakfast back in?

There is a Publix grocery store right across the street. There is also a really nice Starbucks across the street as well as a mini Starbucks in the hotel lobby.

Love the Gallery One.

We will stay again pre cruise.

It has a water taix stop right outside their door. Great way to get around and see the sights both day and in the evening. Galleria Mall and Publix two blocks away.

We shared a taxi van to port with another couple who were staying there and on our cruise. very easy.

Merion Mom, It costs about $25 from airport to Gallery One, then about $20 to the port. This is about $10 more per trip than the port area hotels. So for your 4 rides, that fortune that you paid was only about $40. Considering you got a great rate on a big suite, that's not really too bad :)

The rides were more than $25 each on the meter, then tip on top of that.

I could have had the same "great rate" at any other Hilton property in Fort Lauderdale, and saved more like $15 per ride, for a total of $60-ish.

I don't know about you, but given the choice, I would rather not have spent that extra $60.

We are really looking forward to our 2 night stay at this hotel!

We will be paying for it with Airmiles gift certificates (we're from Canada) and have also purchased the $19 2-4-1 All Day Pass for the Water Taxi from TravelZoo! (as of this morning this deal is still available...)

When we were planning our itinerary we thought that the location of this hotel and the nearby amenities -- canal, water taxi, Galleria Mall, Publix -- should provide us with a really nice pre-cruise experience!

Thinking of staying here next post cruise. It is the only Hilton property in the area we have not tried. The cab fares have held us back too. Maybe we will use our free car rental points but then we pay to park. Such stressful choices! LOL

We're flying in on Nov 28th (U.S. Thanksgiving) and will take a taxi from the airport to the hotel...once we're at the hotel we can branch out from there. We figure that the location of this hotel and the local amenities more than compensate for a $25 cab fare!

We don't usually arrive two days before we embark but decided that this trip we would like to see some of Fort Lauderdale. After all, we spend a small fortune to fly there so why not explore!

We usually fly in the night before embarkation and stay at the Best Western Airport/CruisePort which is really just a means to an end and not terribly special, pretty, fun or interesting...a clean bed and that's pretty much it...

So this time we plan on a wee bit of Black Friday shopping ;) at Galleria Mall...then its onto the water taxi ($19 for both of us for the all day pass) to Las Olas Boulevard to explore the galleries and shops then dinner at one of the lovely restaurants...water taxi back to the hotel...buy our 2 bottles of wine at Publix...and take the shuttle to the Eclipse on Saturday!

So, it's really only one taxi ride! and look at all we have planned to do.

(p.s. Thank you RoyalCruz for posting that there's a Starbucks!!)

Archived