Athletic shorts allowed for dining on the Dream?

wwforever11

I have two sons 13 and 16 while they hate dressing up I do make them wear a collard shirt and slacks or nice shorts for dinner it is only for two hours they can change after dinner I don't care. I am the parent so I decide. Plus I am paying for the cruise there are some rules

Good for you!

Wow, I can say I am quite surprised by the variety of responses. Some are a bit rude, some are nicely put and I appreciate that. I have to say that I realize ATHLETIC shorts are for sports, however, nice athletic shorts are also worn quite often by kids, especially tween age to school and on a daily basis (like out to eat at restaurants such as Red Robin, Texas Roadhouse, etc). I wouldn't say that the outfits my children wear are faded, worn, etc, and I wouldn't classify then as "play clothes" either.

I guess we don't make it a habit of going out to eat with our kids at "fine dining" restaurants, we don't attend church or any other affairs which would require "dress up clothes" (I am a night shift weekend nurse). But our kids always look nice and presentable in their "athletic wear".

Our oldest (12 year old) honestly owns nothing else. Under Armour and Nike are his clothes of choice (I'm sure being in Middle School affects this attitude..lol) I was simply asking if I should put out some more money to buy him some khakis to wear for a few nights (that he likely won't wear again...one, they won't fit next summer and two, they aren't as comfortable).

You seem to have your mind made up and of course the final decision is upto you but just be aware they may be turned away for wearing athletic shorts as they don't "fit the bill" and are not dress shorts which is what the policy has just been relaxed too.

You can make up your own rules but please don't try to pass them off as DCL's.

The rule isn't "dress shorts" - the DCL dress code is no swimsuits or tank tops. Shorts of any fabric or style are allowed.

wwforever11, don't worry about it. As long as your boys aren't wearing swimsuits and tank tops, they will be allowed into the dining room every night and no DCL CM will even bat an eye.

You can make up your own rules but please don't try to pass them off as DCL's.

The rule isn't "dress shorts" - the DCL dress code is no swimsuits or tank tops. Shorts of any fabric or style are allowed.

wwforever11, don't worry about it. As long as your boys aren't wearing swimsuits and tank tops, they will be allowed into the dining room every night and no DCL CM will even bat an eye.

Thanks so much. :) I was able to find some khaki's for our youngest and also found some khaki shorts online for our oldest (that is a difficult task to buy shorts in October!). We will see what the crowd is wearing and go from there. I appreciate your support....I wasn't looking for drama with this blog, just a question. ;)

Wow, I can say I am quite surprised by the variety of responses. Some are a bit rude, some are nicely put and I appreciate that. I have to say that I realize ATHLETIC shorts are for sports, however, nice athletic shorts are also worn quite often by kids, especially tween age to school and on a daily basis (like out to eat at restaurants such as Red Robin, Texas Roadhouse, etc). I wouldn't say that the outfits my children wear are faded, worn, etc, and I wouldn't classify then as "play clothes" either.

I guess we don't make it a habit of going out to eat with our kids at "fine dining" restaurants, we don't attend church or any other affairs which would require "dress up clothes" (I am a night shift weekend nurse). But our kids always look nice and presentable in their "athletic wear".

Our oldest (12 year old) honestly owns nothing else. Under Armour and Nike are his clothes of choice (I'm sure being in Middle School affects this attitude..lol) I was simply asking if I should put out some more money to buy him some khakis to wear for a few nights (that he likely won't wear again...one, they won't fit next summer and two, they aren't as comfortable).

The atmosphere in the DCL MDR's is much nicer than those places that you mention, which are basically full service fast food.

On one cruise, we had to get up at some awful hour to go to Rockin Ds to do our paperwork for arrival in St. Thomas. They served coffee and danishes and Mick n Min were there. I was thinking as I waited in line that it would be fun of they turned this into a pajama party where you could go do your paperwork in pajamas and a robe. I suggested it to a CM but apparently it never caught on. My wife's Minnie Mouse pajamas made me think of it.

That's going back some time having an immigration check in St T, they haven't done that for a long time on closed loop cruises.

[sNIP] wwforever11, don't worry about it. As long as your boys aren't wearing swimsuits and tank tops, they will be allowed into the dining room every night and no DCL CM will even bat an eye.

Very true they will not be denied entrance, but will the CMs not roll their eyes if they were to turn up in what is sports attire (designed to be worn during sporting activities, not during a meal) and not regular casual?

If there is a dress up optional night as well and others have made the effort to wear khaki shorts at least, the servers in Tux's.

I would feel out of place being that dressed down personally.

OP wwforever11,

I see you have managed to purchase some khaki shorts for your boys.

I think once you dine in the MDR's you will be glad and agree that they fit the atmosphere a lot more and are more appropriate.

The atmosphere in the DCL MDR's is much nicer than those places that you mention, which are basically full service fast food.

We need a thumbs up thingy on here Mods!

ex techie

Very true they will not be denied entrance, but will the CMs not roll their eyes if they were to turn up in what is sports attire (designed to be worn during sporting activities, not during a meal) and not regular casual?

And risk their tip because the family thought them rude? I doubt they'd roll their eyes at the guest.

For me, I don't really care what my dining room server thinks of what I'm wearing.

And risk their tip because the family thought them rude? I doubt they'd roll their eyes at the guest.

For me, I don't really care what my dining room server thinks of what I'm wearing.

I didn't say in front of you or visibly to you.

And you obviously couldn't care less what others think of you either.

Do you take the attitude of "do your own thing and ignore whatever anyone else thinks or who it may affect them" person?

ex techie

I was raised to "Do in Rome." If we were going someplace, my mother would always make sure we were dressed appropriately for that place. We didn't wear church clothes to the playground, but we also didn't show up to a wedding with a country club reception in shorts and t-shirts.

If I kid shows up in athletic shorts will it ruin my dining experience No. If an adult is dressed inappropriately sometimes it does. I don't want to look at a fellow passenger in swim attire or sometimes even jean shorts during a nice dinner. To the OP do what you want and after the first dinner if you felt your boys should wear nicer clothes then the next night have them.

If I kid shows up in athletic shorts will it ruin my dining experience No. If an adult is dressed inappropriately sometimes it does. I don't want to look at a fellow passenger in swim attire or sometimes even jean shorts during a nice dinner. To the OP do what you want and after the first dinner if you felt your boys should wear nicer clothes then the next night have them.

12 is almost a young adult about to enter their teens, not a kid IMO and at that age need to respect rules and boundaries.

You could even be looking at growing hairy pits at that age in a basketball vest?!!

Yes you can chose to eat where you want, but at some places they require you to dress up a little more than basketball, baseball, soccer practice maybe? ;)

Your advice to the OP is ass backward. Dress up nice the first night, dress down the second night if you really feel the need to! But the first night is pretty much always less dressy after the emabrk and drill and sailaway.

ex techie

Ex techie if my advice is ass backwards you didn't see my first post. Most people have been saying it is up To the op what is appropriate for her children. She is the mom she can decide for herself and her family. Also I think I just threw up in my mouth a little with your armpit comment.

Ex techie if my advice is ass backwards you didn't see my first post. Most people have been saying it is up To the op what is appropriate for her children. She is the mom she can decide for herself and her family. Also I think I just threw up in my mouth a little with your armpit comment.

Firstly my apologies for making you have "a protein spill" in your mouth! :o:eek:

You can see what I meant though obviously!

I do think they should dress up nice for the first night (even though more casual, but not as casual as asked if okay), and judge it from there. The second night will be the tester for the mom to say yes or no.

ex techie

Sure they did not pay for your trip like someone else posted, but there is a thing called respect and manners. I believe kids and some people need to be taight there is a time and place for sports clothing and the MDR is not one of them. Sorry I just say as I see it..

12 is almost a young adult about to enter their teens, not a kid IMO and at that age need to respect rules and boundaries.

You could even be looking at growing hairy pits at that age in a basketball vest?!!

Yes you can chose to eat where you want, but at some places they require you to dress up a little more than basketball, baseball, soccer practice maybe? ;)

Your advice to the OP is ass backward. Dress up nice the first night, dress down the second night if you really feel the need to! But the first night is pretty much always less dressy after the emabrk and drill and sailaway.

ex techie

You make a good point. Isn't "no tank tops" part of the dress code? Any sports jersey without sleeves is what I'd consider a tank top, therefore not allowed.

You make a good point. Isn't "no tank tops" part of the dress code? Any sports jersey without sleeves is what I'd consider a tank top, therefore not allowed.

haha!

I believe some members asked where the line would be drawn when DCL chose to not define what kind of "shorts" when they amended the request, and look at where we are now, just a few months later! ;)

Some of us were berated for thinking it would happen, that people would push the boundaries further into beyond casual and into couch wear, and were shot down.

But now HOW DO you or how do we or how SHOULD DCL define a tank top now when it was bought as the top piece of a two part sports "shirt" and shorts?

#anotherDCLchangeinpolicyscrewup ! lol!:p:D

ex techie

Thanks so much. :) I was able to find some khaki's for our youngest and also found some khaki shorts online for our oldest (that is a difficult task to buy shorts in October!). We will see what the crowd is wearing and go from there. I appreciate your support....I wasn't looking for drama with this blog, just a question. ;)

It's good to read you found some khakis. I am sure the boys will have plenty of time to wear their athletic gear around the ship;)

I hope Disney comes to regret allowing shorts in the MDR's and changes the dress code back. :(

They won't. DCL changed the dress code to officially allow shorts because they weren't enforcing the no shorts rule anyway. They should have specified the type of shorts but they didn't, so now that's left up to the discretion of the guest.

Archived