Athletic shorts allowed for dining on the Dream?

wwforever11

We are heading to the Bahamas in December on the Disney Dream. Our boys, ages 9 and 12, are highly into sports and usually wear athletic wear every day (tshirts and mesh/athletic shorts). Don't get me wrong, they do look nice, not typical play clothes. :) I am debating on if I should invest in some nice khaki shorts for the dining. Sorry for the silly question, just trying to be appropriately prepared!:rolleyes:

We are heading to the Bahamas in December on the Disney Dream. Our boys, ages 9 and 12, are highly into sports and usually wear athletic wear every day (tshirts and mesh/athletic shorts). Don't get me wrong, they do look nice, not typical play clothes. :) I am debating on if I should invest in some nice khaki shorts for the dining. Sorry for the silly question, just trying to be appropriately prepared!:rolleyes:

Would you let your kids wear those kind of shorts to a fine dining restaurant at home? :rolleyes: That's how you have to look at it. It's only an hour and a half. Then they can change back.

DCL allows shorts in the dining rooms. They do not specify which kind. Personally, I would invest in some nice khaki shorts and polo style shirts. But, I have to add that if your boys wear the athletic shorts they will not be violating the dress code.

I am on who feels the athletic shorts would not be proper!

IMO ...AKK

I am on who feels the athletic shorts would not be proper!

IMO ...AKK

I agree. While I have not yet cruised DCL, and understand their reasoning for allowing shorts, it just seems "wrong" to me to allow shorts in the MDR for dinner. For any other cruise line, the answer would be to invest in khaki pants, not shorts.

While they might be within the context of shorts, I highly doubt that this is the type of shorts attire DCL was referring to. Unfortunately it looks like they'll have to add some additional clarification because some people can't use a little common sense. :rolleyes:

By the way, you PLAY sports, therefore they are PLAY clothes.

While they might be within the context of shorts, I highly doubt that this is the type of shorts attire DCL was referring to. Unfortunately it looks like they'll have to add some additional clarification because some people can't use a little common sense. :rolleyes:

By the way, you PLAY sports, therefore they are PLAY clothes.

Well put DL!:D

AKK

Dining everywhere, including DCL ships, has become more casual.

If you would take your kids to a "fine dining" sit down type restaurant at home wearing XYZ, then it is probably ok on the ship (no tank tops or swimwear). If you would dress them a little better at home, you should do the same on the ship.

Buy something decent!:)

Would you let your kids wear those kind of shorts to a fine dining restaurant at home? :rolleyes: That's how you have to look at it. It's only an hour and a half. Then they can change back.

MDR are not fine dining. They are casual dining with average mass production food. I would say similar to Olive Garden or Red Lobster type atmosphere. Palo and Remy are fine dining.

It's YOUR vacation.

Some people spend too much time worrying about what others do or do not wear.

When it's really none of their business.

What I wear is no one else's business but my own. If they paid for my trip then maybe the'd have the right to have an opinion on it. ;)

Wearing "Athletic" shorts in the dining room will not effect the quality of service nor food for those around you.

Do what you think is appropriate for your family.

To each their own!

It's YOUR trip..you paid for it!

It's YOUR vacation.

Some people spend too much time worrying about what others do or do not wear.

When it's really none of their business.

What I wear is no one else's business but my own. If they paid for my trip then maybe the'd have the right to have an opinion on it. ;)

Wearing "Athletic" shorts in the dining room will not effect the quality of service nor food for those around you.

Do what you think is appropriate for your family.

To each their own!

It's YOUR trip..you paid for it!

Hear hear I agree I have posted on another thread about the rules police more interested in others than having a vacation.

I will make it clear that I abide by the rules as much as I can on the cruise and if I or my family did break any it's down to a mistake.

But as well as everyone trying to meet the rules mistakes can occur, I agree do what you feel is appropriate for your family try to meet the code, but do not worry about the red in the face rules police person, they are not in charge of the cruise albeit a few feel they have been appointed personally or empowered to tell people off, when the slightest error occurs.

My son aged 15 on the Fantasy last year on the first afternoon accidentally walden through the adult area, it was a ten second thing or would be until a cruiser had a dissproporual go at him that it's adults only.

He didn't sit down, he didn't go in the pool, it was a mistake and the go it him shook him up do much I wanted to find who it was.

Rules are there to follow and guide but some people go far to far and leave a go about a minor error.

I recall once being on the magic on embarkation at Topsiders, we went down the line as a family, one man who clearly had gone through before, didn't go through the queue again cut in between the four of us so two split from two, and then he took his time snd held the queue up.

I didn't say anything but then in the crowded Topsiders it actually took twenty minutes for us to meet up again as we were both looking for each other.

Athletic shorts, the type you run in, in the main dining room and others think this is OK, really, I am surprised? Is this because it is children or do you think adults should be allowed to go to diner in shorts they wear to play sport in or train? This is why DCL should have stuck to the no shorts, because now people will wear any type of shorts. To the OP this comment is not directed at you, it is just in general.

In life, I dislike this selfish attitude of break all the rules and do what you want you have paid for it, well so have others who are a bit more respectful of the rules. Yes mistakes happen sometimes, as exampled above, but the blatant F you, I will do what I want and F everone else, is something I have found is wrong with society nowadays.

Athletic shorts, the type you run in, in the main dining room and others think this is OK, really, I am surprised? Is this because it is children or do you think adults should be allowed to go to diner in shorts they wear to play sport in or train? This is why DCL should have stuck to the no shorts, because now people will wear any type of shorts. To the OP this comment is not directed at you, it is just in general.

In life, I dislike this selfish attitude of break all the rules and do what you want you have paid for it, well so have others who are a bit more respectful of the rules. Yes mistakes happen sometimes, as exampled above, but the blatant F you, I will do what I want and F everone else, is something I have found is wrong with society nowadays.

Yes I agree.

We aim to follow all rules set.

But anyone can make a mistake.

It can upset others if you deliberately breach rules, ie a child in the adult entertainment area post 9pm is a no no. A child in Palo or the gym is a no no,

A child walking through an adult pool area on a poor designed ship on thier first day, people need to cut them some slack.

[sNIP] It's YOUR vacation. [sNIP]

It is, but your actions do affect others.

[sNIP] Wearing "Athletic" shorts in the dining room will not effect the quality of service nor food for those around you. [sNIP]

Will you being dressed to play basketball affect the quality of service and food? No.

Will it affect or lower the atmosphere when others are dressed nicely, made an effort and you show up in sports clothing?

(SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK FOR A REPLY)

[sNIP]It's YOUR trip..you paid for it![sNIP]

Yes you did.

But should you think about the affect you have on others, be that attitude, manners, attire and behavior?

(SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK FOR A REPLY)

ex techie

You can but please don't. The dining rooms are upscale restaurants with cloth tablecloths and napkins. It's not McDonalds. The khaki shorts with collared shirts would be just fine for kids their age.

This is a good opportunity to teach them that there is appropriate dress everywhere you go and for every occasion. You don't wear a suit to the beach, you don't wear your pajamas and slippers to the mall and you don't wear gym clothes to a nice restaurant.

You can but please don't. The dining rooms are upscale restaurants with cloth tablecloths and napkins. It's not McDonalds. The khaki shorts with collared shirts would be just fine for kids their age.

This is a good opportunity to teach them that there is appropriate dress everywhere you go and for every occasion. You don't wear a suit to the beach, you don't wear your pajamas and slippers to the mall and you don't wear gym clothes to a nice restaurant.

Whilst agree I have seen cruisers in pyjamas in the MDRs in fact on one cruise it was an organised event by the cruise meets thread. But agree its a good way to teach children and they do like it.

Whilst agree I have seen cruisers in pyjamas in the MDRs in fact on one cruise it was an organised event by the cruise meets thread. But agree its a good way to teach children and they do like it.

On one cruise, we had to get up at some awful hour to go to Rockin Ds to do our paperwork for arrival in St. Thomas. They served coffee and danishes and Mick n Min were there. I was thinking as I waited in line that it would be fun of they turned this into a pajama party where you could go do your paperwork in pajamas and a robe. I suggested it to a CM but apparently it never caught on. My wife's Minnie Mouse pajamas made me think of it.

I have two sons 13 and 16 while they hate dressing up I do make them wear a collard shirt and slacks or nice shorts for dinner it is only for two hours they can change after dinner I don't care. I am the parent so I decide. Plus I am paying for the cruise there are some rules

Archived