Seven Mile Beach On a Budget

fpcruiser

Hi, We will be sailing on The Independence in late January. We are looking to do Seven Mile Beach on a budget. I know we can take the public bus, but which bus. I looked at the bus schedule once but couldn't figure out which one( we usually always take RCI excursions).

Some in our group may take an excursion that ends at Tiki Beach. Is that a public beach? If so, is the bus stops marked so we know where to get off?

If we take a cab, are there cabs readily available near the beach?

Sorry for all the questions, one of the couples in the group have to know all the answers before they will do this.

Thanks

We went to Seven Mile Beach while in Grand Cayman in September. There were cabs (vans) at the port who would take you to a few of the resorts/beaches. It was $4 per person to go to Royal Palms Resort. There was a $2 entry fee per person for the resort. There was a pool and a beach. The beach was beautiful. There was an additional charge for the lounge chairs on the beach, but I'm not sure what it was.

We did have lunch there and we knew it would be costly. I think the bill came to around $50 and included a couple of fish sandwiches and a couple of drinks. I guess you can keep the costs down by not eating there.

Happy Cruising!

Here's a website with bus info. If you're going to Seven Mile Beach, Bus Route 1 (Yellow) and Bus Route 2 (Lime Green) will take you north of George Town. From what I've read, you can tell the driver where you're going on the route, and they'll drop you off at the location.

http://www.grandcayman4u.com/transport/buses.htm

The beaches are free and public....you don't NEED to go to a resort! There are chair/umbrella rentals all up and down the beach. Restrooms and restaurants are also strategically placed! Also, watersport rentals are available, if you want to splurge on something like that.

Simply walk up to the bus and ask where they go!

Here's a website with bus info. If you're going to Seven Mile Beach, Bus Route 1 (Yellow) and Bus Route 2 (Lime Green) will take you north of George Town. From what I've read, you can tell the driver where you're going on the route, and they'll drop you off at the location.

We did this on our first visit. We walked a couple of blocks and accidently found the bus stop. Crawled into a van, told the driver to drop us at Cemetery Beach and spent the day there with maybe 20 people. No amenities, just nice beach , fair snorkeling and a little shade. Fit our needs fine. When we were ready to go back to the pier we walked out to the road and waved down van. When they see you walking they honk. If you want a ride just wave and they will pullover. I've used public transportation in Mexico too. Works Swell!

• 2 months later...

FYI for all, this website is no longer active.

Here's a replacement that also lists the bus routes: http://wikitravel.org/en/Grand_Cayman

Edited by VideoTech

Just returned for GC and Royal Palms. We walked out of the port area and straight ahead a couple of blocks to the library. My DH did ask a couple of people on the way just in caase :rolleyes:To the right was the bus station (if you want to call it that) all of the buses are there. There is also a person in a little building that was very helpful. We asked him about a bus to Royal Palms and he called a driver over. The cost is $2.50 pp, pay as you exit the bus. We told the driver where we wanted to go and we were off. He did pick up a few other people on the way, very quick, stop they get in and off we go. Once there we paid US cash. Please have correct change if possible. When we left RP we were walking to the road and a cab offered to take us back to the port for the same price as the bus so we took it. The bus would have been fine also but he was there and offered. I guess he figured he was going back to the port and having a paying fare was better than nothing :) Very easy :D

...we just came back as well. Two weeks, B2B, on the Indy. We decided to DIY to 7-mile Beach and took the local bus there and back. At the port area, there will be numerous locals offering to take you on a tour or anywhere you'd want to go, including 7-mile beach.

If you truly want to go "budget", walk past fence and simply walk about a couple of blocks and you'll see the local bus....actually vans. Yes, the driver will honk his horn if they see you walking by them. Not sure if we got a special deal but we only paid $2/person going there and the same going back.

After our day on the beach, we simply walked to the main road (walk across the street, they drive on the "wrong" side of the road...left side.), we haven't gotten to the bus stop sign when a van honked...we waved...it stopped...and we were with all the other locals. The distance to 7-mile beach is not far...we even saw a number of young and abled passengers walking.

NOTE: Most passengers taking the $4 vans at the port were being dropped off the Royal Palms, or other hotels. To enter the beach area at the Royal Palms hotel, a guy was charging a $2 entrance fee. When I asked him what it was for, he pointed to a sign (appears to be printed and home made.) I commented that the beach is public and is free. He did not respond. We decided to simply walk out the parking lot and around the hotel using a narrow public road....................free! You have free access to the wonderful and near empty beach. Got me thinking...how much money are these guys making on unsuspecting cruise passengers?...and I'm sure the drivers get a take for bringing passengers there....hmmmmm, just a thought. :rolleyes:

...we just came back as well. Two weeks, B2B, on the Indy. We decided to DIY to 7-mile Beach and took the local bus there and back. At the port area, there will be numerous locals offering to take you on a tour or anywhere you'd want to go, including 7-mile beach.

If you truly want to go "budget", walk past fence and simply walk about a couple of blocks and you'll see the local bus....actually vans. Yes, the driver will honk his horn if they see you walking by them. Not sure if we got a special deal but we only paid $2/person going there and the same going back.

After our day on the beach, we simply walked to the main road (walk across the street, they drive on the "wrong" side of the road...left side.), we haven't gotten to the bus stop sign when a van honked...we waved...it stopped...and we were with all the other locals. The distance to 7-mile beach is not far...we even saw a number of young and abled passengers walking.

NOTE: Most passengers taking the $4 vans at the port were being dropped off the Royal Palms, or other hotels. To enter the beach area at the Royal Palms hotel, a guy was charging a $2 entrance fee. When I asked him what it was for, he pointed to a sign (appears to be printed and home made.) I commented that the beach is public and is free. He did not respond. We decided to simply walk out the parking lot and around the hotel using a narrow public road....................free! You have free access to the wonderful and near empty beach. Got me thinking...how much money are these guys making on unsuspecting cruise passengers?...and I'm sure the drivers get a take for bringing passengers there....hmmmmm, just a thought. :rolleyes:

Actually if you go to the Royal Palms website it does say 2.00 for daily pass. I'm sure that's for keeping their beach area clean among other things.

Impossible to over-state how relaxed, friendly and low key Cayman is -- very simple to get to 7 mile beach and no need to spend a lot of money. Don't worry about "stops" just wave and a van with space will stop and drive you where you want to go!

Sea Grape Beach is public and not that far from port. They have a snack shack, but it's not cheap, but what is on Grand Cayman?

We're did the "bus" thing our first time there, but now we just catch a cab in port. It's only a couple bucks more or so.

They'll drop you off right in town on the way back. Plenty of shops.

We are doing the RC Independence of the Seas in April. We want to do the snorkeling excursion (shipwreck & reef) that is offered at noon for 2-1/2 hours. We would also like some beach time. Can we squeeze both in? Before or after excursion? Which part of 7-mile would you suggest and how should we (family of 4) get there? Gotta be back at the boat at 5.