Platinum AE card -- NO Perks given, RCI cruise :(

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone using a Platinum AE card to book a cruise. Before I start I want to clarify we are NOT COMPLAINING about the great deal we got on our upcoming Royal Caribbean TA. Just a word of caution since I had not seen this information before. If you book a cruise with your Platinum AE card, it is advertised that you get certain perks i.e. up to $300 obc or two category upgrade, dinner for two and bottle of wine/champagne. We booked in May using a senior discount and our diamond balcony discount thus giving us a great price on a TA next month. However, we were NOT entitled to ANY benefits when we booked with our Platinum AE card through AE Travel. We called AE today and it was confirmed that we were not entitled to any benefits. I had understood that these were benefits from AE by having and booking with a Platinum card however, that is NOT the case. I could have booked anywhere and gotten the same price AND perhaps some obc from another TA, I don't know as I didn't shop around trusting AE, silly me. Just a lesson learned and hope it can assist other Platinum card holders... Thanks for letting me vent!

Did they say WHY you were not eligible for any of the advertised perks? I know that sometimes TA's reduce OBC or other perks when you are using Crown & Anchor discounts...I really think I would pursue this a bit more & find out the reason you were denied perks...

I find this very puzzling and too would encourage the OP to pursue this further with the travel agent (especially since it appears it was an Amex TA). I know the T&C's for the Amex Cruise Privileges program say it's not combinable with other offers BUT I wouldn't think that using the senior and Diamond discounts would apply as "other offers" (since those are between you and RCI, not Amex).

Did they say WHY you were not eligible for any of the advertised perks? I know that sometimes TA's reduce OBC or other perks when you are using Crown & Anchor discounts...I really think I would pursue this a bit more & find out the reason you were denied perks...

They said "We take the best deal for you or what works out best for you, we could raise the price and give you the perks but that wouldn't make sense." I said, I thought that these perks were from AE." She said "You're getting such a good deal, pretty soon they'll pay YOU to cruise." I said "Well I guess I could have booked the same price from anyone, right?" She said "Yes.... but AE gives you so much more, benefits, blah, blah, blah.... I could call RCI and see..." We said "OK, call them" Of course she did and we are entitled to nothing. I couldn't see where else we could go....

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone using a Platinum AE card to book a cruise. Before I start I want to clarify we are NOT COMPLAINING about the great deal we got on our upcoming Royal Caribbean TA. Just a word of caution since I had not seen this information before. If you book a cruise with your Platinum AE card, it is advertised that you get certain perks i.e. up to $300 obc or two category upgrade, dinner for two and bottle of wine/champagne. We booked in May using a senior discount and our diamond balcony discount thus giving us a great price on a TA next month. However, we were NOT entitled to ANY benefits when we booked with our Platinum AE card through AE Travel. We called AE today and it was confirmed that we were not entitled to any benefits. I had understood that these were benefits from AE by having and booking with a Platinum card however, that is NOT the case. I could have booked anywhere and gotten the same price AND perhaps some obc from another TA, I don't know as I didn't shop around trusting AE, silly me. Just a lesson learned and hope it can assist other Platinum card holders... Thanks for letting me vent!

Cruizlovers, the AMEX benefits are not available with any C&A balcony discounts, shareholder benefits, you will need to decide if which benefits are better for you, the AMEX or C&A.

These benefits are not coming from TA. If Platinum AMEX denies you the benefits, that's one thing. This agency has no right to deny your benefits from the credit card, maybe they don't know how to request for this benefits?...

Cruizlovers, the AMEX benefits are not available with any C&A balcony discounts, shareholder benefits, you will need to decide if which benefits are better for you, the AMEX or C&A.

Well actually this is only partially true based on our last cruise. In May we had a Jr. Suite on the Jewel, we had used our C&A balcony/suite discount AND received the AE benefits also. So, I am not sure what the rules are of if they vary based on the cost of the cruise.

Since they are giving you absolutely nothing, if you wish, you could ask them to release your booking back to the cruiseline. At the very least, you would then be in control of your booking.

I have run into this before and found out that the benefits from AE are due to a partnership with RCL. So the benefits are not combinable and the agent that told the OP that they look for the best deal with that in mind was correct.

If you are within 30 days of booking this (I think that is the limit to transfer it to a TA), I echo the suggestion to try to get AE to release the booking back to the cruise line. And then transfer it to a TA that will give you some OBC or pay your gratuities. TA perks can be combined as they truly have nothing to do with RCL.

I have a Platinum card and have given up even calling them for cruise bookings as it has never worked out to be the better deal. I keep it for several other benefits it provides (such as airport lounge access).

I have run into this before and found out that the benefits from AE are due to a partnership with RCL. So the benefits are not combinable and the agent that told the OP that they look for the best deal with that in mind was correct.

If you are within 30 days of booking this (I think that is the limit to transfer it to a TA), I echo the suggestion to try to get AE to release the booking back to the cruise line. And then transfer it to a TA that will give you some OBC or pay your gratuities. TA perks can be combined as they truly have nothing to do with RCL.

I have a Platinum card and have given up even calling them for cruise bookings as it has never worked out to be the better deal. I keep it for several other benefits it provides (such as airport lounge access).

Thanks, that makes sense. I will know better next time. Too late to transfer to another TA, we'll just be happy with the great price we got and be grateful we can cruise!

I have found that the Platinum Amex benefits are outstanding, with the exception of Royal Caribbean. Our Diamond balcony discount is always better than the Amex benefits.

We just cruised for the first time on Celebrity and had no trouble with the Plat benefits. I think we've take advantage of the program on 3 or 4 lines.

You do not need to book through Amex to take advantage of the perks. Your travel agent will know how to apply the benefits.

Archived