Thinking of doing a Norwegian Fjords cruise...have questions

SF

We are trying to decide whether to do the Norwegian Fjords cruise with Princess or their Iceland/Norway/British Isles cruise.

Has anyone been to Stavanger, Geiranger, Trondheim, Magdalena Fjord,

Spitsbergen, Honningsvag, Tromso, and Bergen?

The other cruise goes to Oslo, Stavanger, Flaam, Lerwick, Torshavn, Akureyri,

Reykjavik, Greenock, and Dublin.

Out of those two which has the better ports and which cruise would you suggest. We aren't familiar with these ports and would like some opinions. It leaves out of Southhampton and I've been doing some checking into transportation to and from Heathrow and it seems the bus system is the best option.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Our tours took us to Greenock, Dublin and Bergen of those on your lists. We absolutely loved Bergen and would LOVE to go back to Norway in a heartbeat...in fact of ALL our ports, we loved Norway the most! However, we are so glad that we docked in Greenock, Scotland and took the tour into Edinburgh to see Edinburgh Castle...That was some spectacular sight! After touring a few castles in England, none of the previous ones compared to Ediburgh Castle! It was striking sitting up on top of the cliffs!

We weren't big on Dublin, mainly because to our family it appeared to be mostly a "factory" town. I mean that the town 'seems' to have been built around the Guiness factory...Not that we didn't enjoy our tour of the factory (which is really just their storehouse, they won't give factory tours)...and we did enjoy seeing the Book of Kells at Trinity College. It just wasn't as spectacular as traveling up the funnicular to the top of Mt. Floien in Bergen or seeing that castle in Scotland...

I have to tell you that If I had to do it over again, i would probably pick simply the cruise thru the fjords....but I am so glad we saw the ports of call that we did!

Good luck and have a great trip!

June

We are planning to take this trip in 2007. Why not plan ahead?

I think when the time comes, I will compare, ports, ships, fares and dates. I have been to Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, Flam and Edinburgh. All of which I would love to see again. Oslo is wonderful with the museums, Bergen for the markets and funiculars, and Stavanger for its charm. We want to go as far north as possible so I will take that into consideration. Good luck with your planning.

We took the Royal Princess two years ago on an itinerary which was a mix of the two itineraries that you are looking at. It was Southampton, Bergen, Geiranger, Trondheim, Akuyeri, Reykyavik, Belfast, Southampton and it was an outstanding cruise in all respects. Based on your two choices I would lean a little towards the one including Iceland although I don't think you can go wrong with either itinerary.

We are trying to decide whether to do the Norwegian Fjords cruise with Princess or their Iceland/Norway/British Isles cruise.

Has anyone been to Stavanger, Geiranger, Trondheim, Magdalena Fjord,

Spitsbergen, Honningsvag, Tromso, and Bergen?

The other cruise goes to Oslo, Stavanger, Flaam, Lerwick, Torshavn, Akureyri,

Reykjavik, Greenock, and Dublin.

Out of those two which has the better ports and which cruise would you suggest. We aren't familiar with these ports and would like some opinions. It leaves out of Southhampton and I've been doing some checking into transportation to and from Heathrow and it seems the bus system is the best option.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Both itineraries are terrific and you can't go wrong either way.

However, of the two I feel that the 2nd one is better because you get to see 2 cities in Iceland (I love Iceland!) and you get to a world class city like Dublin. (although Oslo is also fantastic and you'll miss it on cruise #2).

If time allows, I'd highly recommend doing a few pre/post cruise days too.

Jane

Thanks to all for posting. We do get to go to Oslo on the Iceland itinerary. The one we miss on that trip is Bergen. We are leaning towards the Iceland one as we really want to visit there.

Would still love to hear from others about their experiences.

Also, how is the best way to get from Heathrow to Southhampton? If we have a return flight of 1:45PM and have to be there 3 hrs earlier will we make it? What time do you get off the ship?

estebofarr

I haven't looked recently at the Princess itinerary offerings in this area but I do recall that when we took the itinerary in 2003 it was the only sailing that summer.

SF

We used the Princess bus transfer from Heathrow to Southampton and return. I believe it was $75 per person each way. It was very convenient. There is public bus and train service that could be cheaper but access to this transportation and getting to and from the pier complicates things a little. On the Southampton to Heathrow trip at the conclusion of the cruise they will guarantee you can catch flights from 1:00 P.M. and later. At least that was the guarantee in 2003.

Wes Paulson

Thanks, may pay to spend the little extra with Princess transfers and not have to take a taxi to get from bus depot to the ship, especially with all the luggage and four people.

Has anyone been to Stavanger, Geiranger, Trondheim, Magdalena Fjord, Spitsbergen, Honningsvag, Tromso, and Bergen?

The other cruise goes to Oslo, Stavanger, Flaam, Lerwick, Torshavn, Akureyri, Reykjavik, Greenock, and Dublin.

Out of those two which has the better ports and which cruise would you suggest.

If you are choosing between the two and haven't been to Spitsbergen, go there unless you believe that you will get a chance to do that some other way or some other time. The ports of call on the other cruise are all easy to get to in a number of different ways, but going as far north as Spitsbergen is an experience of which few people will ever have the chance. That's not just for the place itself, which is spectacular enough, but also for experiences like over a week of uninterrupted daylight during the cruise.

I am trying to find time to write a full review of the cruise that I've just done.

hi sf,

it seems to me that your choice between the two cruises is as follows.....

do you want to see the norwegian fjords???

if so, then stick to the cruise offering the norwegian fjords.....

my husband and i did this cruise last july, 2004 on princess...

it was spectacular....from southern norway all the way past the arctic circle half way to the north pole... the waterfalls, the sights, the reindeer, endless beauty....

surprisingly the weather was most cooperative...we took scarves and gloves and didn't need them...

should you decide on this cruise, please get in touch and we will share everything you need to know...

by the way..we share the same initials (sf)

shelley

Thanks Shelley,

We're leaning more towards the itinerary that includes Iceland. The Norwegian Fjords only sailing is mid June and that's not as good a time for us. We prefer to sail the first week of July so that's weighting into our decision. Have you been to any of the ports I listed above which include Iceland?

I am so glad this thread has been started. I am in the process of planning a Norwegien Fjords cruise for '07, also.

Shelley...I am thrilled that you were so pleased with Princess...that would be our choice, too. I would like to keep in touch with you...if that's ok. Did you do any private tours or ship excursions?

Kathy

hi,

you seem to be leaning toward the combo cruise of iceland-norway-british isles because of the date of sailing....

if you are VERY patient i will have further info for since my husband and i are going on a transatlantic cruise this fall that includes:

greenock(where we will do edinburgh on our own using the ship's bus)

reykjavik (which we have been to before but has such an interesting landscape)

dublin (where we will be going on a private group tour set up by a cruise critic member)

oslo is not included but we were there before and have info on that port....

so good luck whatever you choose and keep on cuise criticing(if there is such a word)

shelley

hi kathy,

i found the album i put together after the cruise, so i'll go through it with you.....

we went on the Royal Princess which has since been taken out of service, but was a wonderful ship!!!

our 2003 cruise was slightly different from yours... we did not include stravanger or spitsbergen

we started in london--came in three days early and took in the sights and it was cruisetime!!!

geiranger--- we took the ship's tour up Mt. Dalsnibba by bus..absolutely breathtaking sights

trondheim---walked on our own and were met on one street by a group of stray reindeer who just meandered down the main street and didn't bother anyone...but boy they were huge!!!...went to the national museum of decorative arts and had lunch in an outdoor cafe called Druen Torvet... and strolled the marketplace ...there are many tours offered by the ship should you choose to go one on

we did not go to spitsbergen

honningsvag---we took the ship's tour to visit the north cape (Nordkapp) (we wore jogging suits which were perfect and scarfs which were not needed)their were wisps of clouds BELOW us..the scenery was super...we sent home postcards to family and friends from Nordkapp..outstanding tour

tromso---we went to the botanical gardens walking distance from the ship..to view flowers native to the area...

others took various tours

flaam, vik---took the ship's tour by train and bus..super tour spectacular scenery...lunch was included

bergen---we chose to walk around the city and found a wonderful garden area, the fish market (very well-known in the area)the town square where musicians were playing norwegian music and just strolled this fascinating city..unfortunately we did not have time for the funicular, but we truly enjoyed our day in bergen

wow!! this turned out to be lenghty, but I hope it was helpful..

let me know if there is anyway else i can be of help!!!!

shelley

Kathy

It is so nice to know that others think so highly of this cruise to be planning so far in advance. We like Princess as well and that would probably be our choice. Lets hope that the choose a beautiful ship to do that itinerary.

Shelly,

I enjoyed your review of the ports. Thanks for copying it down.

Janis

We are planning this for our anniversary for 2007. It is only offered once a year and for 14 days there are only 3 sea days which is a deal. Such a variety of ports and Iceland-Shetlands will be amazing. We can not wait.

We just need to figure out which balcony level we should take!

Well it looks like we already have a little group for '07. It seems so far off but booking time is not. (I just booked a New England cruise for 9/06) I'll post if I hear that '07 is coming up for booking.

Shelley...thanks so much!! I'm just closing my notebook from my June 7th Med/Greek Isle cruise and I'm putting all your wonderful info in my recently started Norwegien Fjords book...yep I'm a bit of an overplanner! I hope to visit London pre-cruise, also.

I hope to have enough miles for air by then so we can splurge on a nice hotel. I'm sure I'll be checking in with you again soon.

Kathy

Dressagegal

You will love the Sapphire! We took it in January to NZ and Australia. I hope that we can find out soon which ship and what dates for 2007. It is not too soon to plan. That is half the fun. July would be the best month but anytime would be perfect.

Kathy, I get folders together, too. Do you have anything you could share with me regarding the Med/Greek Isles? We are planning that for 06 on Celebrity.

Janis

Janis,

I have tons for Med/Greek Isles. I just posted a review a bit back from this thread...it is the June 7th voyage.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=204121

But I have a bit more personal opinions and information written down that I will e-mail to you if you like...just let me know.

You will absolutely love this cruise...I'm ready to go back.

Kathy

The best I can do is to say go to Santorini and the smaller islands if at all possible. My cousins summer there every year and they say the outer lying areas are the nicest. I do know that Windjammer is going to be taking their new ship there in 2 years. I would wait for that cruise to see Greece. Windjammer takes you to the smaller places and you see the real area.

Archived