No-host mini-bar

Duquesmom

Thank you, Ruth. That's what I thought but was hoping for the other.

Well you can certainly dream:D but unfortunately no host means that the only one paying for the drinks is you as Ruth said:D

The "No Host" mini bar consists of (new prices as of Nov 2011):

These are all airline size bottles 1.75 ounces

2 Beefeater Gins - $5.25

1 Johnny Walker Red Label - $5.25

1 Bicardi Rum - $5.25

1 VSOP Courvoisier - $5.25

1 Smirnoff Vodka - $5.25

1 Vendange Chardonnay - 187 ml - $8

1 Vendange Cabernet - 187 ml - $8

1 split Henkell Champagne - $9.50

1 Red Bull - $3.75

1 Bloody Mix - $2.75

2 regular cokes - $1.95

2 diet cokes - $1.95

1 tonic water - $1.95

1 Club soda - $1.95

1 sprite - $1.95

1 Heineken - $5.25

1 Miller Sharps (non alcoholic) - $3.95

1 Miller Lite - $4.75

2 Perrier water - $2.95

2 one liter bottled water - $2.95

On our Maasdam Feb 2012 cruise there were not a lot of choices on the small bottles:

2 Bicardi light rums

1 Beefeater Gin

1 Red Label Johnny Walker

1 Jack Daniels

1 Courvoisier

What's special about a no-host minibar in the suites? Sounds impressive but really not.

All of the staterooms that have a cooler have drinks for sale in the cooler including verandahs and interiors/ocean views on some ships.

Am I missing something?

Yes - you missed the fact that the OP did not know what a "no-host mini-bar" was. The OP noted they were in a Vista Suite on the Ryndam. The OP has 22 posts on CC. Thank you to those who kindly answered her question.

So do they automatically put a no host mini-bar in every cabin?

If so can you have it removed so you can have more room in your fridge?

We are elite on Princess, which is the line we usually sail, and we automatically get a Free Hosted minibar set-up. One of the first things we do when we board is trade out all of the soda pop for Perrier and all of the booze for vodka. I will miss that on HAL, along with the free internet.

At least on our upcoming cruise, we will still be able to bring our own wine on board. :)

If so can you have it removed so you can have more room in your fridge?

We are elite on Princess, which is the line we usually sail, and we automatically get a Free Hosted minibar set-up. One of the first things we do when we board is trade out all of the soda pop for Perrier and all of the booze for vodka. I will miss that on HAL, along with the free internet.

At least on our upcoming cruise, we will still be able to bring our own wine on board. :)

I've never seen a cabin without one, unless you ask the steward to remove the contents. He will gladly remove the contents for you.

Right -- OP has not sailed on HAL (and some other cruise lines) that have a no-host mini bar and was just trying to find out what it is about.

I agree. Welcome aboard to the OP!

My point was more to HAL trying to list the mini bar as a suite "perk" when in reality all cabins that have a cooler have a no-host mini bar. That's all. In the non-suite stateroom descriptions they do not list no-host mini bar as one of the amenities.

They should add the perk to the description for all of the verandah staterooms since regardless of ship they have one. It would be more complicated for them to explain that certain ships do not have a cooler, thus no no-host mini bar, in interior and oceanview staterooms.

A couple of price changes on our recent Westerdam cruise:

Westerdam_Ship_Pictures_021.JPG

On two of our last three HAL cruises a larger amount was charged to our credit card than what appeared on our final cruise ship account. I called Seattle for an explanation of the "mystery charge" and they identified it as a bottle of water from the mini bar. On the last cruise (Veendam, "Voyage Of The Vikings", summer 2013) we were even in the room on disembarkation day when a steward came by to check the mini bar (and everything was there). In both cases I told Seattle that I didn't take/use any water from the mini bar (which I hadn't) and they credited my credit card with the amount.

Just curious: Anyone else get billed for mini bar items that they didn't take/consume?

Just curious: Anyone else get billed for mini bar items that they didn't take/consume?

I'd hesitate to say it happens frequently but it does happen. I think we've only had it happen once and HAL quickly removed the charge. More troublesome was somebody's spa charges showed up on our bill and those were pretty substantial. We noticed those at the end of the cruise while we were still on the ship. Got them removed but it took a bit of work.

No; it depends on the ship.

All the Vista and Signature class ships, as well as the Prinsendam, have a mini-bar in every cabin.

On the S- & R-class ships, there is a cooler in the cabins with a balcony. The inside and outside cabins have a tray with and ice bucket and a variety of cans of soda; there are no little bottles of liquor.

A cooler can be rented.

On two of our last three HAL cruises a larger amount was charged to our credit card than what appeared on our final cruise ship account. I called Seattle for an explanation of the "mystery charge" and they identified it as a bottle of water from the mini bar. On the last cruise (Veendam, "Voyage Of The Vikings", summer 2013) we were even in the room on disembarkation day when a steward came by to check the mini bar (and everything was there). In both cases I told Seattle that I didn't take/use any water from the mini bar (which I hadn't) and they credited my credit card with the amount.

Yes -- a couple of years ago -- can't remember which ship. I always check our shipboard account every couple of days. On day 3 I noticed we had been charged for a bottle of water. We went and told the concierge and I told her that we now had 3 bottles of water. She came and checked and had the price of the water removed. On day 9 -- another bottle appeared -- we now had 4 bottles -- and again we were charged. y now I was taking pictures of the bottles multiplying. The concierge had to contact the person in charge of checking the mini bar -- as it turned out he mixed up cabin numbers as to whom was ordering the extra bottles. Our cabin was 004 and it was cabin 040 who wanted the extra bottles of water. Thankfully we got it straightened out before we left the ship.

Yes. it's happened to me twice, and each time I was there when the steward came in the check before we disembarked. I think it's just human error when they put in their report, and a call to HAL has removed the charge each time. But it's annoying.

Does that mean free? Have a Vista Suite reserved on Ryndam.

Thanks for your help.

Duquesmom

Looks like it took 6-people to answer you question....

Welcome to the boards where you will find lots of good info from a lot of very nice people.

Noticed on the list that KK posted Hal has Tonic.. But in a Sept 2012 thread a poster mentioned that HAL does not have Diet Tonic. Does anyone know if this has changed?

Had been taking Magnesium Oxide for leg cramps however our local pharmacy was out of it & Pharmacist suggested Tonic with Quinine.. Plan to take a couple of Qt. bottles with us on our Ryndam cruise but wonder if I can get Diet Tonic if I run out?

Drinking a glass of Diet Tonic with Quinine every couple of days seems to be working.. Knock Wood..:D

We're booked on a collectors cruise with a day mid cruise in Tampa..Grandkids are coming down for the day to see us & the big ships, so can ask one of them to bring a couple of Qt. bottles with them..(Wish I could bring them aboard, but it's too difficult getting permission)

Thanks..Betty

Noticed on the list that KK posted Hal has Tonic.. But in a Sept 2012 thread a poster mentioned that HAL does not have Diet Tonic. Does anyone know if this has changed?

Had been taking Magnesium Oxide for leg cramps however our local pharmacy was out of it & Pharmacist suggested Tonic with Quinine.. Plan to take a couple of Qt. bottles with us on our Ryndam cruise but wonder if I can get Diet Tonic if I run out?

Drinking a glass of Diet Tonic with Quinine every couple of days seems to be working.. Knock Wood..:D <snip> Thanks..Betty

Betty - Diet Tonic works great for me also! I don't believe I have seen the diet on a HAL ship. May I suggest instead of a couple of Qt. bottles you look for the "little" bottles (8oz?). You can get them by the six-pack I think. I like them because the Tonic doesn't get "stale" like it can when I open a big bottle and then don't use much. I keep one in my car door and one on my bedside stand. When traveling, the little ones are easy to stash in a suitcase or purse or carry-on. Just a suggestion.

Archived