Travelling with teens

lulu_cruising

I'm taking my 18 and almost 15 year old sons next month. I would NEVER consider letting them sit in on the adult only comedy show. It would make ME uncomfortable for sure and when I was on the Dream, there was a kid who looked to be about 16 at the midnight show and that made me squirm when it got really raunchy. Be kind to your fellow pax and just let the kids go somewhere else.

We will be on Carnival Sunshine in December, first time cruiser, and travelling with our 18 year and 15 year old daughters. I'd like to take them to the comedy club and was wondering if there is an age restriction? I saw somewhere that some of the shows are 18+. How closely do they check ID for this? Yes...I know I should just follow the rules...but I'm just curious. Do they scan your sailing card when you go in?

They announce at the beginning that is you are not 18, you need to "get the f*ck out".. ( literally )

but that's it. My teen sat in on ALL the adult comedy shows last week.

I agree that the arcade is very expensive! My kids like spending money for sodas, candy store, and to buy souvenirs in the ports. You can out money on their sign and sail account each day so they don't blow it all at once.

Your kids will love cruising and the Carnival teen clubs are fun.

I have never had any interest in the comedy clubs either the adult shows or the earlier tamer shows. Interesting how many posters here have walked out of these shows.

Interesting also is that these shows exist so the cruise can have another venue to sell drinks which makes sense no issue there but also exist so people can sit around and hear vulgar insulting commentary

I can just imagine how nasty the comedians get. Btw no prude over here just someone who refuses to subject themselves to this sort of public vulgarity

My nineteen year old is not coming with us this trip. However, at age 15, he LIVED with his group in the teen Carnival clubs. On our last cruise, he was 17 and he told us that some of them tried to sneak into the comedy clubs, and some were put out. I believe he might have seen a show, but I don't remember - that was a couple of years ago. My point is - he was happy out on his own. The 12 y.o. is thrilled and ready to be on his own.

When the eldest was out with his group, at age 15, we saw teenagers acting the fool. (To me, being very loud and intimidating to other passengers, sliding down banisters, jumping down steps or running through a crowd and dropping trash qualifies as acting the fool.) Another family from my town happened to be on the cruise, so my son had an acquaintance on board. I would see kids being rowdy and I would look for the two I knew. I would see them far behind the other kids, with the neighbor kid gesticulating frantically that he was being good. My son had lots of freedom and enjoyed it and didn't abuse it. I let him stay out, with no worries. He is still in touch with some of the people he met years ago on the cruise, which is a nice thing. The 12 year old won't have that much freedom.

The comedy club is 18+. I don't know how how strictly they adhere to this, but I highly recommend you don't allow your 15 year old to go. They can be very very explicit. And it seems most of the jokes are sexual in nature. If I were you I wouldn't even be comfortable watching with my 18 year old. The family friendly comedy is still very funny. I recommend that if you're bringing the kids. If you aren't sure you should go with your spouse and check it out before taking the kids.

The Serenity area is 21+. Even though DH is 29 he gets carded all the time. People always think he's underage. No ones every checked his ID in this area. I think the main point of the Serenity area is to be quiet. If your 18 year old is with you and not being rowdy, then I doubt anyone would notice or care that she's there.

Kids will appreciate your restrictions. They may groan about it a bit but when push comes to shove they won't be the one telling some authority figure one day "they (my parents) always let me" when they get in trouble for something.

Some of the adult comedy is beyond raunchy at times. Happy Cole comes to mind, he's funny but really, really dirty. I wouldn't want my teens listening to that! They get enough garbage from things that are harder to restrict.

There are plenty of things on the ships for good, not questionable, fun! Stick to the family comedy.

Archived