Venice hotel

Cruisevirgin1965

We will be disembarking from our cruise in Venice next July 2014. We will be coming off the NCL Spirit. We will be spending one night in Venice and then flying home the next day. My issue is transportation. We are a group of 7. My DH will be just a few months post a hip replacement and cannot walk a very long distance and my mom is in a wheelchair. It is a collapsible wheelchair but she has limited mobility once out of it (a few steps with one of us to help with balance, a step or two if there are 2 railings).

I am not sure how she will handle water taxis, and I'm not sure how far my DH will be able to comfortably walk. This will also be an issue if we have all our luggage with us. Argh, I getting a bit stressed about it all.

Basically I need some advice about the best transportation, and a good, accessible hotel. I am not so concerned about price because her comfort and ease is definitely my priority. I also want to have all this planned and booked in advance as she doesn't do well if it isn't.

Thanks in advance.

My husband uses a wheelchair and there was no way for him to get into a water taxi. They all required walking down steps, with no handrails, and then a steep step into the boat.

What you can do is take a vaporetto. Those are the large water boats that are ramped and can easily accommodate wheelchairs. But, be careful of the hotel. Many of the older hotels are not accessible, and you must make sure that the hotel you choose can be accessed from the vaporetto stop without having to cross one of their many bridges. Most bridges are stairs with no ramps for wheelchairs.

hotel Santa Chiara in P Roma has a small elevator and there are no stairs to contend with getting to the hotel from P Roma which is the last part where cars can go

Getting there from the ship is the issue

The people mover monorail has an elevator and transfers from cruise port to P Roma

however it can be quite a hike from where the ship docks to the station and may be long queues.

ideally a taxi from ship to P Roma but may not be easily available as not a cost effective journey for them.I am trying to find a pre bookable taxi service but not having much luck so far

google Europe for visitors for the Venice guide or accessible Venice for more help

I highly second the recommendation for the Santa Chiara Hotel for a stay pre or post cruise for anyone with mobility problems. We stayed there two years ago following our 19 day odessy through Europe by land and cruise which ended in Venice. It was very convenient to the pier, 5 min by taxi. The hotel is located right at the beginning of the Grand Canal, within a half block of 2 vaparetto stops where you can roll right on and off. It is the first and last stops on the line so you can make the full circle of the grand canal, being assured of a spot for your chair as soon as you get on. The hotel has a wonderful breakfasy room on the ground floor where you can watch Venice walk up and go to work , watch all the boats on the Grand Canal and pedestraian traffic over the bridge. There is a small bar on thge ground floor on the other side of the lobby where you cab get a drink or cappucino when you return from sightseeing. The breakfast was included in our pkg. You should book online, I think we did iy on their Facebook site, for the best price. They do have a snall elevator. You will ride separately from your bags, but all is good. It id old world decor. The taxi pulls to the side of the hotel and either the driver or someone in your party can get the porter to come and get your bags. They will call you a cab or their own limo to go back to the airport. There are several eateries within wqalking distance. There are quite a few restaurants within steps of other vaparetto stops which are on level ground. St Marks square is easy to navigate from the Vaparetto, as are all the stores around if you dont mind pushing over the cobblestones.

My husband is always in a wheelchair and there are many watertaxis in Venice which are accessible.They have blue signs with a wheelchair and they have lifter coming up , you can roll on and then the lifter goes down into the boat.

Archived