Seasoned Cruisers -- Make a suggestion to a NEW cruiser !!

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from 8 days on Indy....it was great, even though the weather did not cooperate as much as I would have liked.....but you can't control that at all.

Anyway.....as we sat in the WJ some mornings for breakfast, we invited people to join us. We usually found one of the tables by the window, that has 'almost attached to it' another table for two. So I would say to some one clearly looking for a table -- "If you only need two seats, these are available". You would be amazed at the look on their faces.....but then they happily sit down, and we engage in some light conversation.

It is fun and friendly!

Remember seasoned cruisers what it was like on your FIRST cruise. If you are eating breakfast or lunch in the MDR and sharing a table with other cruisers....be careful of what you say.....the other person may be very new to cruising and not have the same perspective as you do.

I was having breakfast in the MDR recently on Indy with a couple who hadn't cruised on Royal in 7-8 years....all they could do was compare what they could 'remember' from the past to what they were experiencing in the present.

It wasn't a very enjoyable breakfast for us....and no matter how we tried to change the conversation to another topic.....they only wanted to 'return to their issues'.

I almost wanted to say "Please take your luggage off at the next port, if you are having such a terrible time" and believe me, their issues were small (in my view, of course).

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a suggestion for seasoned cruisers, as well as newbie's -- do something on board or on an excursion you have never done before.

Over many of our cruises, we have been to the night time pool parties, dancing under the stars and always said "Why don't we go swimming or in the hot tub at night?" yet never did....until our recent cruise on Indy.

In the hot tub overlooking the ocean on the evening of Day 5; of course we had to squeeze it in between showtime and Karaoke.....but we did -- and enjoyed it with some friends.

• 3 weeks later...

To unconnect, I love to get on "Island Time" We go to Hawaii some and it always feels so relaxed. Almost like people are not looking at their watch, relax enjoy life you can get back to the rat race next week :)

To unconnect, I love to get on "Island Time" We go to Hawaii some and it always feels so relaxed. Almost like people are not looking at their watch, relax enjoy life you can get back to the rat race next week :)

The concept of 'unconnect' -- is very important.....but yet too many people want to still be connected while on their cruise. Only using the 30 minutes of internet time is fine....I can check for any emergency at home, without continually being connected as if I was at home.

It works for me....no need for the Internet Packages for this cruiser.

It makes it a great vacation.

Best way to meet people is to sign up for a Meet & Mingle. I've found we really become acquainted as we're talking prior to the cruise and then we will meet in person at the M&M. Great fun.

Also, smiling helps a lot. I'm naturally chatty so I do meet a lot of people. Most of all, RELAX...leave all your day to day worries at home. You're on a cruise!!!

• 2 months later...

I never thought I would book a cruise on a ship that isn't even sailing yet. But DH and I did just that, when we booked Harmony for February 2017. It was 627 days prior to the sail date....and we never plan that far ahead.

So to new cruisers....NEVER say you can't imagine yourself doing something or enjoying something to do on a ship....just try it.

• 8 months later...

With all the negativity that has been in posts lately, I thought maybe this old thread should come up to the top for some much needed suggestions to 'new and OLD cruisers' alike.

My suggestion -- keep your sense of humor with you -- whether dealing with lines or rude fellow passengers or unforeseen things that can and will happen.