Seasoned Cruisers -- Make a suggestion to a NEW cruiser !!

We are doing a lot more pre-cruise planning for our upcoming Allure cruise on June 29, that we have ever done before.

I have to remember what I would tell a first time cruiser, you can't expect to fit in everything that these big ships have....leave some things for another time.

I would encourage a new cruiser to remember that there is no "correct" way to cruise. We all have our opinions about what is the best way to approach cruising. Lanyards vs purses, snorkel masks fitted at a dive shop vs. Costco specials, rum runners vs. all inclusive drink packages, suit vs. coat and tie in the dining room... you get the point. Ultimately, you know what is best for you and your cruising party. It is about having fun, connecting, and experiencing the sea and it's wonders on an incredible ship. :)

WOW, nice post. I am going on my very first cruise in December and will take everyones suggestions, (minus the rum runners, LOL) and hopefully put it to good use. I am new to cruising but have followed CC since we booked over 250 days ago, and I already met a ton of nice people and even got to meet a very nice couple in person, who live about 5 hours away from me. I became pretty active on our roll call and decided to run a slot pull with 40 people signed up so far, and a cabin crawl with over 50 people. Great folks helping me along. Its so exciting and I plan on doing as much as I can possibly to. Tomorrow isn't promised, so make the most of today. Thank You everyone for your wondersul suggestions. :)

Speak of WOW, you have been here since 2012, and now you are experiencing your first cruise? I'm in awe........:)

To top it off, you have followed other members that have formed both a slot pull and a cabin crawl....and yet you have never experienced either one.

Well.......you are AMAZING!! My hat is off to you, to jump in and make things happen. I bet in your home life, while others are saying "why something cannot work".......you are making it work!!

It's people like you...that have a love of life, and hopefully cruising, why I love Cruise Critic!

Thank you so much for sharing!!

Rick

And there you are, Rick, embodying the welcoming, congenial, experienced cruiser I have come to know and respect.

You make everyone feel valued and special, whether a shy first timer gazing around in awe, a gregarious and loquacious social butterfly making the rounds, or a seasoned veteran with dozens of cruises under their belt who's seen it all and done it all.

Thanks for making us all feel special and invited to "your" party! :-) how lovely of you to notice and comment on this first-time cruiser's real "get out there" spirit.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I would encourage a new cruiser to remember that there is no "correct" way to cruise.

I mostly agree with this statement.

However, don't act like an entitled or uncontrollably drunk idiot and at least be considerate of those around you. It's not your ship. :cool:

I mostly agree with this statement.

However, don't act like an entitled or uncontrollably drunk idiot and at least be considerate of those around you. It's not your ship. :cool:

Wait -- it IS my ship (LOL)....yet I STILL agree, I nor anyone else should have that ''entitlement" attitude....and uncontrollably drunk idiots, are not a welcome sight on MY SHIP.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! That is what we have been doing for over 20 years and even more so the last 10 since we found CC. Glad to see you have seen the light:D

Found CC to be one of the more friendly ways to meet fellow cruisers and to develop a little rapport with them prior to the cruise.

• 1 month later...

As the summer cruise season is upon us, and I plan for my 15th cruise.....one thing I would tell new cruisers....is be OPEN to having a different type of fun.

Don't compare a cruise vacation BEFORE you have taken it, to all the land based vacations you have gone on......it is different, in more ways than just being on the ocean.....be open minded and take it all in and ENJOY!

Maybe don't take the advice or "rules" from fellow cruise critic posters so seriously. Phones, walkie talkies, attire, necessity for certain kinds of rooms, etc. I agree with the above poster. Getting advice is good but learn to take some with a grain of salt. Cruise critic posters surely make up a tiny percentage of actual people on a ship. I have recived some great advice as well and I have also taken some too seriously. And, yeah.....just be polite and courteous of others. Great lesson for kids also.

Debbie

Sent from my Iphone 7

Edited by debbs0723

TOTALLY agree with the comments about how FRIENDLY cruisers are. It's a really great thing about cruising.

Also with the advice to cruise YOUR way. I have cruised with different people - my own children when they were young, my adult children, a female friend, a significant other. All those cruises have been different because the experience is impacted by your cruise companion. But all of them were GREAT, just DIFFERENT.

Embark with your mind wide open to the experience - no expectations. I recently cruised with a first time cruiser and he was pleasantly surprised about a number of things he expected not to really like. He was shocked that - except for major events - the ship was NEVER crowded. We played mini-golf, shuffleboard, used the self-leveling pool tables, explored the ship...we rarely saw more than a handful of people. He was also amazed at how BIG the ship was (it was a Radiance Class ship!) and how much there was to do. He loved that there was a wide variety of activities to choose from in port. He worried that it would be nothing but going to the beach every day.

TOTALLY agree with the comments about how FRIENDLY cruisers are. It's a really great thing about cruising.

Be a FRIENDLY cruiser....don't wait for someone to be friendly to you....if you start the cycle....it will be snowball. Yes, every so often I bump into a 'negative nellie'.....I just say to myself, 'Gee, I am glad that I am not part of their family and have to spend holidays with them'.

Enjoy your next cruise....make it the best time in your life!

Be a FRIENDLY cruiser....don't wait for someone to be friendly to you....if you start the cycle....it will be snowball. Yes, every so often I bump into a 'negative nellie'.....I just say to myself, 'Gee, I am glad that I am not part of their family and have to spend holidays with them'.

Enjoy your next cruise....make it the best time in your life!

Great thread. I would say for international travel, always be flexible, often you have no control over unforeseen events. And always be prepared to have to spend extra $'s. Never pay for a cab with large bills , they never have change

Edited by setsail

The one thing we always do is have them put us at a big table in the dining room even when there is only the two of us. We LOVE getting to know our table mates and looking back on each trip and the different friends we've made.

The one thing we always do is have them put us at a big table in the dining room even when there is only the two of us. We LOVE getting to know our table mates and looking back on each trip and the different friends we've made.

We do the same thing....and love looking forward to meeting new people. If you are at a table of 8 or 10, even if there is a couple of people who are not the best 'tablemates' there are others to engage with....love it.

Glad to see others do it as well.

Thanks, OP, for a breath of fresh air! So nice to read a thoroughly pleasant, non-snarky thread.

Great suggestions all around, especially the ones that say don't try to overplan every minute. Some of our greatest times have been completely spontaneous.

That said, one piece of advice for going ashore: stick the compass somewhere in your purse, pocket or hubby's backpack. We came literally within seconds of not making it back to the ship on time in Guadaloupe. We are D+ on RCI and I'd consider us experienced travelers, and have NEVER been even remotely late getting back, but through a combination of truly ridiculous circumstances we were almost stranded, with no passports, no port authority information, no euros, and only one of us (me!) able to speak French. If we hadn't gotten back we would have been forced to try to meet the ship at the next port of call, and having the port authority info would have been essential. Now, it makes a great story over drinks, but at the time it was terrifying!

Thanks, OP, for a breath of fresh air! So nice to read a thoroughly pleasant, non-snarky thread.

Great suggestions all around, especially the ones that say don't try to overplan every minute. Some of our greatest times have been completely spontaneous.

That said, one piece of advice for going ashore: stick the compass somewhere in your purse, pocket or hubby's backpack. We came literally within seconds of not making it back to the ship on time in Guadaloupe. We are D+ on RCI and I'd consider us experienced travelers, and have NEVER been even remotely late getting back, but through a combination of truly ridiculous circumstances we were almost stranded, with no passports, no port authority information, no euros, and only one of us (me!) able to speak French. If we hadn't gotten back we would have been forced to try to meet the ship at the next port of call, and having the port authority info would have been essential. Now, it makes a great story over drinks, but at the time it was terrifying!

I can recognize that your situation at the time, was terrifying....and glad now it can make a great story over drinks, or anytime.

As the OP, I am glad you see this post as a breath of fresh air. I too, like fun and interesting topics that leave behind the nastiness or the air of entitlement.

If all goes well DH and I will be on Allure in a few weeks.....and looking forward to another enjoyable Royal adventure. I am sure we will meet delightful fellow cruisers, have enjoyable food and entertainment, stay up later than we do at home, and come back needing a vacation -- oh that is my definition of a wonderful cruise!

When we are in the WJ and people are running nabout trying to decide what they want and might meet me in the middle of a food booth and appologise, I stop and smile and say NP, I am in no rush and wait. Now I will get a tiny bit annoyed when several come rebounding into the elevator as I am attempting to exit, but quietly go on my way. Life is to short to worry about little things in life and my day will not be affected in the least. DH & I are quick to strike up a conversation at anytime with anybody.:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic! That is what we have been doing for over 20 years and even more so the last 10 since we found CC. Glad to see you have seen the light:D

Wow a 8 month old thread.

In case you see this. Hi Wallie and wife!

jc

Life is to short to worry about little things in life and my day will not be affected in the least. DH & I are quick to strike up a conversation at anytime with anybody.:)

Sooner or later everyone learns how true your sentiment is......and I wholeheartedly agree.

I stop to talk with everyone, almost anywhere....how can a polite 'hello' hurt -- it can't....but it might brighten up the other persons day and yours at the same time!

• 1 month later...

As you and your hubby, DH and I are fairly seasoned cruisers, having just completed our 15th cruise on Allure.

From that experience I would suggest to ALL cruisers when they go ashore for even a short excursion to take some cash with you.

We were on Allure several weeks ago, for an excursion that we expected would bring us directly back to the ship at its' conclusion. When we signed up for the excursion, no mention was made in the marketing material that we would have to pay for a taxi back to the ship.

Imagine our shock when we are meeting to leave the ship early in the morning to hear instructions that we will be returned after our excursion to the downtown area and need to get a cab back to the ship, for approximately $8. We did not take our wallets with us. Did not think we had enough time to go up to our cabin on Deck 11. It happens that in my beach bag, I have always kept some cash for incidentals that might come up (small snack items)....thank goodness that $20 was in my beach bag that we were taking on our excursion to carry our towels.

So remember, ALWAYS take some cash.