Seasoned Cruisers -- Make a suggestion to a NEW cruiser !!

My husband and I have been on 13 cruises and our 14th is over Thanksgiving weekend 2013. We are Royal Loyalists.

What I would suggest is this -- make it your business in the first hour to meet someone you did not know before you arrived on the ship. If you came with friends, meet a new friend. If you are traveling alone or simply with your significant other/spouse/friend.....meet someone new in the first hour.

Standing on line, start to say "Hello" to people. Get into the 'friendly mode'. I ask people if they have been on this ship before....anything to open a conversation.

You will see plenty of the same people on board over the cruise. You will find that the things you enjoy, other people enjoy....say hello.

We go to the pool after lunch at WJ, and it is the easiest place to meet someone...who also is refreshing themselves in the afternoon after their trip from home to the ship....ask where are you from? or how was your trip to the ship?

Get into the Mingle Mode....you will have more fun with your new friends! Remember the best thing about it, is that these friends may only be friends for your cruise....or you will meet someone who will become a good friend....either way, you will have a better time on board the ship.

Paulette3028

Welcome to Cruise Critic! That is what we have been doing for over 20 years and even more so the last 10 since we found CC. Glad to see you have seen the light:D

The reason I started this thread was because of a chat with a friend who has cruised but not as often as my husband and I have. So I thought I would share how we MAKE SURE our cruise starts off in the right way...then everything moves along wonderfully.

What would you tell other cruisers so they have a GREAT time on board!

Bring twice the amount of money you think you will need, and half the amount of clothes.

Oh .... and smuggle some of your liquor on board ... Rum Runner flasks in your checked bag .. that'll take SOME of the sting outta the bar bill!

(and yes, I know the cheerleaders on here are gonna crucify me for that last one!).

The reason I started this thread was because of a chat with a friend who has cruised but not as often as my husband and I have. So I thought I would share how we MAKE SURE our cruise starts off in the right way...then everything moves along wonderfully.

What would you tell other cruisers so they have a GREAT time on board!

We tell all the first timers we meet to relax, and not try to do so much. Save some for the next time:D

Excellent ideas. This is something that we have done with the kids. We have them go to AO on the first night to meet others to socialize with for the rest of the cruise.

If its good for the kids through AO, then it is good for the adults.....just have to use available venues to do it.

Bring twice the amount of money you think you will need, and half the amount of clothes.

Oh .... and smuggle some of your liquor on board ... Rum Runner flasks in your checked bag .. that'll take SOME of the sting outta the bar bill!

(and yes, I know the cheerleaders on here are gonna crucify me for that last one!).

Agree completely with your first point...Not going to "crucify" you but not great advice to give a first time RCI cruiser...The possible "excursion" to the "naughty room" may leave them a bit shaken if not stirred ;):D

I always tell friends to go with an open mind and go with the flow attitude. Don't try to plan every minute of the day. Most of all disconnect from the world it is so freeing to not have cell phones, lap tops, Ipads and just relax and enjoy.

It is surprising how many people have a hard time unplugging for a few days.

I always tell friends to go with an open mind and go with the flow attitude. Don't try to plan every minute of the day. Most of all disconnect from the world it is so freeing to not have cell phones, lap tops, Ipads and just relax and enjoy.

Great advice. Just got back from our first cruise and it was liberating not to have to carry an iPhone, wallet and keys. Just my SeaPass card and a little cash.

My husband and I have been on 13 cruises and our 14th is over Thanksgiving weekend 2013. We are Royal Loyalists.

What I would suggest is this -- make it your business in the first hour to meet someone you did not know before you arrived on the ship. If you came with friends, meet a new friend. If you are traveling alone or simply with your significant other/spouse/friend.....meet someone new in the first hour.

Standing on line, start to say "Hello" to people. Get into the 'friendly mode'. I ask people if they have been on this ship before....anything to open a conversation.

You will see plenty of the same people on board over the cruise. You will find that the things you enjoy, other people enjoy....say hello.

We go to the pool after lunch at WJ, and it is the easiest place to meet someone...who also is refreshing themselves in the afternoon after their trip from home to the ship....ask where are you from? or how was your trip to the ship?

Get into the Mingle Mode....you will have more fun with your new friends! Remember the best thing about it, is that these friends may only be friends for your cruise....or you will meet someone who will become a good friend....either way, you will have a better time on board the ship.

Paulette3028

You know what's funny. We just completed our first cruise a few weeks ago, and one of the things that struck my wife and I was how nice and friendly everyone was. We met several couples, some with children our son's age, and some without, and it was SO nice to have someone else besides ourselves to talk with. And you are right, you do run into people a lot during the cruise, and in some ways, you actually look forward to it. Between the two of us, we have travelled all across the world, and we could not ever remember a similar experience. It just made a wonderful and relaxing vacation that much better. :)

WOW, nice post. I am going on my very first cruise in December and will take everyones suggestions, (minus the rum runners, LOL) and hopefully put it to good use. I am new to cruising but have followed CC since we booked over 250 days ago, and I already met a ton of nice people and even got to meet a very nice couple in person, who live about 5 hours away from me. I became pretty active on our roll call and decided to run a slot pull with 40 people signed up so far, and a cabin crawl with over 50 people. Great folks helping me along. Its so exciting and I plan on doing as much as I can possibly to. Tomorrow isn't promised, so make the most of today. Thank You everyone for your wondersul suggestions. :)

Nicely put! I've met plenty of people on a cruise, but I can't say I've actively made it a goal.

• 5 months later...
WOW, nice post. I am going on my very first cruise in December and will take everyones suggestions, (minus the rum runners, LOL) and hopefully put it to good use. I am new to cruising but have followed CC since we booked over 250 days ago, and I already met a ton of nice people and even got to meet a very nice couple in person, who live about 5 hours away from me. I became pretty active on our roll call and decided to run a slot pull with 40 people signed up so far, and a cabin crawl with over 50 people. Great folks helping me along. Its so exciting and I plan on doing as much as I can possibly to. Tomorrow isn't promised, so make the most of today. Thank You everyone for your wondersul suggestions. :)

So, how was your first cruise? Have you booked your next cruise?

That's the main reason we cruise. I internet for a living (can one use "internet" as a verb?), and cruising is the only way I can successfully disconnect from those demands.

I do bring my tablet along in case I feel like reading a book, but on our last cruise I never took it out of my backpack.

If you want a conversation starter though, do what my wife does and where a unique pair of shoes. She was getting at least 5 compliments an hour on our last cruise, and we ended up talking to many, many people because of that.

That's the main reason we cruise. I internet for a living (can one use "internet" as a verb?), and cruising is the only way I can successfully disconnect from those demands.

I do bring my tablet along in case I feel like reading a book, but on our last cruise I never took it out of my backpack.

If you want a conversation starter though, do what my wife does and where a unique pair of shoes. She was getting at least 5 compliments an hour on our last cruise, and we ended up talking to many, many people because of that.

The concept of 'disconnecting or being unplugged' our family understands well....tonight my husbands office called 2 times and that is the norm....so the best (often only) way to make sure of no business on vacation is to be 'unplugged and disconnected' as only a cruise ship can enable.

His tablet on vacation is his e-book and that is just fine.

You will know me, if you come across me on your next cruise, I will be the person who asks you "where are you from'....it is my personal conversation starter. It never lets me down.....everyone like to tell others where they are from.

Anyone cruising on Allure's June 29th sailing?

Great advice! I've also found that sharing a tabs at the windjammer for lunch is a great way to chat with new people.

That brought back wonderful memories of my DF thinking he spotted my DM sat at the table as he spotted from behind what he thought was her haircut. Needless to say he sat down chatting away only to spot me walk past and then looked at the woman and realized it wasn't my mother at all!!!

One way to meet and mingle:D

That brought back wonderful memories of my DF thinking he spotted my DM sat at the table as he spotted from behind what he thought was her haircut. Needless to say he sat down chatting away only to spot me walk past and then looked at the woman and realized it wasn't my mother at all!!!

One way to meet and mingle:D

It would have been real scary if the woman he was talking to, answered him 'appropriately', for the monologue he was trying to deliver....LOL.

• 2 weeks later...