Seasoned Cruisers -- Make a suggestion to a NEW cruiser !!

Go in expecting that not everything will be perfect, there will always be some bumps in the road. Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy.

To continue this thought, go expecting that you will have a terrific time. There may be things you don't enjoy as much as other things on the cruise, but like any other type of trip you have never gone on (or even if you have cruised before) be OPEN to enjoying new things and trying new things.

I like to feel as if I am cruising for the very first time, each time I step onto a ship. It is a new adventure -- new people and new things to do.

• 2 weeks later...

The first cruise you go on, you may be going with friends who have cruised much more than you, or meet people on board, who have cruised quite a bit.

Remember, that everything they say, comes from their own experiences (which is fine) but those experiences don't have to be yours.

If they had a bad experience doing something, try it anyway, if you feel you may like it....judge for yourself.

Experienced cruises.....help new cruisers by telling them what you did, and how you enjoyed it or not, but also add, that they may have a different experience.

Go and ENJOY!

• 1 month later...
When we are in the WJ and people are running nabout trying to decide what they want and might meet me in the middle of a food booth and appologise, I stop and smile and say NP, I am in no rush and wait. Now I will get a tiny bit annoyed when several come rebounding into the elevator as I am attempting to exit, but quietly go on my way. Life is to short to worry about little things in life and my day will not be affected in the least. DH & I are quick to strike up a conversation at anytime with anybody.:)

Very true.......I do wonder where the 'elevator courtesy guidebook' went -- not just on cruises but everywhere.

• 2 months later...

I just had a wonderful cruise on Her Majesty of the Seas, and knowing that many cruisers are so WOWed by the big ships, I thought I would remind new cruisers, that 'Bigger is not always better'. I love the big ships, but a very delightful cruise can be had, on a ship, that doesn't have every activity.

Her Majesty doesn't have a solarium or the flowrider....but what a great time she gives her passengers....kudos to the staff!

I thought of something today as DH and I were talking about what we expect will be our last cruise on Her Majesty, before she is retired from the fleet.

For the new cruiser, everything will be a 'new adventure' - so enjoy and don't try to do everything possible, because you will be disappointed. For the long time cruiser, TRY to find some new wrinkle that you can enjoy on every cruise you take.

Remember that every ship doesn't have every feature that you see in the VOW to WOW commercials you see.

Understand what is and what isn't on the ship you are cruising to have a better expectation of what you will see and have to do. Inaccurate expectations lead to disappointment.

A GREAT cruise can be had on EVERY ship.

Edited by Paulette3028

Go in expecting that not everything will be perfect, there will always be some bumps in the road. Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy.

Good advice, cruise is a great vacation but it will not be perfect, fun meeting people from all over the world, we had 2 trivia partners from Holland and half our age, we were a great team and won it most nights.

mesh folding laundry baskets are wonderful.

Before our last cruise I went out to buy large bag clips -- the kind that you would use to clip closed a large bag of chips. I took a label and wrote on it, "Back in a little while" -- I use these clips to clip my towel onto the lounge chair at poolside. If I need to go to the bathroom or to get something to eat....it is there and no one disturbs anything....easy to read. It is not as if, I left the towels and have no expectation of returning. Now that you are not being charged for the towels, who knows if people will just think the 'pool towel fairy' will pick up after them.

• 2 weeks later...
I have never heard of the 'Balcony Club' -- please explain.

The prior poster was having a little fun with you. I would suggest googling "balcony club" to get your answer.

To your original post - I would suggest not trying to do everything listed in your daily newsletter (the Cruise Compass).

Get to know a few of the staff - they work hard and enjoy interaction with passengers.

If you haven't cruise before get yourself some Dramamine (available at your local pharmacy over the counter). Take before the sailaway. Some people have trouble with movement on the ship.

Pack less clothes and more money. You'll never wear everything you bring.

Most excursions sold on the ship can be arranged privately in advance or when you arrive in port. It's often cheaper too.

These are just a few suggestions. Some of the fun is finding out what cruising is all about on your own. Good luck & happy cruising.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 4 weeks later...
Get to know a few of the staff - they work hard and enjoy interaction with passengers.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Absolutely true -- one way to get to meet some of your fellow cruisers is through participating in the Roll Call for the cruise you will be sailing on. It can also give you some ideas for excursions.

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestion is READ. Read everything you can lay hands on. There are a couple of good (and inexpensive) books on amazon, and it'll make your vacation seem that much closer.

And when you get onboard, read, so as not to miss anything! I'm always amazed at how little info people travel with.

We were in Cittavecchia last autumn, and got to talking to other passengers as the ship docked.

"So, what do you plan to do today?"

"Oh, I dunno...what is there to do here in Rome, anyway?"

They didn't even know the ship docked over an hour from Rome! All we could do was shake our heads as we went to meet the private tour we arranged months in advance. Want to bet who enjoyed the day more?

I have also met passengers who did not know they could order room service, and some who griped because the ticket prices for the nightly shows were not plainly posted. One guy complained about one-and-only restaurant---on Day Four, he had only located the grill by the pool!

Seriously, read all about it!

I've seen some unhappy/frustrated/impatient people waiting to board the ship. We know the ship is going to be there and that food will be waiting on us in the WJ so we don't sweat it. Heck, we're just happy to be getting back on the ship. When you are sitting at a table with extra seats in the WJ and you see people trying to find a place to sit, invite them to sit with you. Nice way to meet people. Same in the other venues if there is a crowd. Don't try saving a row of seats at the shows or a row of loungers by the pool. Be mindful of the tight schedule of your room stewards and keep your cabin tidy. We always keep our things put away. Have you passed the cabins with everything piled to the ceiling? Imagine the room steward having to vacuum around that.

Ask your waiter what he recommends for dinner. We've never gone wrong taking our waiters advice, and we've tried things we probably wouldn't have chosen and loved it. Keep an envelope with small bills for room service tips in a handy spot. Smile and thank the stewards, waiters, bartenders, assistants, guest service personnel and everyone trying to make your cruise a special adventure.

My suggestion is READ. Read everything you can lay hands on. There are a couple of good (and inexpensive) books on amazon, and it'll make your vacation seem that much closer.

And when you get onboard, read, so as not to miss anything! I'm always amazed at how little info people travel with.

We were in Cittavecchia last autumn, and got to talking to other passengers as the ship docked.

"So, what do you plan to do today?"

"Oh, I dunno...what is there to do here in Rome, anyway?"

They didn't even know the ship docked over an hour from Rome! All we could do was shake our heads as we went to meet the private tour we arranged months in advance. Want to bet who enjoyed the day more?

I have also met passengers who did not know they could order room service, and some who griped because the ticket prices for the nightly shows were not plainly posted. One guy complained about one-and-only restaurant---on Day Four, he had only located the grill by the pool!

Seriously, read all about it!

It is important to read 'all about it', and then 'plan for it'. The vacation planning doesn't end when you actually book the vacation (the airfare, cruise etc). Now is the time to start planning what you will do in the port cities and it does take reading to figure that out, and then make the arrangements to do what you feel you will enjoy.

As much as the cruise line can entertain you on board, there is lots the cruiser needs to plan -- or it can be a disappointment afterwards.

Edited by Paulette3028

Doing my pre-cruise research is half the fun for me.

On our last cruise on Brilliance, third night, my daughter and I were seated at a table for two. There was another couple seated at the table for two next to ours (you know how close those are!) and we started chatting. They were also from Chicago, and told me that they had just learned THAT DAY about the MDR! They'd eaten dinner the first two nights in the Windjammer, because they thought that was MTD!! It wasn't until she was out exploring the ship that she found the dining room, and asked someone working there about it.

It was their first cruise, and she asked us if there were any beaches in Cozumel within walking distance of the port. Her husband has a disability and wouldn't be getting off the ship. We told her we were going to Nachi Cocom, explained making reservations online, etc., and she asked that if she could get a reservation could she join us? We exchanged room numbers, and later that evening we got a call from her. She had gone online and was able to get in! We met at the elevators, shared a cab ride, and we had the most wonderful beach day. It turned out we're the exact same age and had much in common.

Since returning home, we've exchanged emails/pictures of our day, and will most likely be getting together for lunch in the city someday. Some things are meant to be.

Don't think that participating in what sounds like silly games on board is 'for other people to do'. Jump into the music trivia, or logo trivia or any other game that is going on in a lounge. Get out of the sun for a few minutes on a sea day and exchange some 'sure to happen laughs' with other cruisers and staff.

Don't think that participating in what sounds like silly games on board is 'for other people to do'. Jump into the music trivia, or logo trivia or any other game that is going on in a lounge. Get out of the sun for a few minutes on a sea day and exchange some 'sure to happen laughs' with other cruisers and staff.

Have they ever changed the logos in logo trivia. Everybody who wins has obviously played before. Including me. :o

Have they ever changed the logos in logo trivia. Everybody who wins has obviously played before. Including me. :o

I don't know -- we played it for the first time when we cruised on Her Majesty over Thanksgiving....it was too windy to enjoy the pool deck. I will let you know when we cruise on Indy in 'less than two weeks' -- if we play. Chances are, I won't remember them anyway, but my DH would.

I don't know -- we played it for the first time when we cruised on Her Majesty over Thanksgiving....it was too windy to enjoy the pool deck. I will let you know when we cruise on Indy in 'less than two weeks' -- if we play. Chances are, I won't remember them anyway, but my DH would.

How close to perfect did the winning team come on Majesty? Winning team usually scores almost perfect. BTW, that game has been around for at least 3 years.

How close to perfect did the winning team come on Majesty? Winning team usually scores almost perfect. BTW, that game has been around for at least 3 years.

I think they missed 3 altogether.

BTW, I'm the DH referenced.