Experienced cruiser but new to Princess

dude_hdt

My family have been on several cruises as you can see from my signature below. We've mainly gone with Carnival mainly as a convenience as we're only 30 miles from door to Port of Galveston and they are the only year round operator. Princess (and NCL) is now about to start cruising from an even closer port (Houston Bayport)...15 miles away!!! We'll be on the Thanksgiving cruise next month with Caribbean Princess with their 3rd sailing out of that new port.

I'm familiar with how things work on CCL but don't have any idea what to expect with Princess so please help me prepare with some questions.

1. I've read on here that cabins are ready right away when you board. Is this only true if you arrive at the recommended time? What if you arrive before and board earlier? My documents say 12:00pm. Port of Galveston usually starts boarding at 11am so I'm usually get dropped of at 10:30am and minimize waiting time.

2. Besides the Italian, steakhouse, and premium coffee shops, are there other dining/snack places that has extra costs? International Cafe? Vines Bar?

3. Post dinner cappuccino in MDR costs extra? CCL started charging for this last year :(

4. Any costs to use the gym, sauna, shower? Seems like some companies are beginning to nickle-and-dime customers.

5. I see that 1 bottle (750ml) of wine per adult with carry on bag. Any restriction of carry on soft drinks?

6. Any restriction on electrical extension cords? I've got sleep apnea so need to plug in my machine. Room layout doesn't always allow me to stretch the standard cord from the wall plug at the cabin desk to the head of the bed.

I'm sure I've got more questions but those are off the top of my head for now.

Thanks in advance!!

My family have been on several cruises as you can see from my signature below. We've mainly gone with Carnival mainly as a convenience as we're only 30 miles from door to Port of Galveston and they are the only year round operator. Princess (and NCL) is now about to start cruising from an even closer port (Houston Bayport)...15 miles away!!! We'll be on the Thanksgiving cruise next month with Caribbean Princess with their 3rd sailing out of that new port.

I'm familiar with how things work on CCL but don't have any idea what to expect with Princess so please help me prepare with some questions.

1. I've read on here that cabins are ready right away when you board. Is this only true if you arrive at the recommended time? What if you arrive before and board earlier? My documents say 12:00pm. Port of Galveston usually starts boarding at 11am so I'm usually get dropped of at 10:30am and minimize waiting time. I don't think they allow anyone on board till cabins are ready. We always show up around 11 and in the cabin around noon. Never had the cabin not ready.

2. Besides the Italian, steakhouse, and premium coffee shops, are there other dining/snack places that has extra costs? International Cafe? Vines Bar? Int. Café charges for gelato - $1.50 for 3 scoops. Room Service charges $3 to deliver pizza. (But you can pick it up and carry to your cabin.) Vines food is free with purchase of wine.

3. Post dinner cappuccino in MDR costs extra? CCL started charging for this last year :(I think so, but you can buy a coffee card. A punch card for specialty coffees and unlimited good brewed with the card.

4. Any costs to use the gym, sauna, shower? Seems like some companies are beginning to nickle-and-dime customers. No

5. I see that 1 bottle (750ml) of wine per adult with carry on bag. Any restriction of carry on soft drinks? no limit..

6. Any restriction on electrical extension cords? I've got sleep apnea so need to plug in my machine. Room layout doesn't always allow me to stretch the standard cord from the wall plug at the cabin desk to the head of the bed. Don't know but many in the same situation will respond.

I'm sure I've got more questions but those are off the top of my head for now.

Thanks in advance!!

My answers are in red above. Hope that helps.

[quote name='

1. I've read on here that cabins are ready right away when you board. Is this only true if you arrive at the recommended time? What if you arrive before and board earlier? My documents say 12:00pm. Port of Galveston usually starts boarding at 11am so I'm usually get dropped of at 10:30am and minimize waiting time. Arrive as you always do. You will be checked in and guided to a waiting area. Around noon boarding will start with priority boarders first' date=' then general boarding.[/color'] Go directly to your cabin, drop your carry on, place your valuables into the safe, and set out to dine, explore, or lounge around. There will be a Princess Patter in your cabin with dining times and other information for boarding day. One DR should be open for lunch from noon to 1:30. Other free places to dine are the Int'l Cafe on Deck 5 (a favorite of ours), The Trident Grill, Prego Pizza, Horizon Ct./Cafe Carib all on the Lido deck.

2. Besides the Italian, steakhouse, and premium coffee shops, are there other dining/snack places that has extra costs? International Cafe? Free open 24 hours (except gelato) Vines Bar Free sushi and tapas, but only if you purchase a glass of wine or other drink. Special coffee drinks are available at the Int'l Cafe. A coffee card, $31, is available which includes punches for 15 specialty coffee/espresso drinks plus unlimited brewed coffee, premium teas, hot cocoa, for the cruise. Unused punches can be saved for a future cruise.

3. Post dinner cappuccino in MDR costs extra? Yes, pay by the cup or use the coffee card. :(

4. Any costs to use the gym, No, but some group sessions like Spinning have a charge. Free Zumba is available, most likely held in Club Fusion and very well attended. Watch the Princess Patter for times and locations. sauna, shower No charge, sauna and steam room is available next to the Lap Pool on deck 16

5. I see that 1 bottle (750ml) of wine per adult with carry on bag. Any restriction of carry on soft drinks? Not yet. Suggest you review the passage contract on your cruise personalizer.

6. Any restriction on electrical extension cords? I've got sleep apnea so need to plug in my machine. Room layout doesn't always allow me to stretch the standard cord from the wall plug at the cabin desk to the head of the bed. For this use bring what you require. Suggest a fused plug in strip.

I'm sure I've got more questions but those are off the top of my head for now. Muster Drill Info. Princess musters indoors in the lounges on deck 7 and not on the open decks. Your muster station is shown on your life jacket and on the inside of your cabin door, stairway guides will also direct you. Carry, don't wear, your life jacket to your muster station. You will be instructed during the drill to put it on. Arrive 5 to 10 mins early to get a seat.

Thanks in advance!!

See above

Thanks for the answers, especially the dining options. It will be nice to drop off carry on luggage and explore the ship. Carnival doesn't promise room until 1pm unless you're platinum or pay extra.

Maybe the older Carnival ships had muster drill outdoors but the newer ones are indoors. They also don't require lugging the life vest to the drill either.

We will enjoy the upscale part. My family always dress up on formal night. Carnival is not that bad at it. Maybe 5% wear shorts or jeans on formal nights. Half will be in business suits or jackets. The rest will be in slacks and shirts. We always use the dress up opportunity to take family portrait for Xmas card that year.

While I'm sad that I'm only a few cruises away from Carnival platinum, it'll be neat to try Princess and Norwegian. Just hope they find the market profitable enough to stay year round.

Archived