Help with choosing a DSLR

hockeyguru32

Even if you don't count three dozen or so Minolta lenses and all the third-party lenses Justin mentioned that work fine on the A mount, it's closer to 30 including several Zeiss optics which hardly qualify as "diminished".

Dave

Sony user have choices:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?chbLensType=3

249 zoom lenses

104 primes

38 macros

391 lenses that are A-mounts which work on Sony dslrs.

For the new dslr buyer, the question should be how many long zooms lenses are available for less than $100?

And that is becoming a hot topic on photo message boards. The lack of a new sensor from Canon. They see Nikon rolling out new ones and are wondering why they don't get a new one . (For the record I a Nikon user and "we" have our people whining about the D600/D610 so the non stop bi%#€ing is on all sides.)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

I really believe that all the moaning we get from canikon fanboys is just mere chest thumping in the 'which brand is better' debate. I have yet to see a photo where I can point to it and say definitively...that photo is bad because it was using a 5 year old sensor! This is especially true in the age of digital where almost anything can be adjusted in post.

The original statement that I respectfully disagreed with suggested that 2 year old technology is not worth considering. I was contending that since nothing significant in dslr technology has changed in the past 5 or so years, buying a slightly older/used entry level camera is a very good option, especially if they want to pair an older body with better glass. Considering that the OP was looking at both the T3 and the D3100, I would guess that he/she is looking more at just dipping a toe into the DSLR game to test the waters without expending a great fortune. If this is the case, why not buy older/used?

As far as which brand to buy, my advice....when I was considering my purchase, I was taking into account my history of selecting the off brand, hoping that they would be as good as the name brands. My prior selections included the likes of Intellivision, BetaMax, HD-DVD, Minidisc, and WebOS. All of which, I consider, technologies as good, if not better, than the more popular options. I was left with gear that became abandoned and unsupported. After WebOS failed, I vowed to learn my lesson and stick with the market leaders, if anything to get more value for my money. When selecting a camera, I looked into the history and the support (both company and user base) and felt that neither Canon nor Nikon are going away any time soon and that my investment in either of these companies will be a lasting one. I went with Canon because at the time, because the T2i was the best entry level camera on the market at my price point. My choice was justified in my mind when I discovered the Magic Lantern project...I don't believe that any of the 'off brands' would have the user support to drive such a wonderful project.

Anyway, good luck in choosing! Its a good time to jump into the DSLR world. There are many choices out there and you really cant go wrong with whatever you choose!

Edited by ikirumata

I really believe that all the moaning we get from canikon fanboys is just mere chest thumping in the 'which brand is better' debate. I have yet to see a photo where I can point to it and say definitively...that photo is bad because it was using a 5 year old sensor! This is especially true in the age of digital where almost anything can be adjusted in post.

The original statement that I respectfully disagreed with suggested that 2 year old technology is not worth considering. I was contending that since nothing significant in dslr technology has changed in the past 5 or so years, buying a slightly older/used entry level camera is a very good option, especially if they want to pair an older body with better glass. Considering that the OP was looking at both the T3 and the D3100, I would guess that he/she is looking more at just dipping a toe into the DSLR game to test the waters without expending a great fortune. If this is the case, why not buy older/used?

As far as which brand to buy, my advice....when I was considering my purchase, I was taking into account my history of selecting the off brand, hoping that they would be as good as the name brands. My prior selections included the likes of Intellivision, BetaMax, HD-DVD, Minidisc, and WebOS. All of which, I consider, technologies as good, if not better, than the more popular options. I was left with gear that became abandoned and unsupported. After WebOS failed, I vowed to learn my lesson and stick with the market leaders, if anything to get more value for my money. When selecting a camera, I looked into the history and the support (both company and user base) and felt that neither Canon nor Nikon are going away any time soon and that my investment in either of these companies will be a lasting one. I went with Canon because at the time, because the T2i was the best entry level camera on the market at my price point. My choice was justified in my mind when I discovered the Magic Lantern project...I don't believe that any of the 'off brands' would have the user support to drive such a wonderful project.

Anyway, good luck in choosing! Its a good time to jump into the DSLR world. There are many choices out there and you really cant go wrong with whatever you choose!

Very well put I would like to stick to a Canon or Nikon because they are the "Big Dawgs" (sony had bad experience because of not using same technologies in other electronic equipment I have bought. I feel they like to be on their own and you must buy from them kind of like Apple) I liked my SX120 from Canon it was easy to use to ok pictures and easy to d/l the pictures but I couldnt get as close up to things as I wanted hence my search for a DSLR.

I saw the T3 bundle for sale for $449 Canadian (came with 32mb card tripod and body and lens) as well as a D3100 with the same option bundle for the same price and that is what started my DSLR options which is better in case I do go forward and buy more lenses and other options for the camera.

I have not purchased anything as of yet I may wait until Christmas when they would hopefully go on sale again. The thought of buying a better used DSLR (T3i or T2i) might do the trick as well.

Edited by hockeyguru32

Couldn't agree more. "Which brand is better" is moot to most people when they are all good.

Amen!

Dave

The primary gain from the new sensors (Nikon and Sony) are greatly improved high ISO capability.

There's also a lot to be gained from user interface improvements in newer models, as well as general gains in "responsiveness". We owned three different 2007-vintage Canon 10mp cameras (still have two but one is about to go on the chopping block), two 2010-vintage Canon cameras, and now two "current" Canons. We've also rented at least three other Canons, and within any given "level", the newer cameras are more responsive, which makes using them more fun and tends to improve the results.

I was looking to upgrade to a DSLR last fall and it sounds like your camera/photography experience was about the same as mine... I was all set to purchase the cameras that you have been looking at but when I went to the store I was introduced to a cannon SX50. It was described to me as a hybrid between a point and shoot and DSLR. I have been more than pleased with the pictures and videos that I have been taking. Close ups, distances has a 50x zoom and my favorite is the sports burst. I have great action shots of my DD playing her various sports! Might be an option for you to look at for your needs. Oh and the battery lasts very long. I dont think that I needed to charge it during our last cruise and I took around 500 photos (ok I forgot to take the burst off a few times...).

What are your thoughts on a Nikon D5000?

All Nikon DSLR are good. D5000 and D7000 share the same sensor but D5000 does not have build in motor and will not auto focus on some old lenses. It will focus on AF-S lenses only. The camera is several years old and D5200 is the latest. If you buy new you have warranty and if you buy now you can enjoy it now. Why wait til Christmas to save on already low prices the amount that would not buy you even meal in McDonalds. Enjoy it now.

All Nikon DSLR are good. D5000 and D7000 share the same sensor but D5000 does not have build in motor and will not auto focus on some old lenses. It will focus on AF-S lenses only. The camera is several years old and D5200 is the latest. If you buy new you have warranty and if you buy now you can enjoy it now. Why wait til Christmas to save on already low prices the amount that would not buy you even meal in McDonalds. Enjoy it now.

Actually the D5300 is the "latest and greatest" ;). Besides 5300 is greater than 5200 so it must be more better. ;)

For you average snap shot, vacation post, or even photographic focused web site I tend to agree any camera from any of the manufactures with their wide or limited set of modern or maybe even your old film lense mounted will look more than fine.

There is a reason most wedding photographers, sports photographers and serious performance oriented photographers choose Canikon.

I can tell you the differece between my shots with D300 to D700 to D3s you could tell them part, less so for the D4s. I also can tell you that shoting a D600 or D800 and lifting the shadows continues to amaze me what electronics can do, but again moore's law is a amazing thing, but we are close dimenshing returns as the smartphones meet 98% of all our needs. Thus again the small guys will shrink to even smaller and more limited offerings, thus you in it for the long term ( 10 years ) want new bodies, better software etc... there really is no decision to make

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings

You may want to consider the Sony NEX cameras. DSLR sensor in a compact body (same size sensor as the D3100 and a little larger than the T3's). I have carried an SLR and more recently a DSLR for years but have now migrated almost all of my shooting to the NEX cameras. They are a traveller's friend with the weight limits for carry-ons being enforced more and more often.

Here are a couple of reviews I did when I got mine:

http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/nex5.html

http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/nex7.html

I now have a NEX 3n that replaced the 5. It sells for around $400-$450 with the compact 16-50 zoom. I bought mine for $625 in a bundle along with the 55-210 zoom.

Sony also just introduced the A3000 which looks more like a tiny DSLR but retains the small size ans sub-$450 pricing with an 18-55 kit lens.

Here's a link to our recent Caribbean cruise that was my first all-NEX/no DSLR trip: http://galleries.pptphoto.com/reflection2013

Dave

The quick and dirty on DSLR vs Mirrorless: A DSLR has a mirror inside of it, that reflects the view out of the lens up to an optical viewfinder...it needs the mirror to be able to have that optical, real-time view. The mirror flips up out of the way every time you press the shutter to take the photo. Sony switched their DSLRs over to a new hybrid, still involving a mirror, but a semitransparent one - it doesn't flip up when you shoot because you can see through it - rather than an optical viewfinder, these cameras have an electronic viewfinder (just like a P&S LCD) showing you an electronic view straight off the sensor. The mirror is there to bounce the view to the focus sensors.

Mirrorless cameras are just like DSLRs - big sensors (in some cases, the exact same sensors as most DSLRs, such as in the Sony NEX, Canon EOSM, or Samsung NX), and interchangeable lenses. But they got rid of the mirror altogether, and the large space between lens and sensor that the mirror required. They all have electronic views either by LCD or an electronic viewfinder, they all focus directly from the sensor, and they all have a very small registration distance between the lens and the sensor. They tend to be significantly smaller and lighter than DSLRs since the bodies can be so much thinner, but still have much the same advanced functionality, same sensors, and can change lenses.

DSLRs still have some advantages currently in overall focus speed for very fast moving subjects, in larger battery capacity and life and much larger buffers for continuous shooting without hitting memory card limits, and can track a moving subject much more effectively. Mirrorless cameras have advantages in being smaller and lighter, and in being adaptable to any camera mount ever made by any manufacturer, via simple adapter rings...due to the extremely short registration distance in their mounts. In other words, if a Nikon lens needs to be 46.5mm from the sensor, or Canon EOS lens needs to be 44mm from the sensor - with a mirrorless camera like the Sony NEX for example, the distance from sensor to lens is only 18mm...so to mount a Nikon lens on the NEX body, you just need a metal spacer that fills in the difference of 28.5mm...or for Canon EOS, a spacer that fills in 26mm, so that the lens sits the right distance from the sensor. It is a unique advantage of the mirrorless cameras because their mounts are significantly closer to the sensor compared to any DSLR or Rangefinder lens mount, past or present.

When it comes to image quality, a DSLR and an APS-C mirrorless camera are identical, since they use the exact same sensor...it's up to the lens you use or the photographer's skill. A mirrorless camera will probably suit most average shooters' needs just fine - many folks who shoot with DSLRs don't actually NEED a DSLR - especially now that there's a way to get the bigger sensor without the larger, more advanced body. People who shoot action sports, expedition-style wildlife shooting, rapid-fire burst shooting, etc. will still be better off with a DSLR, but for the average vacation shooter, casual shooter, landscape shooter, etc a mirrorless camera would be just as capable.

BTW, I shoot with both a DSLR and a mirrorless - I love them both. The DSLR is really only needed for some specialty shooting that I do, like birding/wildlife, sports, and some special events...the mirrorless can do the other 80% of my shooting just as well.

I've been reading all your experiences with the NEX cameras (and others' experiences too!) and last night I pulled the plug on a used (one month old/in box) NEX 6 with the 16-50 kit lens for what I thought was a very good price. I also purchased a Sigma 30mm 2.8, and I will play with the camera and those two lenses for a while. Ultimately, my goal is to also purchase the 55-210 telephoto, and use the NEX kit as both a backup for lightening my load for travel as well as possibly replacing my Point and Shoot.

For part 1, leaving some heavy stuff home, I will still probably take my camera body with the 15-85 lens and an ultrawide (10-22) lens, but the big, heavy, conspicuous, white 70-200 L will stay home most of the time and I'll use the NEX instead for any long telephoto shots.

I'm not sure if part 2 -- ditching the P&S is reasonable, but even though it's a good camera (Canon S95) I just can't stand not having a viewfinder. I don't mind that the NEX with the 16-50 is a little bigger, it's still small and reasonably inconspicuous.

I'll let you know when the camera gets here and I start testing it out!:) All your experiences were very helpful in pulling the trigger.

Edited by Cindy

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, and I why I chose my d7000 over the Canon is I had twice as many friends with Nikons as others. In fact, for my cruise next week, I'm able to borrow a very nice 24-70 f2.8 lens that would have cost me $150 to rent.

I purchased my first DSLR a few years ago, a D3000 but quickly grew out of it (mainly because of video and bracketing) so I upgraded to a D7000 which I love. Autofocus when videoing (because the mirror is up) is frustrating, but I bought a viewfinder and do manual focus only in video mode. Bottom line is its a couple years old now and I have very little inclination to upgrade. I just should have bought it first rather than the lower end entry camera.

Keep in mind, though that a DSLR is more flexible, but also requires a greater understanding of your equipment to use effectively.

I started out using a Minolta 7000 SLR camera years ago. Upgraded to a newer SLR camera, then when the Minolta DSLR came out, bought it.

Then the Alpha 100, and my current is the Alpha 55

I have 7 lens of different types including the incredible 500mm f8 mirror lens that is not longer produced which I purchased on eBay for an incredible price.

I also have three flashes for the DSLRs (the Sony allows wireless multiple flash capability which I have used for fixed photography)

The camera does everything I want it to, and takes incredible pictures. In fact I was amazed that with a new firmware upgrade, they actually added capabilities to the camera using software.

My daughter has gotten into close-up photography, so I purchased a 50mm macro lens which she uses all the time.

Unless you are working professionally, you really do not need more than two-three lenses anyways. A good 50 mm, a couple of shorter range zooms, and a long range zoom for regular use.

To me "fan boys" of camera brands follow the "my system has more lens than your system" mentality. I fail to see the logic in that.

I've been reading all your experiences with the NEX cameras (and others' experiences too!) and last night I pulled the plug on a used (one month old/in box) NEX 6 with the 16-50 kit lens for what I thought was a very good price. I also purchased a Sigma 30mm 2.8, and I will play with the camera and those two lenses for a while. Ultimately, my goal is to also purchase the 55-210 telephoto, and use the NEX kit as both a backup for lightening my load for travel as well as possibly replacing my Point and Shoot.

For part 1, leaving some heavy stuff home, I will still probably take my camera body with the 15-85 lens and an ultrawide (10-22) lens, but the big, heavy, conspicuous, white 70-200 L will stay home most of the time and I'll use the NEX instead for any long telephoto shots.

I'm not sure if part 2 -- ditching the P&S is reasonable, but even though it's a good camera (Canon S95) I just can't stand not having a viewfinder. I don't mind that the NEX with the 16-50 is a little bigger, it's still small and reasonably inconspicuous.

I'll let you know when the camera gets here and I start testing it out!:) All your experiences were very helpful in pulling the trigger.

I still carry my good ol' HX5V P&S but the shot count is down to near zero. The NEX has won me over big time!

You may want to look at one of these:

http://www.prostrap.com/OnePointGrip/OnePointGrip.html

And this for when you need free hands:

http://www.amazon.com/BlackRapid-RS10SC-1AO-Metro-Camera-Strap-Black/dp/B009TL1YMY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383254587&sr=8-2&keywords=blackrapid+compact

Between the Pro Strap and the BlackRapid Metro I can carry my NEX almost as unobstrusively and the P&S.

Enjoy your camera. That's what it's all about, isn't it? :)

Dave

Edited by pierces

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, and I why I chose my d7000 over the Canon is I had twice as many friends with Nikons as others. In fact, for my cruise next week, I'm able to borrow a very nice 24-70 f2.8 lens that would have cost me $150 to rent.

I purchased my first DSLR a few years ago, a D3000 but quickly grew out of it (mainly because of video and bracketing) so I upgraded to a D7000 which I love. Autofocus when videoing (because the mirror is up) is frustrating, but I bought a viewfinder and do manual focus only in video mode. Bottom line is its a couple years old now and I have very little inclination to upgrade. I just should have bought it first rather than the lower end entry camera.

Keep in mind, though that a DSLR is more flexible, but also requires a greater understanding of your equipment to use effectively.

Now that is a friend. Not sure I would lend out a $1800 lens but you have some good friends. :)

Even if you don't count three dozen or so Minolta lenses and all the third-party lenses Justin mentioned that work fine on the A mount, it's closer to 30 including several Zeiss optics which hardly qualify as "diminished". Having 70 lenses to choose from is wonderful. For example the Sony line only has one 85mm f/1.4. I f I needed three different 85mm lenses with different maximum apertures, I would have to switch brands...but if I needed a stabilized one, I'd have to stay with Sony.

Actually, Sony A-mount has 2-3 85mm lenses.... but putting that aside...

At least part of the reason for less lens availability is the in-body stabilzation.

For example --- Tamron makes a well respected 17-50 2.8 lens, for every mount.

For Canon and Nikon -- They make 2 versions, with image stabilization and without stabilization.

For Sony -- just the 1, non-stabilized version. Since the camera provides the stabilization.

So in this case, CanNikon have "twice" as many lenses -- but only because it is being sold with/without IS.

I'd challenge anybody to find a lens type that can't realistically be found for Sony/Pentax. Sure, may need to look at 3rd party lenses and/or older used lenses. But there really is no type of lens that you can't find. I have every basic prime covered -- 35/50/85/135... I have macro, I have ultra-wide zoom, regular 2.8 zoom, telephoto zoom... All for the Sony mount. And all effectively image stabilized.

For people with nothing invested in any DSLR brand , unless Sony, Olympus, Pentax etc. offer something unique that you are looking for that isn't offered in Canikon,

Perhaps out of necessity, Sony/Olympus/Pentax do offer several distinct advantages over CaNikon.

CaNikon make some great cameras, no doubt. But as they have the advantage of being able to sit on their laurels, the rivals really push the envelope.

I mostly know Sony: Some advantages: Smallest lightest cheapest fullframe mirrorless (the A7/A7r). A full lineup of mirrorless APS-C cameras (the NEX line). And in terms of dSLR-- They use dSLT technology, giving the best continuous autofocus on video and burst shooting. Giving the best "live view" compared to the rivals. Plus in-body stabilization.

Pentax -- In-body stabilization, and almost all their bodies are weather sealed. So get Nikon image quality, but add in weather sealing and in-body stabilization for about the same price.

Olympus -- The leader in compact mirrorless cameras with their 4/3 mount.

If I was a professional shooter, I'd stick to CaNikon -- Because then the added support and lens availability can be truly important. But even for a serious amateur, they are doing a disservice to themselves if they don't look carefully at the other brands.

I settled on the D5000 got it for $150.00 and I bought the AF-S 18-55mm VR lens and the AF-S VR 55-200mm, Now how to learn this new technology?

Any Help on setting to use for a beginner?

Digital-photography-school.com

Learn about the relationships between shutter speed, apeture and ISO. Also read up on the 1/3 or 2/3 rule.

Awesome deal! You will have fun!