My review:Carnival Dream with an 8 mth old and group of 17. The good, bad, and ugly.

Mybearsbaby

Hey all! We just got home Sunday Morning from our Eastern Caribbean cruise onboard the Carnival Dream last week. This cruise was full of both ups and downs. I was actually a little disappointed in some areas of Carnival's overall performance this time, and I will explain more in depth in my review...that said, it in no way ruined my vacation. I will still sail Carnival in the future, and any day on vacation beats a day cleaning house haha! It also had some really fun parts and in spite of any problems that arose, we had a blast! I am a firm believer that a person's attitude about situations have a huge impact on their overall experience. Here is a little background on us before I start my review:

The players:

Our group consisted of 17 people, ranging in age from 8 months (my son), to mid-70's. We all go to church together, and a good bit of us are related. There was myself, age 27, my DH, and our 8 month old son, my Mom, Dad, Step dad, 2 sisters (21 and 13), a friend of the family, two deacons from the church and their wives, our song leader and his wife, and two older women who also go to church with us. (They are both widows, and hang out together all the time. They are so funny and we love them. One of them is known to flirt with the fellas...last cruise she kept flirting with the waiter, who was maybe 30 at most lol! :D ).

DH and I have cruised 9 times, (7 with Carnival and two with RCCL), most of the rest of our group had cruised with Carnival a few times, one of our party had cruised Princess, and we also had 4 cruise newbies :)

This review may take me a while to finish, so please bear with me. I took a LOT of pictures and am trying to sort through them to upload some for you all.

We started our vacation on Thursday night...we drove 12 hours overnight (bad idea!!!:eek:;)) to get to Port Canaveral, Florida. We got to our hotel that I had pre arranged for in Cocoa Beach, Florida.

We stayed at LaQuinta Inn Cocoa Beach. They had a Park-and-Cruise Package that worked out great for us. I really like LaQunita, and have had great experiences with them in different places in the past. They were very sweet and most helpful in organizing our group. We got a great group rate that came out to be around $118 per room and included shuttle passes, parking, and Bright Side Breakfast!! The hotel was very clean, well run, and easy to find. They also had a great little Thai restaurant onsite. We tried some yummy Pineapple Duck!

Some pics of the building and the room:

Edited by Mybearsbaby

Baby E and I on the trip down:

IMG_89145513397638.jpeg

After checking into the hotel, my hubby took a very long afternoon nap while I went to the local Walmart to get a few last minute items. When I got back, several of us decided to go to TGI Friday's. The food was pretty good. I had a Reuben and Hubby had the steak. Baby E had some mashed potatoes. After supper it was off to bed! I plugged my phone in, so I thought, and set an alarm for 6am.

DAY 2: Boarding Day!!

I awoke to a knocking on my door at 7:30am. My Dad was concerned because everyone else was already at breakfast. My phone hadn't charged...either the wall plug was faulty, or it didn't get plugged in all the way. Oh well...no biggie! We got dressed and made our way to the breakfast room. They had a pretty good variety of foods. Waffles, eggs, link sausage, yogurt, juice, bagels and breads, etc...

After eating, I got everything settled with the bill, then got all our luggage out of the room and awaited our 9:45am shuttle.

Our shuttle arrived, but with one problem: we, nor our luggage, would all fit in the one shuttle bus and pull behind trailer. We packed it to the ceiling...haha! I had called before and told them that we had a lot of bags and people and was assured that it would all fit, and that they dealt with large groups all the time with lots of luggage, but alas, they had yet to meet us :D!

They got another van to follow us over and carry a few of our group along with some others from the hotel that were headed for the terminal.

My sister and some of our massive amounts of luggage:

IMG_89181376526301.jpeg

We got to the cruise terminal, tipped our porter, and headed towards check in. We overpacked...like a lot...for the baby.

This was our first time cruising with a child, so even though DH and I had become quite good at cruise packing, this threw us for a loop and we basically were learning all over, this time for a family. We loved having our little man with us this trip, and would definitely do it again.

Upon entering the terminal, we showed our boarding pass and went through security. We had to go through a baggage search because we had liquid baby formula and a 12 pack of sodas that showed up on the scan. No biggie though. They searched us, then said we were good to go. There was a lot of commotion on either side of us though, as coolers were getting confiscated left and right-not for having alcohol, but for being too big! The couple beside us kept repeating over and over that they had cruised before with the same cooler with no problem. It was only like an inch too big if I heard right. They were beyond furious!

Our friend, Mitchell who was traveling with us had his confiscated as well. It was quite a bit too big. They tried to take my mom's too because of like 1/2 an inch, but somehow she got to keep it. not sure how. I think ours must have been exactly the right size, because they didn't say anything to us at all.

We then proceeded to get our sail and sign cards. Check in was super easy. We were given a zone card and went to sit to wait for our boarding zone to be called. I think we were zone 17.

Some of our crew waiting to board:

IMG_0406.jpg

Things moved fairly quick and after a wedding party, Diamond and Platinum, and FTTF guests, regular zones were called. We didn't wait very long at all, and by 11ish, 11:30 max, we were onboard.

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

My DH being superdad, and pushing both strollers. (Yes, we brought two strollers. It actually worked out great, because we folded up the big one and stored it in the closet while onboard and used the small umbrella stroller, then in 3 of the ports used the big jogging stroller off the ship to maneuver all different terrain.:

IMG_0413.jpg

A few of our crew: Sorry about the quality of this one. Mom bought the picture and I tried to snap a shot of it to put in my review, and it didn't work so well.:

cf4f32ca-6a3c-417b-a0bb-93b9e0622b51.jpg

All aboard!!

IMG_0419.jpg

My wife and I are headed out on the Dream in less than a month. Doing the Western Caribbean, though. I love the Eastern and looking forward to hearing about your trip.

DW and I sailed Dream 2 years ago. Looking forward to your review.

I tried to multi-quote all the replies so far so I could respond to each of you individually, but it wouldn't let me, so I just wanted to say thank you all! I love cruising and sharing my experience with others. I have read many good reviews on here from others that have given me wonderful tips, and hopefully I can repay the favor! To those of you that are about to cruise: have a great time!!

Looking forward to your review … DH and I just booked the Eastern run on Carnival Dream and can't hardly wait to get to the Caribbean!

Your adventures and photos will help ease this time of waiting! :)

FYI Robin - There is an active roll call for "our" dream cruise in January!

Gary & Debbie

Once onboard, we took a second to take in the grandeur of the atrium. That is one thing I love about cruising...that first glimpse at the beautiful artistry that goes into the atrium. This one did not disappoint. It was grand, magnificent and colorful.

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

We then made our way to Lido to do what we do best: eat! :D

I had heard that the first day is the best for the Pasta Bar, so that is where I went. For those of you who don't know, it is up the staircase that is behind the dessert buffet area in the back of The Gathering. You can also get there by going to the elevators nearest the aft pool and going to 11. You are given a card and fill out what kind of pasta you want, and what you want in it. It was very good! My only critique would be that it needed slightly more seasoning, but that is a personal preference.

After eating, our rooms were ready, and seeing as how we had a LOT of carry on stuff, we went to unload. We originally booked an inside cabin on Deck 7, but 2 weeks or so until sailing decided to upgrade to a cove balcony on Deck 2. We were cabin 2412. It is the second farthest back of what is considered "Midship" on the Port side of the ship.

The cabin itself was about the same as we have come to expect from a cruise cabin. It had a comfy couch, small coffee table, bed (ahh I missed that comforter. I think I want one for Christmas!), bathroom, mini-fridge filled with bar items, safe, 3 closets, etc...

IMG_0455.jpg

This was our first balcony stateroom on Carnival, our other two were on RCCL. In the past on Carnival, we have done Interiors, Oceanviews and one Obstructed view with the door that opens.(Carnival Legend. That was such a neat room!)

The balcony was so cool!! Being that close to the water was an awesome treat for me! It would lend some amazing views throughout the week. That gorgeous view did come with a price though...the Galley was directly above, and there was clanging and banging through the night. I would still book one again though, maybe just see if I can get one not under the Galley.

View from Mom's Cove (2441):

IMG_0539.jpg

DH and baby E on our cove:

IMG_0555.jpg

Thank you for the review.... What time did your group actually arrive at the pier to begin the process of checking in ?

It was between 10:15- 10:30 am I think. It took us probably right at or a little less than an hour to get through the terminal and on the ship. :) Hope this helps. I forgot to look at my watch when we actually got off the shuttle.

While in the cabin, we met our room steward, Michael. He was very polite, and right away we liked him. We asked if he would remove the bar items from our fridge so we could use it for our baby's formula and such, and he said it would be no problem. We left the room, and when we returned, the items were all removed.

My mother, however, asked to have hers removed, and was told by her room steward that he couldn't remove them. None of us drink, and Mom called either room services or guest services, not sure which, and after a long back-and-forth, they agreed to remove it after Mom said it was against her religion. She also had to get maintenance to fix the fridge because it wasn't cold. They fixed it and she was able to put her sodas inside.

After checking out the cabins, we explored the ship a little. My 13 year old sister wanted to check out Circle C, so we went to have a look. I was wearing flip-flops that have a metal starfish design on the top. I somehow stepped out of my flip flop, and stepped on the starfish, stabbing through my foot. It hurt like mess, and I started bleeding, so we had to go get the first aid kit. Needless to say, I changed shoes too ;)

After the shoe mishap, we headed to our Muster Station in the Scarlet Dining Room. Elijah got his bracelet. I asked if it could be put on his ankle, and was told that they aren't allowed to do that. Oh well...wrist it was. No biggie! (As predicted though, it didn't make it through the second night, and he had managed to get it off his wrist lol).

At the conclusion of the Muster Drill, we went to lido, then to Deck 12, then to the front on decks 11 and 9 to view sail away from different vantage points. It was so pretty! I was able to zoom in with my camera and get pictures of NASA. I thought I saw a rocket in the distance and kept trying to zoom in and get a picture of it. One of our deacons, John, asked what I was looking at, and when I told him, he started laughing and told me to take a good look at that "Rocket"...it was not a rocket, but a tall building beside a lighthouse lol!

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

Father and Son:

IMG_0500.jpg

Me and my sweet pea!

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

There was myself, age 27, my DH, and our 8 month old son, my Mom, Dad, Step dad, 2 sisters (21 and 13), a friend of the family, two deacons from the church and their wives, our song leader and his wife, and two older women who also go to church with us.

:D And a partridge in a pear tree! :D

There was a lot of commotion on either side of us though, as coolers were getting confiscated left and right-not for having alcohol, but for being too big! The couple beside us kept repeating over and over that they had cruised before with the same cooler with no problem. It was only like an inch too big if I heard right. They were beyond furious!

Our friend, Mitchell who was traveling with us had his confiscated as well. It was quite a bit too big. They tried to take my mom's too because of like 1/2 an inch, but somehow she got to keep it. not sure how. I think ours must have been exactly the right size, because they didn't say anything to us at all.

Why did everybody bring coolers? To keep soda cool from the bus to the room?

After Sail Away, it was time to get ready for Dinner and the Welcome Aboard Show. By this time, all of our checked luggage had made it back to us. I had requested a crib a few weeks prior, but it still wasn't in the cabin, so I asked Michael. He had no knowledge of my request, but luckily was able to get us one. He took great care of the crib all week, making sure the linens were fresh every night.

We had Late Dining (8:15). We usually love late dining, but have learned a valuable lesson: late dining + infants=sleepy baby.

I love the whole Dining experience on cruises, and it is usually one of the highlights of our trip. However, Dinner service was the worst this time of any cruise we have ever been on, on either line. This was probably my biggest gripe about the whole trip. I am really not sure why it was so bad, but I do know that our head waitress, Tina, seemed to have to pick up the slack for her two helpers. She was very sweet after I got to know her. The first two nights she didn't talk much at all, she just seemed stressed out. I watched as her helpers often forgot to give menus, didn't refill drinks, and just plain didn't act like they cared.

It was so not the typical experience we have come to expect from Carnival's employees. It was even in the small details.

Usually in the past, we have been so spoiled. They met us with big smiles, pulled out our chair for us, put our napkins in our lap for us, remembered our names and what we wanted to drink, made sure our silverware was exactly where it was supposed to be, and even remembered our favorite dessert if we got it often, and would bring it without us requesting.

On this cruise, we were lucky to get a menu without requesting it. Several nights, half of us would get a menu and a piece of bread, while the rest of us waited for 20-30 minutes and finally asked. This happened more than once. It was also common for them to never refill our drinks unless we asked. I know that this is not Carnival fleet-wide. It had to have been a fluke, or just these particular two assistants.

I am a glass-half-full kind of girl though, so we made the best of it...hey, after all, we weren't having to cook or wash dinner dishes ;)

The food was for the most part good, as usual, and I was so happy to get my first Warm Chocolate Melting Cake as well as some tasty Crème Brulee!! (I don't think I spelled that right, but YUM!!!)

On the way out of Dinner we met the waiter for the table next to ours, Nino. He was making napkin designs and showed us several. It was really neat! He made a bunny, mouse, swan, and some others and gave them to my sister to keep. Even though he wasn't our waiter, he made a special effort to speak to us every night. Another reason I think that we just got a bad team. I am certain that if we would have had different people, our experience would have been better.

We did go to the Welcome Aboard Show, and it hasn't really changed in the last few years. I did really LOVE Fun Force!!! (FYI: Fun Force is a team of Break-Dancing, Acrobatic performers, in this case, 4 guys.) They were amazing, and I was very impressed. They were all very talented. Probably the most talented Fun Force Team I have seen on any sailing!

Upon returning to our stateroom, we were greeted by a cute towel elephant. We got little man to bed, went on the balcony for a few minutes, and laid down to sleep.

IMG_0574.jpg

P1000044.jpg

P1000042.jpg

The Galley noises were pretty intense for a while, but then died down. We all slept very well. Overall, our first day was fun, and exciting, and we were looking forward to a fun week ahead!

That is all for tonight...I will try to post more as soon as I can. Hopefully tomorrow!