Can I check a Swiss Army knife onto the ship?

psurunner

Taking our first cruise and wondering if a swiss army knife will be confiscated if I send it onboard with my checked bags.

The corkscrew may come in handy for a bottle of vino.

You room steward will open or provide a corkscrew for any wine you are wishing to open in your cabin. :)

Under Prohibited Items..

Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise

Taking our first cruise and wondering if a swiss army knife will be confiscated if I send it onboard with my checked bags.

The corkscrew may come in handy for a bottle of vino.

Take it. I've had a SAK aboard many cruises with no problem. Heck you can carry it in your pocket, no need to check it. BUT it would need to be in a checked bag if flying (but everyone already knows that!).

I took a Swiss Army knife last month on Carnival. I had it in my pocket and asked the security person if it was okay. I was prepared to run back to the car and put it there if he wouldn't let me take it on. He said it was fine and to have a great cruise.

I took a Swiss Army knife last month on Carnival. I had it in my pocket and asked the security person if it was okay. I was prepared to run back to the car and put it there if he wouldn't let me take it on. He said it was fine and to have a great cruise.

Thanks for the info, I'll just put it in my pocket and sail away.

I pack a small Coleman multi-tool in my carry-on thru pier security here in NYC and not a problem over the years. The folding knife blade is only 1.5" and well below the published limits or guidelines.

Waiting for SAK and others to make & sell a TSA/traveler's friendly version of their tools - without a knife blade, perhaps.

It depends on how badly security wants your knife. My DH took his that was all steel and had one 2in. blade. He confiscated it and refused to return it at the end of the cruise. His father gave him that knife 20 yrs before and it was important to him. Never again will he take a knife he cares to lose. Even, though Carnival's guidelines are easily readable and we believed we'd have no problems, the security at the port had another idea... :sly:

Sent from my LG-L38C using Forums mobile app

It will depend on the port, and the security personnel, and how well versed they are with CCL's "rules". As to a knife, as long as the blade is under a certain length, they don't have a problem. Until recently "tools" were prohibited, and they would confiscate multi-tools. CCL's statement now just reads "tools of the trade", and multi-tools are okay, but I would pack it in your checked luggage just to avoid it causing any concern with the port security folks.

It depends on how badly security wants your knife. My DH took his that was all steel and had one 2in. blade. He confiscated it and refused to return it at the end of the cruise. His father gave him that knife 20 yrs before and it was important to him. Never again will he take a knife he cares to lose. Even, though Carnival's guidelines are easily readable and we believed we'd have no problems, the security at the port had another idea... :sly:

Sent from my LG-L38C using Forums mobile app

Same thing here, it was a small swiss army knife that was given to my husband by his father who has passed. They called me back down when we were in SAn Juan and they confiscated it and told us we could pick it up at the end of the cruise. Big fat lie, no one had a clue when I went to ask for it back. I am quite dissapointed to hear many others had no issue with it.

Take it. I've had a SAK aboard many cruises with no problem. Heck you can carry it in your pocket, no need to check it. BUT it would need to be in a checked bag if flying (but everyone already knows that!).

Yeah, but did you know that Old MacDonald was a really bad speller? :D;)

We took one with us. Didnt check it but put it in our carry on. They asked us about it, looked at it and said it was fine. Seems alot of people have had other instances. Its a shame that the people who work in the port area arent better versed in the rules.

I have been cruising since the early 60's and I always carried a small derringer pistol with me. Things have changed but I always take military grade oc5 spray and a stun gun. Never had a problem. My safety is of upmost importance. You should be fine with a Swiss Army knife.

On our recent Valor cruise, my husband had a small leatherman (similar to Swiss Army knife) in his checked suitcase. We got called to the naughty room, where they confiscated it and discarded it. The blade was way under 4 inches. :(

I have been cruising since the early 60's and I always carried a small derringer pistol with me. Things have changed but I always take military grade oc5 spray and a stun gun. Never had a problem. My safety is of upmost importance. You should be fine with a Swiss Army knife.

:eek:

On our recent Valor cruise, my husband had a small leatherman (similar to Swiss Army knife) in his checked suitcase. We got called to the naughty room, where they confiscated it and discarded it. The blade was way under 4 inches. :(

You, mum2bradley, and I were all scammed by PR port security. They took my leathermans tool as well! I was pi$$ed! Took that thing close to 300,000 miles with me including to Iraq - twice. Bottom line is I am still proud of my service and some crooked Peurto Rican security guard has to live with his reflection in the mirror every day!

:eek:

I saw DD's post - it surely raised my eyebrose. :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

I could see those items "sneaking" thru in the pre 9/11 days in checked luggage in ports with very loose security screening, but really ...

Would love to know which port(s) might those be - even if s/he has a CWP and/or LE status for the derringer, there's no legal way to knowingly board with it - and, I stand corrected on this.

Considering I had security tearing apart my diving bag looking for a non-existent knife they thought they saw on the x ray screen when returning from port - be open to anything happening with your real knife. I've even had security try to confiscate cuticle scissors ( I requested a supervisor and got to keep them). I've come to the realization that rules change everyday and personnel interpret them differently, but to be accused of having a knife and getting my bag torn apart where no knife ever existed???

Make sure it does not have pliers. I had forgotten a Leatherman in my bag and it was confiscated in San Juan. Not because of the knife blade, but because of the pliers and screwdrivers in it. I was told hand tools are not allowed on the ships. Luckily it was something that a vendor had given me, so it was no big loss.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Forums mobile app.