First Time with Holland America

CherryG

:) We are booked for the end of November on the Westerdam. We've cruised before, but it's been years.

We are booked in a verandah room, but today I got the upsell email. For $149/pp we can get a suite. $300 is a lot of money and I'm wondering two things. One, is it really worth it, and two, as it gets closer to the sailing date, if there are better rooms and suites available, does the price go down? I am tempted to take it, but not 100% sure.

Holland America cruisers, your opinons please.

Thanks.

(Also, I'm from Canada, so $300 US is more like around $325 Canadian.:mad:

"Worth it" is a personal opinion only you can come to.

Assume it is a weeklong cruise?

This is the process of prices coming down. Yes, it is possible you may see further discounting, but if you say "no" now, they will move on to others, and you may not get another opportunity. But, of course, you don't have to accept.

Given some of the current threads and people's dissatisfaction with the suite they ended up with, you are right to question it. If you are happy with what you have already booked, I'd say save the $300 (and climbing) and use it for something else. Which would give you more pleasure, moving to a suite or spending $300 to buy more clothes for the cruise? :)

Just says a signature suite.
Signature Suites are SS/SY/SZ. You get 50% more room and balcony than a Verandah, and "telephone concierge service", which is essentially enhanced front desk service. If you pass on this upsell you are not likely to get another offer, but it sometimes happens.

Since you don't say what level of verandah you now have I can't say if it's a good price. Typically the list price difference between a VH and an SZ is about $300 pp for a 7 day cruise.

As Bruce said, whether it is "worth it" only you can decide.

Bit the bullet and paid the upsell. I called to ask which cabin it would be and it's on the Navigation deck, in the middle. An SS class. Hope it is worth the difference.

The lady on the phone was very nice and said if I was going to book that suite today, the cost was $649 per person more than what we had originally paid. That made $149/pp seem like a bargain.

Should be lovely, regardless (I hope. :rolleyes:)

I just happened to e-mail my PCC at HAL yesterday to ask him to make note on my booking that I would be interested in any upsell offers as our New Year's cruise draws closer. He e-mailed me right back to tell me about this offer and I took it yesterday. Lost the Explore 4 Promotion, but the extra cabin space is worth it to me.

Hi CherryG !

Two days ago, I called my HAL_PCC and ask her about the huge price drop we had a few weeks ago. she asked me to wait on the line and came back to ask me if I was interested for a jump from a VE to a SY. For a 21 days cruises I paid 200,00$ (raise equiv. 10,00$/day) I think I made a good decision considering the number of days for this Collector cruise. Adding to this, I am a solo cruiser. — Finally the cruise I took look not fully booked.

I wish you the best in regard of your decision.

Holacanada aboard Noordam in 25 days...

Bit the bullet and paid the upsell. I called to ask which cabin it would be and it's on the Navigation deck, in the middle. An SS class. Hope it is worth the difference.

The lady on the phone was very nice and said if I was going to book that suite today, the cost was $649 per person more than what we had originally paid. That made $149/pp seem like a bargain.

Should be lovely, regardless (I hope. :rolleyes:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Congratulation on your up sell. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.:)

Archived