NCL Pearl suite what to expect, food

psychtobe

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-accommodations/suites-and-penthouses

I have read the above link re: suites and want to understand the listed perks of "minibar, juice, soda, fruit" etc. is that something provided in room for a fee? For free? Just on embarkation or throughout the cruise? We are not big drinkers but want to know what to expect.

Also, does being in a suite offer any perks as far as dining? Reservations? Free specialty meal? Anything?

Comment on the dining options and quality in general on the Pearl?

This is for a penthouse suite December 2014 x 11 days. We have another reservation on another cruise ship and are trying to make a final decision. You'll note that food quality is very important to us. Thanks!

In the suite there is one free bottle of water, one bottle of sparkling wine (champagne in highest suites) and a small fruit bowl that is replenished upon consumption. All things in the mini bar are for fee, so no free sodas (except the highest suites, Garden Villa and Deluxe Owner's Suite that also get 3 and 6 bottles of alcohol besides free water and mixers/sodas). Also you'll get free snacks every afternoon brought to the cabin by the butler, these can include canapés, sliced fruits, cheese and crackers, mini sandwitches, cookies, etc.

No free speciality dinners or such but there is a designated venue for suite passengers for breakfast and lunch that is in the steakhouse on Jewel class ships, I think that it's one of the best perks when cruising in a suite. Also you can get reservations (usually even last minute) to pretty much any restaurant onboard via the concierge, this can be a good way of skipping the long wait for MDRs during the peak hour.

There are as many opinions about the food quality as there are posters, we have always been ok with the food served on our cruises but then again, we're not foodies or much of a nitpickers either.

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-accommodations/suites-and-penthouses

I have read the above link re: suites and want to understand the listed perks of "minibar, juice, soda, fruit" etc. is that something provided in room for a fee? For free? Just on embarkation or throughout the cruise? We are not big drinkers but want to know what to expect.

Also, does being in a suite offer any perks as far as dining? Reservations? Free specialty meal? Anything?

Comment on the dining options and quality in general on the Pearl?

This is for a penthouse suite December 2014 x 11 days. We have another reservation on another cruise ship and are trying to make a final decision. You'll note that food quality is very important to us. Thanks!

The info on that link is sadly lacking when it comes to describing the suite perks you can expect. As this is an oft-asked question, I created a list to help folks understand what they can expect. I have copied & pasted it below. Also, that mini-bar is a fee-based mini-bar which is basically the same as you would find in any hotel. Here's the info you need to know. Hope you find it helpful. ;)

Here are a few tips to help you sort out the perks associated with the different types/levels of suites on Norwegian Cruise Line.

• Perks come with all full suite accommodations. Mini-suites do not fall into that category. Any stateroom category that starts with an "S" is considered a full suite.

• Some ships are equipped with a Haven, and some are not. Ships that are equipped with a Haven will have two levels of suite: Haven suites and non-Haven suites. Haven Suites are designated by the letter "S" followed by a number. Non-Haven Suites are designated by the letter "S" followed by a letter.

• Haven suites have access to the Haven regardless of where they are situated on the ship. The Haven has its own pool, hot tub, sauna, and sundeck. Some have their own restaurant and bar within the Haven complex. Some Haven's also have a retractable roof over the central area. Haven configuration varies based on ship class/generation

• All suites have access to a private restaurant for breakfast and lunch.

• All suites have Butler and Concierge service.

• All suites receive invitations to a special cocktail reception with the Captain and other Officers.

• All suites receive priority embarkation and disembarkation, as well as priority tendering.

• All suites receive one bottle of Sparkling Wine, one large bottle of water, a bowl of fresh fruit (replenished upon consumption) and a fresh flower arrangement in their suite, along with treats delivered daily by the Butler. (Note: Garden Villas, Deluxe Owner's Suites and Owner's Suites receive Champagne instead of Sparkling Wine)

• Garden Villa's receive 6 bottles of alcohol with unlimited mixers, soda and water, while Deluxe Owner's Suites and Owner's Suites each receive 3 bottles of alcohol with unlimited mixers, soda and water.

• All suites are provided with a variety of Elemis brand toiletries.

• All suites are equipped with a Coffee/Cappuccino/Espresso Machine (Most are Lavazza pod-style machines), however the Sun has Lavazza machines in the Owner’s Suites, but drip-style coffee brewers in all other suites (these suites cannot accommodate these devices).

• All suites have access to the Pre-Cruise Concierge service, which helps to coordinate your individual selections on pillow types, coffee and tea preferences, and a variety of special requests.

• All suites (except the SG and SJ suites on Deck 12 of the Star and some suites on the Sun) have a portable phone, which can be used throughout the ship.

• All suites are equipped with the "Bliss Bed" which truly lives up to its name.

• All suites have an expanded Room Service menu. Essentially, order whatever you want, and if it is available on the ship you will have it.

The info on that link is sadly lacking when it comes to describing the suite perks you can expect. As this is an oft-asked question, I created a list to help folks understand what they can expect. I have copied & pasted it below. Also, that mini-bar is a fee-based mini-bar which is basically the same as you would find in any hotel. Here's the info you need to know. Hope you find it helpful. ;)

Here are a few tips to help you sort out the perks associated with the different types/levels of suites on Norwegian Cruise Line.

• Perks come with all full suite accommodations. Mini-suites do not fall into that category. Any stateroom category that starts with an "S" is considered a full suite.

• Some ships are equipped with a Haven, and some are not. Ships that are equipped with a Haven will have two levels of suite: Haven suites and non-Haven suites. Haven Suites are designated by the letter "S" followed by a number. Non-Haven Suites are designated by the letter "S" followed by a letter.

• Haven suites have access to the Haven regardless of where they are situated on the ship. The Haven has its own pool, hot tub, sauna, and sundeck. Some have their own restaurant and bar within the Haven complex. Some Haven's also have a retractable roof over the central area. Haven configuration varies based on ship class/generation

• All suites have access to a private restaurant for breakfast and lunch.

• All suites have Butler and Concierge service.

• All suites receive invitations to a special cocktail reception with the Captain and other Officers.

• All suites receive priority embarkation and disembarkation, as well as priority tendering.

• All suites receive one bottle of Sparkling Wine, one large bottle of water, a bowl of fresh fruit (replenished upon consumption) and a fresh flower arrangement in their suite, along with treats delivered daily by the Butler. (Note: Garden Villas, Deluxe Owner's Suites and Owner's Suites receive Champagne instead of Sparkling Wine)

• Garden Villa's receive 6 bottles of alcohol with unlimited mixers, soda and water, while Deluxe Owner's Suites and Owner's Suites each receive 3 bottles of alcohol with unlimited mixers, soda and water.

• All suites are provided with a variety of Elemis brand toiletries.

• All suites are equipped with a Coffee/Cappuccino/Espresso Machine (Most are Lavazza pod-style machines), however the Sun has Lavazza machines in the Owner’s Suites, but drip-style coffee brewers in all other suites (these suites cannot accommodate these devices).

• All suites have access to the Pre-Cruise Concierge service, which helps to coordinate your individual selections on pillow types, coffee and tea preferences, and a variety of special requests.

• All suites (except the SG and SJ suites on Deck 12 of the Star and some suites on the Sun) have a portable phone, which can be used throughout the ship.

• All suites are equipped with the "Bliss Bed" which truly lives up to its name.

• All suites have an expanded Room Service menu. Essentially, order whatever you want, and if it is available on the ship you will have it.

Very helpful info.............many thanks! Would it be OK with you if I sent it along to DD?

:)

Very helpful info.............many thanks! Would it be OK with you if I sent it along to DD?

Of course! Please, be my guest.

If it's easier, I'll be happy to forward it to you in a word.doc format. Shoot me an email (link is in my signature) if you would like the doc.

Thank you and to Waldo in particular for the list. Is the Pearl a Haven ship? Cabin number is 10000, no S, so cannot tell.

Is specialty breakfast and lunch free or extra charge?

Can you comment on the cost and quality of the specialty restaurants, as well as the MDR?

We thought the priority embarkation and tendering what be the best perks, but the specialty breakfast and lunch might be good.

....Is the Pearl a Haven ship? Cabin number is 10000, no S, so cannot tell.......

Pearl is a Haven ship. Cabin 10000 is a category SE Penthouse. Unfortunately w/o Haven access. This cabin is located at the front of the ship with a forward facing large balcony. This cabin is a suite.

from NCL;

Penthouse with Large Balcony

Penthouse with Large Balcony SUITES callout Prices from $979

These incredible Penthouses sleep up to four, with a bedroom with queen-size bed and luxury bath and shower. Also includes a living area, dining area and large private balcony that offers an amazing view. Includes butler and concierge service.

Approx Square Footage*: 489 - 578

Max Capacity: 2-4

Decks 9 and 10 Forward

HTH and Enjoy

10000 and 10500 are the best Suites on the Jewel Class IMHO with the extra space in the lounge area. Check out my Review on the Gem in October 2013 and if you want to see some views from the Balcony check out

http://Www.flickr.com/photos/magickpyggie/sets

Best regards

Ps dinner in the Suite is a good perk too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Note that the Cagney's breakfast and lunch menu is the same every day. So we may eat there once or twice, but then we venture out to other venues (I like the buffet) for variety the other days. :)

That's true!

For Cagney's I don't mind a set menu for breakfast, but it would be nice to have more variety at lunch.

I love the Norwegian suite life ..... actually guess I just love Norwegian cruise lines.

Here is a video from youtube for suite 10000 on the Pearl. Video is very well done and shows what a great stateroom you have booked.

Thank you and to Waldo in particular for the list. Is the Pearl a Haven ship? Cabin number is 10000, no S, so cannot tell.

Is specialty breakfast and lunch free or extra charge?

Can you comment on the cost and quality of the specialty restaurants, as well as the MDR?

We thought the priority embarkation and tendering what be the best perks, but the specialty breakfast and lunch might be good.

You are quite welcome. Breakfast and lunch will be at Cagney's and completely free of charge. The service is excellent, and because the wait staff get to know your preferences quickly, it enhances the experience greatly. Definitely one of our favorite suite perks.

We've never been disappointed by the quality nor quantity of the food anywhere on the ship. Are there occasional less-then-excellent meals? Sure, but when you are preparing meals for 2000+ guests, this is to be expected. Specialty restaurants are a nice option, and LeBistro, Moderno and Teppanyaki are our personal favorites. If you opt for Moderno, skip lunch or make it a very light lunch, as the volume of food you will consume is enormous!

Dinner in suite meaning we can order room service off the full menu and eat in our room? With two young kids that would be a nice perk indeed.

You can order any meal from any restaurant on the ship, and it will be served by your Butler, complete with white linen tablecloth, etc. A VERY nice option when you are traveling with children.

One thing to note regarding your suite. As you are on the bow and directly under the bridge, you will be required to keep your balcony light off at night when underway, and to keep your curtains closed whenever you have a light on in the room, as the illumination disturbs the night-vision of those on the bridge. (If you forget, you will receive a call from your Butler quickly ;) )

Enjoy! Prepare to be pampered, have your children fawned-over, and just generally have an extraordinary vacation experience.

very sneaky - ordering non-entrees from specialty restaurants.

OK, how much is the Haven worth to you? I'm thinking with a holiday cruise there will be a ton of kids at the pools and Haven might be nice.

Right now we have the PH suite 10000 for around $8xxx and $3xx in OBC. Also available is Category S3 which I think is Owner's suite? For $11,xxx and $8xx in OBC, so about $3000 more expensive net-net. With that we get access to Haven/Haven dining, a separate bedroom, and an additional bathroom. What do you think of that option? This is for an 11 day cruise.

Food food food is my greatest anxiety! Is Haven dining a little better, much better, or not better and just separate?

I really appreciate all your help! My TA is helping a little as well but you know more!

Edited by psychtobe

I forgot to mention something else. Since you are traveling with little ones, and will enjoy the services of a Butler, don't be afraid to ask for things that will make the trip even more special.

For instance, you could have a pajama party with the kids, by requesting some DVDs from the catalog, along with popcorn or cookies or ice cream (or all of the above) and the Butler will be happy to accommodate.

Don't hesitate to let him or her know if there are things you'd like to have available at all times. Examples: juices in the fridge, or milk and cookies for the kids, bowl of gummie bears for the kids, etc.

Do consider what services the Butler has provided for you as you near the end of the voyage, so you can decide what will be an appropriate gratuity.

Enjoy every single moment.

very sneaky - ordering non-entrees from specialty restaurants.

OK, how much is the Haven worth to you? I'm thinking with a holiday cruise there will be a ton of kids at the pools and Haven might be nice.

Right now we have the PH suite 10000 for around $8xxx and $3xx in OBC. Also available is Category S3 which I think is Owner's suite? For $11,xxx and $8xx in OBC, so about $2500 more expensive net-net. With that we get access to Haven/Haven dining, a separate bedroom, and an additional bathroom. What do you think of that option? This is for an 11 day cruise.

Food food food is my greatest anxiety! Is Haven dining a little better, much better, or not better and just separate?

I really appreciate all your help! My TA is helping a little as well but you know more!

If the S3 is within your budget I would ABSOLUTELY take the jump and upgrade. The space is considerably larger, you will be able to sit on the side balconies in the evening while the kiddos are asleep (something much more difficult to enjoy on the forward-facing balcony), and the bathroom is magnificent. Those reasons alone are worth it (imho) but when you add in Haven access, it takes this experience over the top.

Also, with access to the haven, you can have your meals served to you in the Haven courtyard as well, which is a truly unique and delightful experience as well.

Lets see... 1 Forward-facing huge balcony, 1 long (double) side-facing balcony, separate bedroom area, enormous and amazing bath, haven access, reserved seating in the theatre, 3 bottles of alcohol, a bottle of real champagne, unlimited water and sodas... ummmmm. YEAH!

;)

My mother asked for and got sliced avocado every day. I even got a BLT with avocado one day, it was not on the menu. I was crazy about the salad with hearts of palm and had it multiple times.

Guess I am wierd because on my 11 nighter in March I had everything once and a few repeaters. I could have done same gor another week. Breakfast and Lunch. Guess I am lucky I like most things.

That's true!

For Cagney's I don't mind a set menu for breakfast, but it would be nice to have more variety at lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If the S3 is within your budget I would ABSOLUTELY take the jump and upgrade. The space is considerably larger, you will be able to sit on the side balconies in the evening while the kiddos are asleep (something much more difficult to enjoy on the forward-facing balcony), and the bathroom is magnificent. Those reasons alone are worth it (imho) but when you add in Haven access, it takes this experience over the top.

Also, with access to the haven, you can have your meals served to you in the Haven courtyard as well, which is a truly unique and delightful experience as well.

Lets see... 1 Forward-facing huge balcony, 1 long (double) side-facing balcony, separate bedroom area, enormous and amazing bath, haven access, reserved seating in the theatre, 3 bottles of alcohol, a bottle of real champagne, unlimited water and sodas... ummmmm. YEAH!

;)

unlimited soda? My wife will love that! What about 3 bottles of alcohol - what does that mean exactly?

This is sounding very tempting. What's $3 grand, it's only money right?