taking ones own drink on board

thefish

The xray machines will detect bottles. It is the responsability of the security staff to establish what is in the bottles. There could be any type of substance inside the bottle. From a business standpoint, it only makes sense to post an NCL rep. at the xray machine to take advantage of the technology.

Yes. The outline of it will show up. What they look for is the general shape. One passenger on my most recent cruise had a whole bunch of travel size bottles (shampoo, conditioner, mouth wash, etc.) and her bag was pulled aside because they thought she had a bunch of mini's. So, she went down there to open the bag for them (they won't do it without your presence) and showed them they were truly travel size stuff. And, she was given an apology and sent on her way. She wasn't embarassed by any of it, but she said that others were absolutely beligerant and ranting and raving, etc.

Forgive me, but as a 1st time poster I expect to be shot down in flames as others often are. That said, I have followed the CC boards for over 7 months and taken an NCL cruise for each of the past 5 years (latest Spirit, Miami to LA April/May 05) -- which have all been generally good!

Until now I have read in silent amazement some of the issues which concern / upset posters - and gleaned a lot of useful information - but this Thread is the straw to break the camels back -- its not as if the issue hasn't been raised time and again already.

Why can't people accept a company's policy? What's the big deal? Why the excitement about smuggling drink on board? Does it matter how NCL trace illegal drink?

I really cannot understand daFish@s concerns and certainly agree with the comment from 2Cruise4Ever -- if we all followed the rules I'm sure the on board drink price would fall.

Forgive me, but as a 1st time poster I expect to be shot down in flames as others often are. That said, I have followed the CC boards for over 7 months and taken an NCL cruise for each of the past 5 years (latest Spirit, Miami to LA April/May 05) -- which have all been generally good!

Until now I have read in silent amazement some of the issues which concern / upset posters - and gleaned a lot of useful information - but this Thread is the straw to break the camels back -- its not as if the issue hasn't been raised time and again already.

Why can't people accept a company's policy? What's the big deal? Why the excitement about smuggling drink on board? Does it matter how NCL trace illegal drink?

I really cannot understand daFish@s concerns and certainly agree with the comment from 2Cruise4Ever -- if we all followed the rules I'm sure the on board drink price would fall.

FLAMES

Wanted to give you what you expected :D

I don't believe the prices will go down but they will not go up as fast. Lets face it the cruise fare is a lost leader. The margin is made onboard. It is the price we all pay for the bargin pricing the industry has created.

If I pack a bottle I fully expect it to be held. If not all the better. The availability of the bar set up has for the most part taken away the need to even bother.

Yes. The outline of it will show up. What they look for is the general shape. One passenger on my most recent cruise had a whole bunch of travel size bottles (shampoo, conditioner, mouth wash, etc.) and her bag was pulled aside because they thought she had a bunch of mini's. So, she went down there to open the bag for them (they won't do it without your presence) and showed them they were truly travel size stuff. And, she was given an apology and sent on her way.

"She was given an apology and sent on her way." What about her bag? Were they going to deliver it to her cabin, and I assume deliver it very late? Or was she supposed to schlep it to her cabin herself from (I assume) the bowels of the ship?

FLAMES

Wanted to give you what you expected :D

I don't believe the prices will go down but they will not go up as fast. Lets face it the cruise fare is a lost leader. The margin is made onboard. It is the price we all pay for the bargin pricing the industry has created.

If I pack a bottle I fully expect it to be held. If not all the better. The availability of the bar set up has for the most part taken away the need to even bother.

I think the bar set-up is a good thing, but a better thing is what they do on RCI (Yes Sid I did ONE thing:D ). You were able to buy a bottle at the ship store for the duty free price and they tacked on $9.50 to each bottle. I would guess the $9.50 goes to RCI as they don`t own the store.

Now that is much less then the NCL bar set-up price. Some of the drinks on board were more then NCL and some weren`t. Perhaps NCL could look into this then there won`t be such a hassle. Just MHO.

I don't know why I have visions of people going to a NY restaurant, purchasing some soda or cranberry juice or something and then under the table taking out a pint of liquor from a brown bag and spiking the drink. The reason, the cost of the drinks in NY are too much.:mad:

I agree with you 100% naragonl, that is exactly how I feel about the topic. If you deliberately enter into a place that serves alcohol, you agree to abide by their rules. If you don't like their rules, you are quite free to use your patronage to go elsewhere where you like the rules better!

It's like going to a home of an asthmatic where the party invitation says "no smoking in the house" and then lighting up a cigar. If you couldn't abide by the stated rules, it would be better to decline and go elsewhere. You don't argue with a host about what his rules are.

"She was given an apology and sent on her way." What about her bag? Were they going to deliver it to her cabin, and I assume deliver it very late? Or was she supposed to schlep it to her cabin herself from (I assume) the bowels of the ship?

Sorry about that. I should have clarified. Yes, she was given her bag back. And, no she was not in the bowels of the ship. They used a conference room on deck 12. And, it was after we sailed, just before dinner.

2Cruise4ever - What is the cost of the bar set up and how does it work? Do you buy individual bottles of liquor? Is there a pre-determined set up? How much does it cost?

I am very interested as there are 8 of us going and pre-dinner cocktails are a regular activity. Thanks for your assistance with the above questions!

2Cruise4ever - What is the cost of the bar set up and how does it work? Do you buy individual bottles of liquor? Is there a pre-determined set up? How much does it cost?

I am very interested as there are 8 of us going and pre-dinner cocktails are a regular activity. Thanks for your assistance with the above questions!

The price is per bottle. The have two levels by type. $40 and $52 plus a $3 setup charge I believe. The list is limited but for Vodka for example the $40 is Absolute at the $52 is Stoli.

We ordered Tangerey gin and a 6 pack of tonic. They didn't break the price down for me, but the total was $76.00. Expensive? Yes, but still less than what individual drinks would have cost for the same amount of liquor. Individual drinks were about 5.00. And, there are 32 ounces (approx) in a liter. So, 32 times 5.00 is $160. So, we ended up saving $94 overall. Definitely worth it. The list is limited. But, the NCL rep can look up what's available for you. It was charged directly to our credit card about a week before we sailed.

Hello everyone, I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about bar set up on the Norwegian Jewel (August 10th Mediterranean cruise). With all the talk about bar set up on this thread I wonder if anyone can let me know whether they've managed to organise one for the Jewel yet. My discussions with NCL UK (we're from England) have proved fruitless - in fact I have been told that bottles of liquor such as gin or whiskey are not sold for consumption in cabins due to health and safety reasons! Sounds all very strange to me.

Hello everyone, I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about bar set up on the Norwegian Jewel (August 10th Mediterranean cruise). With all the talk about bar set up on this thread I wonder if anyone can let me know whether they've managed to organise one for the Jewel yet. My discussions with NCL UK (we're from England) have proved fruitless - in fact I have been told that bottles of liquor such as gin or whiskey are not sold for consumption in cabins due to health and safety reasons! Sounds all very strange to me.

I will let you know next week. Bar service is not promoted. It is handled as part of Passenger Courtesy. The Jewel Passenger Courtesy Coordinator was on vacation this week but returns on Monday. This is the same person that would set up space for a Cruise Critic Roll Call meeting.

If you don't have access to the 866 number posted. I would send an email requesting the set up to passengercourtesyjewel@ncl.com

We ordered Tangerey gin and a 6 pack of tonic. They didn't break the price down for me, but the total was $76.00. Expensive? Yes, but still less than what individual drinks would have cost for the same amount of liquor. Individual drinks were about 5.00. And, there are 32 ounces (approx) in a liter. So, 32 times 5.00 is $160. So, we ended up saving $94 overall. Definitely worth it. The list is limited. But, the NCL rep can look up what's available for you. It was charged directly to our credit card about a week before we sailed.

A poster before 2Cruise4Ever posted that liquor was either $40 or $52. Let's say the Tangerey was $52 + $3 set up. That's $55. So you were charged $21 for a 6-pack of tonic. Am I the only one who thinks that's outrageous?!:eek: :(

If I order the gin, I think I'll be schlepping the mixers.;)

Can't see the problem with having your own bar? I travel all over and bring my own bottle when I travel. It's nice to have a drink in your own room. I still go down to the bar and order drinks for me and my friends. I just like to have a drink in my own room when I want to kick back with my shoes off.

How many of you order a bottle of liquor from the room service menu when you are at a hotel? What bother's me is that the folks who get on their "High Horse" about putting liquor in your suitcase. If people want to do it, let them! They don't need a lecture about "How bad" it is to bring their own booze. It almost sounds like they work for the cruise companies???

Look at is this way, when you say "You can't have it" to most people, that person will want to do it just to "Try it". Relax the rules, lower the drink cost and you'll find the bar tabs will be just as good or better. When you don't think about the "High Cost" of a drink, you'll order more and more and...

Everyone be cool and live life without being uptight. Put a smile on your face and thank God for your life.

Can't see the problem with having your own bar? I travel all over and bring my own bottle when I travel. It's nice to have a drink in your own room. I still go down to the bar and order drinks for me and my friends. I just like to have a drink in my own room when I want to kick back with my shoes off.

How many of you order a bottle of liquor from the room service menu when you are at a hotel? What bother's me is that the folks who get on their "High Horse" about putting liquor in your suitcase. If people want to do it, let them! They don't need a lecture about "How bad" it is to bring their own booze. It almost sounds like they work for the cruise companies???

Look at is this way, when you say "You can't have it" to most people, that person will want to do it just to "Try it". Relax the rules, lower the drink cost and you'll find the bar tabs will be just as good or better. When you don't think about the "High Cost" of a drink, you'll order more and more and...

Everyone be cool and live life without being uptight. Put a smile on your face and thank God for your life.

I certainly understand your viewpoint, as we usually smuggle in a small amount for pre-dinner options while we wait for travelling companions and dinner appointments. This cruise with our large family group, I never used it, but we sure did run up solid bar tabs.

However, on one of our Dawn/Bahama cruises, some underage kids got ahold of some rum in Nassau, and "partyupped" a storm on their last night, doing damage to the ship in the neighborhood of $2,500. The security system had them on video throughout the ship, and their cabin(s) were charged accordingly. So there are more issues than just the lost revenue from liquor sales.

Tom, thanks for a story that often does not get told. I am one who loves to have a drink or glass of wine in the cabin. I will admit there was a time when I knew every possible to sneak booze on board; I am getting too old and lazy to put that much effort into it anymore but do understand the OP view. That being said, the issue you just pointed out helps to explain the reason for the strict policy. NCL has always been a little stricter than some lines though we got busted in San Juan trying to brink hard liquor onto a Celebrity ship. None of us know the true reason NCL inforces the liquor rules and we never will. Guess we just have to do what we feel comfortable with whether it's trying to smuggle booze, buy the bar set up or simply drink in the public areas only. NMNita

Tom, thanks for a story that often does not get told. I am one who loves to have a drink or glass of wine in the cabin. I will admit there was a time when I knew every possible to sneak booze on board; I am getting too old and lazy to put that much effort into it anymore but do understand the OP view. That being said, the issue you just pointed out helps to explain the reason for the strict policy. NCL has always been a little stricter than some lines though we got busted in San Juan trying to brink hard liquor onto a Celebrity ship. None of us know the true reason NCL inforces the liquor rules and we never will. Guess we just have to do what we feel comfortable with whether it's trying to smuggle booze, buy the bar set up or simply drink in the public areas only. NMNita

I've heard about a bar set up a few times on the board. Can someone tell me what it is (i'm assuming some hard liquor and glasses brought to your room?)

and how much it is, and if I can find it somewhere on the NCL website to see what types of liquor they offer? A link perhaps?

TIA

I just called passenger service and was quoted the following...

$3 service charge

Absolutue $40... Crown Royal $55... Jack Daniels $55... Wild Turkey $55... Tangerey $55... Amaretto $55.

I also asked about tonic. Tonic is $1.50 per can.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I am not sure who you call, but we too need to know. I do know the fee is about $40 a bottle and the liquor is top quality. I beleive there is a $3 service fee. The bar will be set up when you get to your cabin. I think we are going to try it for our Jewel cruise.

NMNita

Archived