Millennium 3 1/2 stars?

ukbound

We are shopping for a med cruise. In researching, I notice that the Millennium is rated with 3 1/2 stars. I have always heard that Celebrity has such lovely ships. Why do ships such as Brilliance of the Seas have higher ratings? What do you think they are really comparing? Bells and whistles? The reviews themselves don't seem to reveal the differences.

We have traveled on the Millennium twice and are also sailing her again in Feb 2006. She is one of my favorites. Very warm, service outstanding. Sorry I can't compare to Brillance since I have never sailed her. I think you would be very pleased with Celebrity. Overall, my first choice for cruising.

My last cruise was on the Mille. In March (I think). It was wonderful. Service was not quite as good as some of the smaller X ships, but an outstanding cruise nun the less. Although we've never done the new radiance class ships IMHO X beats RCI by a mile. I'd sail her again anytime.....and love it!

We were on Millie this year (Eastern Caribbean) and had a great time. It was certainly up to Celebrities standards.

As far as star ratings, that is the opinion of one person or, worse yet, a committee where everything is negotiated :eek:

I didn't check. But, is the difference between a 3½ and a 4 star? Maybe not any real difference at all. I would be more concerned with something rated below 3 on a 5 scale.

Charlie

Hi Everyone !

Millennium is a great ship. I would not worry about what the star ratings look like. If you are considering her, I would definately recommend her.

Enjoy your Cruise !

The Millennium has 5 years under her sail now. Is it starting to show wear throughout the ship? Is it due for a dry dock or did it recently have one?

I too am surprised it was only at 3 1/2 stars. Can anyone comment on the children's program for the 9 year old group? Is Celebrity loosing the personal touch with their bigger ships?

Is Celebrity loosing the personal touch with their bigger ships?

We were on the Millie earlier this year. Staff was outstanding. I never felt like "part of a crowd".

7 weeks before that we were on the significantly smaller Horizon. The feeling was the same.

Charlie

Is Celebrity loosing the personal touch with their bigger ships?

Absolutely not. Nothing to worry about there !

We have been on Millenium (Mediteranian cruise) May 04 and have booked Eastern Carribean for next Year. After having experienced many different CL's (Celebrity, RCCL, MSC, Festival (was quite nice but unfortunately out of Business, COSTA (never again....), we found that CELEBRITY is better than all others mentioned and we love the MILLENIUM very much. We were as well very surprised to found here rated 3 1/2 but I think with more than 2000 people on a ship, you will alwys find some very happy others not. I just read a report about a Customers review on CRISTAL CRUISES (supposed to be one of the best) and they complained about the food!!!!!

We look forward to the next cruise on Millenium with impatience and are curious to see our CC-Category Veranda Suite in the AFT (that is said has a great balcony) Is there anybody having seen them?

Assuming you are talking about cruise critics rating site, please remember that this is in no way scientific. I remember a few years ago on these boards when one ship in particular was rated very low and someone got on the board for that cruise line and requested people rate the ship higher. Within a couple of days the ship had one of the highest ratings on the board, probably rated by many who were never on the ship.

I personally think the service is much better on the Galaxy. The thing about the Millie that drove me CRAZY was the lack of enforcement of the smoking policy....I swear I am not nitpicky at all, but they made no effort to enforce it. There was smoke everywhere. The Millie is a nice ship - but I have to tell you that if given the choice I would take the Galaxy, but not the Millie again. We were rushed through all of our meals, and interestingly, several passengers we met had also been on Celebrity's smaller ships and were much happier with them. So, you will like the Millie, but if you can, I'd choose the Galaxy.

My wife and I sailed last year on the Constellation to the British Isles and Fjords in one of the aft cabins. It was fantastic!! We liked it so much that we are sailing on the Millenium next month to the med in the same cabin.

Barry

Enforcement of smoking policy is a sore subject on most any line. I have found after some 24 cruises on most all major lines that you can pick the week to go, the ship to go on but you will never be able to pick the other 2000+/- people that will go with you. That said, you can have a week with considerate and courteous smokers that abide by the policy. And then you could have a week filled with nasty, heavy smokers that are inconsiderate of others and have no regard for the ship's policy on smoking areas. I would not downgrade a ship over one week out of the year that you had a bad experience with smokers on it. After the failure of Carnival's all non-smoking ship it appears the smokers have won the battle to not find a safe, non-toxic second hand smoking ship. It's the worst part about cruising IMO. It seems they can pass laws on land about smoking in public places but the sea will never follow suit to provide a safe and pleasant cruise. I would think for the fire safety factor alone that smoking should be prohibited on all cruise ships. At least they could do like motels and offer non-smoking rooms on their ships(Disney does this). Nothing worse than going into a fine suite stateroom that the previous persons were heavy smokers. They can spray,defume and sanitize all they want it will never remove all the stale, pugnant smoke odor left behind. Okay, I'm off my soapbox now! Smokers enjoy your rebutals.

Highly recommend Celebrity's Millennium. Just returned last month from their Mediterranean cruise -- Barcelona to Venice June 8-19. Great for a first time visit to the French Riviera, Italy and Greece plus the bonus of Dubrovnik, Croatia. We were familiar with the ship's layout and service as we'd cruised on Constellation last year to the Scandinavian capitals and are sold on Celebrity.:)

Just returned from a cruise on the Millennium, and there is nothing wrong with this ship except that 90% of the artwork is hidious. Otherwise she is a beautiful, well-maintained, excellently staffed ship. It was my best cruise ever. I wouldn't hesitate to cruise her again.

And I never noticed a smoke problem.

We've been on the Millenium sister ships, Constellation (Baltics) and Summit (Southern Caribbean), and they are our two favorites out of all our cruises. To us, the layout was great, and we really enjoyed all the options that the smaller ships don't offer. The Martini Bar and Aqua Spa cafe are outstanding, as is the Thalassotherapy Pool (free on the M-class ships) and the Sushi Bar. We also love the M-class artwork. It's creative, inventive, and a little quirky.

We'll be on the Brilliance on the 23rd of this month in the Mediterranean and are eager to compare it to the M-class ships. They're about the same size (90,000 tons), although Celebrity has a lower passenger ratio.

You probably can't go wrong with either ship, and it will be a great itinerary, regardless.

Allen

Highly recommend Celebrity's Millennium. Just returned last month from their Mediterranean cruise -- Barcelona to Venice June 8-19. Great for a first time visit to the French Riviera, Italy and Greece plus the bonus of Dubrovnik, Croatia. We were familiar with the ship's layout and service as we'd cruised on Constellation last year to the Scandinavian capitals and are sold on Celebrity.:)

We were on the Constellation 2 years ago on the Scandinavian capitals and Russia trip. We just booked the Millennium for June 06. Seems we are following your footsteps! Any recommendations for tours? Did you take the ships tours or book your own? Any info would help. Thanks

• 7 months later...

Hello. We are just off The Summit (almost a mirror of the Millenium which we were on 2004 transatlantic cross) and had cabin 7206. Absolutely wonderful cabin....the veranda is 20' in length. Loved both of these ships and am booking the Millenium again. I agree with all of you that it was a great surprise to see only 3.5 stars...it would not deter us one bit. We loved the food overall, the service and...just about everything. If you have a chance to book The Normandy on The Summit, don't hesitate. It was splendiferous on all counts....we dined there twice. It's a 5 star restaurant.

We are shopping for a med cruise. In researching, I notice that the Millennium is rated with 3 1/2 stars. I have always heard that Celebrity has such lovely ships. Why do ships such as Brilliance of the Seas have higher ratings? What do you think they are really comparing? Bells and whistles? The reviews themselves don't seem to reveal the differences.

I love cruise critic but the rating system is not in any way scientific or based upon specific standards. I remember once awhile ago someone didn't like the fact that the Disney ships were rated so low and they told everyone to go and vote the ships higher. Within a couple of days, these ships had the highest ratings possible.

If you check with the following link, you will find that the Millenium is rated by Conde Naste readers as the second best ship among larger cruise ships.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=288122

I have sailed Millennium 3 times, and I have sailed Brilliance once. Brilliance was a very pretty ship, but the food and service versus Millennium was not in the same catagory. Book Millennium.:)

Archived