Problem with Cabin Steward

tafische

The company should have known he was a predator if in fact he was one. It is called a brackground check or better yet not scraping the bottom of the barrel when hiring workers.

Don't count on this. Many of the workers are from countries and cultures where the abuse of women is accepted or condoned. If the behavior is not seen as a crime, therefore nothing is reported so a background check would show nothing. Take a minute to look where these workers are from and how their culture treats certain groups. In some of these cultures the abuse of women, children, gays, and animals is the norm, nothing to report because the mistreatment is not seen as a crime.

How do you think they do a background check on people from some of these poor countries or little villages? You would get a letter from your minister or the local Justice of the Peace who happens to be your cousin, twice over. These workers could be serial rapists or child abusers but coming from countries where the rape of a women or abuse of children is never reported or prosecuted.

Edited by Blk_Amish

So on my last cruise, I was not thrilled at all with our cabin steward. On every cruise I have been on, they have been great and tirelessly work behind the scenes to make things enjoyable.

What I want to know is if my expectations are unrealistic? Here is what transpired (sorry it is long) --

We met the guy right off. He was from the Ukraine, very tall - about 6" 5' and very friendly, but very loud (woke us up being "friendly" with guests almost every morning)

- First full day we leave the cabin. When we come back he tells us he did not clean our cabin because we did not put out the Crusin' sign and we must have it out for him to clean

- That night we had some wine from our carry on bottles and left the room with the glasses. He chastised us telling us that if we took them we would not get any more as he does not have replacements.

- Next day we go back to the room and there are only three pool towels (4 in the room). We ask for another and he tells us he only replaces towels in the evening and we will have to get one from the towel hut.

- We had no robes in the cabin. When we asked him about it he argued we did. We had no room service menu, when we asked about it he argued we did.

- When we asked about replacement breakfast menus, he told us it was our fault because we were hanging our robes on the hook where he leaves them and he could not tell we were out.

- Third day we come back from Dinner and have NO pool towels in the room. The hut is closed and the kids want to swim. Young daughter starts to cry and says "I dont like him at all!!"

So at this point I have had it and go talk to the service desk. They get me some towels and are a little dumbfounded by what is going on and say they will speak to him. The Hotel Manager also comes by and talks to us.

- Next day my wife is in the room and he knocks and comes in AND closes the door behind him. He proceeds to tell her how it is not his fault that he has rules and they are out of towels, etc - but she is VERY uncomfortable with this guy in the room with the door closed by herself!

- Later when I am there he comes in again and closes the door and tells me all the same thing. I am friendly, tell him I disagree, but shake his hand and tel him I appreciate him coming by (at this point I just wanted him to leave).

So - was I wrong in my expectations from any of this? I have always taken the glasses out of the room. I have always had replacement towels. I have always had plenty of menus. I have NEVER been 'reprimanded' by a cabin steward.

By the way - I didnt dock his tip. I know he has a hard job.

Firstly you did the right thing not adjusting the tips ... The situation sounds like a scripted training where there is no room for movement he might of been new to carnival and we don't know what the training is like ....all the room stewards I have had all have been well experienced and so know the company and know where there is possible room for movement

He sounds like he needs retraining or at least mentored by an experienced cabin member

Don't count on this. Many of the workers are from countries and cultures where the abuse of women is accepted or condoned. If the behavior is not seen as a crime, therefore nothing is reported so a background check would show nothing. Take a minute to look where these workers are from and how their culture treats certain groups. In some of these cultures the abuse of women, children, gays, and animals is the norm, nothing to report because the mistreatment is not seen as a crime.

How do you think they do a background check on people from some of these poor countries or little villages? You would get a letter from your minister or the local Justice of the Peace who happens to be your cousin, twice over. These workers could be serial rapists or child abusers but coming from countries where the rape of a women or abuse of children is never reported or prosecuted.

Oh I agree with with everything you are saying. However when I post logical thought like you just did I am totally flamed. It seems very difficult for many posters here to see things clearly at times.

Everything you posted is correct but remember most posters here are under the impression that the crew is their best friend and are totally trustworthy.

I myself see them as hard workers doing their job but I also understand various cultures like you mentioned and do realize the differences.

That is why I am cordial to all on the ship but do not ever get to know them personally and I always am on guard just like at home.

We will now hear of all the wonderful crew members and of their hard lives back home and on the ship.

I do not live my life in fear and do not cower but I am no fool and do understand how women are viewed in other parts of the world. Understanding this concept does not mean I have not visited those parts nor does it mean I would not cruise again.

However in this particular stewards case I believe he was just using the bully techniques that he was probably raised with and considers totally acceptable. Again those cultural differences. I don't believe he could still be acting that way several cruises later or that a major complaint has not been filed against him by now.

Edited by Crusin6

The worst stewards we've ever had were "invisible elves". Three cruises on Carnival, the room was always cleaned perfectly; everything was always done, but we never saw our steward.

Edited by Kethry88
rewording

The worst stewards we've ever had were "invisible elves". Three cruises on Carnival, the room was always cleaned perfectly; everything was always done, but we never saw our steward.

Why is this a bad thing? I'm not opposed to seeing my steward, but if he can get it done without crossing my path I'd think that was great. All I can about is that the cleaning gets done and I get fresh towels.

I would put that in my BEST STEWARD bucket.

Firstly you did the right thing not adjusting the tips ... The situation sounds like a scripted training where there is no room for movement he might of been new to carnival and we don't know what the training is like ....all the room stewards I have had all have been well experienced and so know the company and know where there is possible room for movement

He sounds like he needs retraining or at least mentored by an experienced cabin member

Purely speculative and sounds like a bunch of excuses.

I would have decreased or removed my tip based on how he made me feel anything less than how he should have. His behavior should not have been rewarded.

Why is this a bad thing? I'm not opposed to seeing my steward, but if he can get it done without crossing my path I'd think that was great. All I can about is that the cleaning gets done and I get fresh towels.

It's not a bad thing. Well, except by never saw, I mean NEVER saw, not even an introduction. I have no idea what they even looked like. But we've been lucky as far as stewards go, since that's the worst thing I can say.

It's not a bad thing. Well, except by never saw, I mean NEVER saw, not even an introduction. I have no idea what they even looked like. But we've been lucky as far as stewards go, since that's the worst thing I can say.

The best thing about not knowing what he looked like was that you didn't have to tip him anything extra at the end!

Oh I agree with with everything you are saying. However when I post logical thought like you just did I am totally flamed. It seems very difficult for many posters here to see things clearly at times.

Everything you posted is correct but remember most posters here are under the impression that the crew is their best friend and are totally trustworthy.

I myself see them as hard workers doing their job but I also understand various cultures like you mentioned and do realize the differences.

That is why I am cordial to all on the ship but do not ever get to know them personally and I always am on guard just like at home.

We will now hear of all the wonderful crew members and of their hard lives back home and on the ship.

I do not live my life in fear and do not cower but I am no fool and do understand how women are viewed in other parts of the world. Understanding this concept does not mean I have not visited those parts nor does it mean I would not cruise again.

However in this particular stewards case I believe he was just using the bully techniques that he was probably raised with and considers totally acceptable. Again those cultural differences. I don't believe he could still be acting that way several cruises later or that a major complaint has not been filed against him by now.

At the end of the day so many are blind to what's going on in their own backyard, so the only poor and needy they know work on a ship. It seems many don't have a problem rewarding bad behavior, because it might be another sailing before they come across anyone in need. Poverty or not, some are for countries that look down on a particular group with contempt. That's not going to change with our without your tip or show up in background check possibly done by some agency on the take!

I am going to get flamed for this, pfff, that happened already. If I am paying you to serve and entertainment me, we are not friends. I don't need to get to know you or learn your life history unless you are willing to listen to mine:eek:. I don't need to see you unless I need something. I don't need to be treated like family because mine are a pain in the butt some days. Love, friendship, and trust take time so for a week expect neither. I have problem remembering my own kids' names so I won't stress if you don't tell me yours. Being friendly and being friends are not the same and it's a part of the JOB to be friendly. Yes, I will tip you even the $350 for my family. No, I don't think it's fair but I part of my vacation is always free, so I don't mind passing it on.

Edited by Blk_Amish

We've only done 2 cruises so far and we've had a mixed bag.

First cruise on the Fascination out of Jacksonville--fabulous. Her name was Jan (well..it was something long and unpronounceable actually, but she insisted we call her Jan) and she was CONSTANTLY in our room. Fixing stuff, cleaning up, straightening, ice bucket always full, fluffing, whatever. Our room always looked super and every time she saw us, she called us by name and asked how we were doing. On the last day, she gave DS a big hug and said she hoped she would see him again soon.

Second cruise, Triumph out of Galveston--TOTALLY different experience. Our ice bucket was never filled. The beds were made and stuff looked cleaned up, but it wasn't until the second to last night I ever ran into the guy..and even then the only reason I knew it was him was because I was going back to the room for something (a jacket or something) and he called out to me "Hey! Are you Mrs. String?". I was like, "Um..yes? Can I help you?" and he introduced himself as our room steward. When we'd asked (I think the second day) who our room steward was, nobody seemed to know. It was really kind of weird.

We met the guy right off. He was from the Ukraine, very tall - about 6" 5' and very friendly, but very loud (woke us up being "friendly" with guests almost every morning)

I would have spoken to him immediately about that.

- First full day we leave the cabin. When we come back he tells us he did not clean our cabin because we did not put out the Crusin' sign and we must have it out for him to clean

Could it have been a language issue and he meant he was about to clean your room and if you leave out the Cruisin' sign he will clean those rooms first. What time did you come back?

- That night we had some wine from our carry on bottles and left the room with the glasses. He chastised us telling us that if we took them we would not get any more as he does not have replacements.

That's BS. They can get them from the bar, or you can. On some ships they have a rack of them from the dishwasher so it's no problem.

All the other things, I would have been at the GS desk long before you. I've never seen a steward behave like that.

Could be wrong ... but I thought it was against policy for the cabin steward to be in the cabin with the door closed while a female guest was there. :confused:

I couple of times, I've needed to get something from our cabin when the steward was in the middle of cleaning it. I'd tell him I was just going to be there a minute and to keep on with what he was doing.

Even with the door open, he would also step out of the cabin until I left.

LuLu

~~~~

Could be wrong ... but I thought it was against policy for the cabin steward to be in the cabin with the door closed while a female guest was there. :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

That would seems to be common sense. 99.99 percent of the time just to protect them self from accusations. Majority of the times my cabin doesn't get clean because my kids are in and out. I don't care for them to be disturbed so we take responsibility for straighten up and getting towels as needed.

I couple of times, I've needed to get something from our cabin when the steward was in the middle of cleaning it. I'd tell him I was just going to be there a minute and to keep on with what he was doing.

LuLu

~~~~

I would also expect that it would be against policy to be alone in a cabin with the door shut with a minor or a male pax as well. Think that covers everyone right? Bottom line crew and pax are never supposed to be alone with each other. Even the doc will have a nurse. The hotel director will leave the door open if you are in his office or will most likely speak with you in the open at guest services.

I don't really think the poster you quoted thought it was a bad thing that they never saw the steward.

I don't really think the poster you quoted thought it was a bad thing that they never saw the steward.

Yeah I misunderstood what they meant. I know there are people who love to really get to know their room steward and dining room team. I'm indifferent. I just want good service.

That's would be a dream. Heck my dh could use a wife with those qualities some days. Exactly why do I need to see the stewards if he is doing his job. I don't see the cook either but enjoy his creation, more or less!

At resorts I don't mind seeing the house cleaner because I usually tip extra at the end. I would hate to miss her if it's her day off when I check out. If she is going to be around at check out, I am good with invisible helping hands.

Edited by Blk_Amish

LuLu

~~~~

Same here.

It saddens me to hear you feel a strange male entering a woman's room and shutting the door is ok.

Why would you make up a comment like that???

I indicated your opinion was fine because I agree with you.

But not using a brand because of one low level employee, that is, too me, well, strange.

Sounds like typical behavior from someone from behind the former Iron Curtain. Service in eastern Europe was notorious for being surly and simply bad and this steward grew up in that environment.

That doesn't match my experience. In my current job I work with military officers from Ukraine, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, and several other Eastern European countries, some of whom served before the wall came down. I would not describe any of them as surly or overly attached to rule books. I'm not saying there aren't any out there, but just because the guy is from Eastern Europe doesn't mean he is automatically predisposed to this type of behavior.