Problem with Cabin Steward

tafische

So on my last cruise, I was not thrilled at all with our cabin steward. On every cruise I have been on, they have been great and tirelessly work behind the scenes to make things enjoyable.

What I want to know is if my expectations are unrealistic? Here is what transpired (sorry it is long) --

We met the guy right off. He was from the Ukraine, very tall - about 6" 5' and very friendly, but very loud (woke us up being "friendly" with guests almost every morning)

- First full day we leave the cabin. When we come back he tells us he did not clean our cabin because we did not put out the Crusin' sign and we must have it out for him to clean

- That night we had some wine from our carry on bottles and left the room with the glasses. He chastised us telling us that if we took them we would not get any more as he does not have replacements.

- Next day we go back to the room and there are only three pool towels (4 in the room). We ask for another and he tells us he only replaces towels in the evening and we will have to get one from the towel hut.

- We had no robes in the cabin. When we asked him about it he argued we did. We had no room service menu, when we asked about it he argued we did.

- When we asked about replacement breakfast menus, he told us it was our fault because we were hanging our robes on the hook where he leaves them and he could not tell we were out.

- Third day we come back from Dinner and have NO pool towels in the room. The hut is closed and the kids want to swim. Young daughter starts to cry and says "I dont like him at all!!"

So at this point I have had it and go talk to the service desk. They get me some towels and are a little dumbfounded by what is going on and say they will speak to him. The Hotel Manager also comes by and talks to us.

- Next day my wife is in the room and he knocks and comes in AND closes the door behind him. He proceeds to tell her how it is not his fault that he has rules and they are out of towels, etc - but she is VERY uncomfortable with this guy in the room with the door closed by herself!

- Later when I am there he comes in again and closes the door and tells me all the same thing. I am friendly, tell him I disagree, but shake his hand and tel him I appreciate him coming by (at this point I just wanted him to leave).

So - was I wrong in my expectations from any of this? I have always taken the glasses out of the room. I have always had replacement towels. I have always had plenty of menus. I have NEVER been 'reprimanded' by a cabin steward.

By the way - I didnt dock his tip. I know he has a hard job.

So on my last cruise, I was not thrilled at all with our cabin steward. On every cruise I have been on, they have been great and tirelessly work behind the scenes to make things enjoyable.

What I want to know is if my expectations are unrealistic? Here is what transpired (sorry it is long) --

We met the guy right off. He was from the Ukraine, very tall - about 6" 5' and very friendly, but very loud (woke us up being "friendly" with guests almost every morning)

- First full day we leave the cabin. When we come back he tells us he did not clean our cabin because we did not put out the Crusin' sign and we must have it out for him to clean

- That night we had some wine from our carry on bottles and left the room with the glasses. He chastised us telling us that if we took them we would not get any more as he does not have replacements.

- Next day we go back to the room and there are only three pool towels (4 in the room). We ask for another and he tells us he only replaces towels in the evening and we will have to get one from the towel hut.

- We had no robes in the cabin. When we asked him about it he argued we did. We had no room service menu, when we asked about it he argued we did.

- When we asked about replacement breakfast menus, he told us it was our fault because we were hanging our robes on the hook where he leaves them and he could not tell we were out.

- Third day we come back from Dinner and have NO pool towels in the room. The hut is closed and the kids want to swim. Young daughter starts to cry and says "I dont like him at all!!"

So at this point I have had it and go talk to the service desk. They get me some towels and are a little dumbfounded by what is going on and say they will speak to him. The Hotel Manager also comes by and talks to us.

- Next day my wife is in the room and he knocks and comes in AND closes the door behind him. He proceeds to tell her how it is not his fault that he has rules and they are out of towels, etc - but she is VERY uncomfortable with this guy in the room with the door closed by herself!

- Later when I am there he comes in again and closes the door and tells me all the same thing. I am friendly, tell him I disagree, but shake his hand and tel him I appreciate him coming by (at this point I just wanted him to leave).

So - was I wrong in my expectations from any of this? I have always taken the glasses out of the room. I have always had replacement towels. I have always had plenty of menus. I have NEVER been 'reprimanded' by a cabin steward.

Nope, I would have had a hard time with that too. I probably would have given serious thought to adjusting the auto-tip, also.

Edited by sparks1093

Sounds totally inappropriate. None of the requests that you made were out of the norm. Those should be business as usual type of things. Obviously, I cannot tell the tone or way you asked so I assume you were being polite. Also, I would not feel comfortable at all with my wife alone in the stateroom with the door closed and being spoken to in antagonistic way.

He sounds unreasonable and like a bully. I wouldn't have adjusted the tips either but only because they go to so many other people. I probably wouldn't have made a big fuss while I was still on the ship for fear of repercussions but I sure would write a letter once I was home. Hope you a better steward next time! :(

I probably wouldn't have made a big fuss while I was still on the ship for fear of repercussions

Yeah - that was my big concern as he still had access to our room every day.

Question - Has anyone every requested a different cabin steward? I know they all have assigned rooms, but wonder if that would have been a good course of action.

Question - Has anyone every requested a different cabin steward? I know they all have assigned rooms, but wonder if that would have been a good course of action.

In 29 cruises (25 on Carnival), the answer is no. That being said, while we have had some that were "ok", we never had anything that approached what you experienced. I think I would have mentioned it in the online survey at the end of the cruise.

Twice we have ahd the same room steward on successive crusies. One spanning 7 months and the other 4 months (neither was on the same ship BTW. Luckily, they were great room stewards. Acutally the best two we have had.

Not defending him at all...I think you were right to complain.

But...it sounds like he is "very structured" and cannot veer from "the rules". I think this is common among people from the former Soviet Union (and certain personality types).

I don't think this is the right job for him....

Just by his size I would have been intimated by him...but...that's something he can't help. (I'm short...I am always intimidated by tall people.)

In my opinion .... "YOU" must write a letter to Carnival ..... explain what you just told us. This behavior will be corrected. If it had been me .... I would have gone to Guest Services. And if need be .... buck it all the way up to The Captain.

This behavior has No Place as a Cabin Steward

Edited by flc

I was thinking this as well. I would have made another trip to guest services. Explained at this point I did not feel comfortable with him having access to my cabin and insist upon another steward.

In my opinion .... "YOU" must write a letter to Carnival ..... explain what you just told us. This behavior will be corrected. If it had been me .... I would have gone to Guest Services. And if need be .... buck it all the way up to The Captain.

This behavior has No Place as a Cabin Steward

Well I did have a long cordial talk with the Hotel Manager (Officer in uniform) and he assured me he would take care of it. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he took care of things. I did mark accordingly on my survey.

During our 25+ cruises we've generally had excellent room stewards - a couple that weren't great but only one was a total loser. Forgot to clean our bathroom one night - cleaned the cabin but not the bathroom - we returned to find a pile of dirty towels in the floor.

We only complained that night and someone brought us towels but evidently others complained because he was replaced.

The replacement told us he had left the ship.

Sounds like the exact same cabin steward we had a couple of years ago on the Fantasy but ours wasn't from the Ukraine so not him.

Our cabin steward actually chewed me a new one for taking the glass out of the room and told he me he would have to go to another floor to get another one. Took him 2 days! I would leave notes for things I wanted done, could you please fill the ice bucket because he wasn't, etc. He left me a note saying ... please do not leave me notes.:eek::eek:

I never thought about removing his tips but as I look back now I really should have IMHO because he was the worlds worst steward and I just basically told him it was okay to treat a passenger the way he did by not doing anything about it

Do I think your expectations were too high ... not at all!

Edited by ready2cruzagain

That's definitely not acceptable behavior for a room steward. Closing the door when he was in the room with your wife alone is almost certainly a rule violation for him. I would have spoken with the hotel manager as you did, and this is the rare case where I would have spoken with Guest Services about how to remove tips specifically for him. Normally I would never remove tips, but this is a pretty extreme case!

I think you were too nice! What a jerk! That is not acceptable. And I wouldn't have tipped him. I would have taken all his tip and given it my waiter or something. That is awful. I would have flipped if he had come into the room when I was alone and shut the door. And I think my husband would have had words for him as well!! You sound like you were too nice to him, but GOOD FOR YOU for taking the high road :) I wish I were more like that. So you set a good example :cool: