Sugar Free Cocktails allowed

pamrose228

So I am a diabetic and love my fruity cocktails but cannot drink the mixes with all the sugar. I buy a sugar free cocktail mix prepackaged (like the flavor drinks you put in a water bottle). Love the cosmos, appletini and margarita ones. Will I have an issue bringing these on board (they are boxed, packages of 8, powder form) and will a bartender mix them or should I just ask for straight up vodka and mix myself. TIA

So I am a diabetic and love my fruity cocktails but cannot drink the mixes with all the sugar. I buy a sugar free cocktail mix prepackaged (like the flavor drinks you put in a water bottle). Love the cosmos, appletini and margarita ones. Will I have an issue bringing these on board (they are boxed, packages of 8, powder form) and will a bartender mix them or should I just ask for straight up vodka and mix myself. TIA

it wont be a problem to bring. many people bring them.

it wont be a problem to put in yourself.

I dont think the bartenders should do it. if you got sick for any reason and it was found out that they took what you gave them and put it in a drink (something not from carnival), they could get in trouble. I know that sounds silly but they should not serve you someone that you gave them to put in the drink. too much liability in my opinion

• Like 1

You could order a bottle of Vodka from Bon Voyage and have it in your room.

Great idea....what's a bottle of cheap vodka going for

and how many shots will I get out of a bottle?

Not gonna lie, it's about $60, however, you control how much goes into a drink. DH and I shared a bottle in February on a 5-day cruise and still had left-over.

You could also bring on a 12-pack of Sprite Zero (or whatever sugar-free soda you like) and use that with your Vodka.

I love Vodka and just discovered Crystal Light Liquid Pomtini. So, I used my Vodka, club soda, a lime and two squeezes of the Pomtini. Very good. Oh, and you can order limes from room service (bring ziplocs to put them in and then throw in the fridge in the room). :D

Enjoy.

What brand are the drink mixes that you buy and are they at a liquor store or other store? I am diabetic also and would like to look for them here.

Edited by Mysticks1

I tried Baja Bob's stuff, also after reading reviews here. I found it to be horrible and ended up throwing it all away.

Can i ask what flavors you tried and in what form? Did you shake it up? I am very accustomed to the Splenda taste so that doesn't turn me off. Why did you dislike it?

where did you hear that it turns into pure glucose? My endo told me differently. Said that occasional drinks are acceptable. I only drink on vacation or social situations.

My doctor told me basically the same thing, in moderation that it is okay. I have also been told that red wines are okay (in moderation of course) I have never been much on red wines though so I have yet to try them. I am just trying to stay away from the sugars in things like the margarita mix. Everyone is different though, some things that I can eat with no problems would be a problem for others. I ordered three different flavors of the Go Cocktails to try. I never know how something is going to affect me until I try it a couple of times.

Edited by Mysticks1

Can i ask what flavors you tried and in what form? Did you shake it up? I am very accustomed to the Splenda taste so that doesn't turn me off. Why did you dislike it?

I bought two different types of margarita mix and the mudslides. I tried them all and had a couple other people try them. We all had the same reaction--that they didn't taste like the drinks they were imitating, that the taste was simply bad, and that I just wasted good alcohol with them. I was very disappointed. Back to rumrunners!

I just ordered a bottle of the pina colada mix and mai tai mix.....can I bring these bottles with me? between y husband and i we could use two bottles of alchohol for 8 days in the winter.

prices right now for bon voyage bottles. they went up 5-15 a bottles.

.cruis in. me/info/carnival/alcohol.php

Edited by pamrose228

ACTUALLY, Alcohol usually has the opposite affect on most Diabetics and will tend to lower your blood sugar. Please make sure you have a snack when drinking and monitor your blood sugar closely. ESPECIALLY BEFORE BED:\\

Finding a snack should not be a problem :p

AS for bringing your mixes I don't see why they would not let you make sure you show them there is not any alcohol in them. Have a great cruise and don't forget to pack your glucose monitor;)

I bought two different types of margarita mix and the mudslides. I tried them all and had a couple other people try them. We all had the same reaction--that they didn't taste like the drinks they were imitating, that the taste was simply bad, and that I just wasted good alcohol with them. I was very disappointed. Back to rumrunners!

Unfortunately, I have no choice. i will doctor the up, a little cream makes anything taste good and shake it up....very important.

If you like hurricanes, take some sugar free Hawaiian punch packets, add some lime, maybe a little bit of orange or other citrus juice and add your rum! I'm not diabetic but there's no reason to drink all my calories!

If you like hurricanes, take some sugar free Hawaiian punch packets, add some lime, maybe a little bit of orange or other citrus juice and add your rum! I'm not diabetic but there's no reason to drink all my calories!

Sounds yummy but OJ is a big no no to diabetics...any fruit juice is.

That sounds good.

I use the Crystal Light (and other brands) of the drink mixes. The orange flavor mixed with some ice and coconut rum is awesome. I also like the lemonade mix with ice, diet Sprite, and Tangueray for a pseudo-Tom Collins. The fruit punch mix with ice, diet Sprite and rum is good for a fruity rum punch. I also bring a big Tervis to mix my drinks in and either order from Bon Voyage, or ..... whatever happens to fall into my bag at home and ends up on the ship with me ; X