Renting a car while in port for the day

Goldenfox

Is this a good idea? I mean with regards to traffic and ease of parking?

I believe our ship is docking at Havensight but there'll be quite a few others in port the same day. Are there rental agencies at Havensight? And how is parking availability in Charlotte Amalie?

Also, has anyone been to Morningstar or Bolongo Bay or Limetree Beach? Are they nice as Sapphire or Magen? Easy to access or park?

Thanks for any info!

As far as getting out of the city with a car rental, that's the best place to go. I can't imagine trying to park a car in CA downtown. On the otherhand, the beaches that you mention are easy to drive to and there's plenty of parking at most of them. There will be a LOT of traffic close to town, but when you get out, you'll be fine.

On St Thomas, you will drive on the left side of the road. This happens to be the correct side. ;)

To Goldenfox: The beauty of a beach is in the eye of the beholder. All beaches have supporters and detractors. For example, Morning Star is, in typical weather, a windward beach. That means it may have more wave action than some. Some folks love the action, others, not so much.

All of the places you named have fairly good parking.

We've visited St. Thomas alot. Many people rent cars here. It's not for us. We don't mind driving on the other side of the road (we do it regularly on St. John). But the traffic on St. Thomas can be very heavy; you are on narrow, winding roads, etc. If you are considering going to a beach anyway, I'd recommend taking a taxi to the beach of your choice and skipping the car rental. But that's just me.

ENJOY!

Thank you all for your insight!

We were thinking to do some sightseeing then heading to the beach. I don't mind beaches with waves so thanks for that heads-up. I actually prefer it to dead-calm seas.

Pardon my ignorance, but are all sightseeing vehicles those safari-type (open) trucks?

Host Anne: The roads on St John are just as windy and narrow as on St Thomas. Fewer cars, sure. ;)

The taxis are of three types: the open reconfigured safari trucks, vans and some small cars. Since they get paid per person, there is some market pressure to get as many customers as you can at a time.

One reason to rent a car is to see the beaches and sites you want to see. It would be difficult to get a taxi to take you to Hull Bay, for example. Also, you can beach/bar hop.:D