Price Reduction after Final Payment

elmoalex01

If the price goes down after final payment, what has been your experience? Will NCL change the price and give a refund? Or at least give you the difference in OBC? Thanks!:rolleyes:

No to both. Your best bet is to get an upgrade if higher categories have room and have dropped close or below what you paid. If there are no possible upgrades or you decline one, you might get partial (like 25%) "refund" as OBC but I can't recall reading here that anyone would have gotten the full difference, after final payment there are no obligations to do so by the cruise line.

If the price goes down after final payment, what has been your experience? Will NCL change the price and give a refund? Or at least give you the difference in OBC? Thanks!:rolleyes:

We just noticed this, and contacted our TA right away.

(I'm not sure, but I figured that if our category totally sold out, we might not get anything at all. We certainly wouldn't have the "new lower price" shown as a comparison to cite.)

I had understood from other posts that it was unlikely NCL would give an official refund after final payment, but they might offer an upsell (or free upgrade) or OBC. In our case the next category up sold out long ago, so that wasn't going to be likely.

She got on the phone with NCL, and called back while they were on the line, and we were offered about half the difference in OBC. That's just as good as a refund, in our minds, since we are sure to spend that amount between extra tips (not the prepaid Gratuities), specialty dining, and there were some wines that looked nice.

We've paid for some excursions already, and booked some private ones, but if we even add one more once on board, that will take a chunk out of the OBC.

(We also have some OBC through our TA, so it's adding up. DH was pleasantly surprised ;-)

We were told it was a "final offer", which was fine.

We took it.

(This was about 2 or 3 days ago.)

GeezerCouple

We also got half the difference in OBC and we are happy with that, at least we got something and we know it will be used. It doesnt do any harm to get your TA to call NCL to see what they can do, they were going to offer us an upgrade but we already had a mid ship balcony.

Wow. Wish my cruise prices will drop. It has been rising every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

My NCL booked ones are up as well. But last December (great time to cruise $$ wise) the fare did go down. I was alerted through roll call and our online TA got us an upgraded balcony. I went and looked at the one we'd first had and it was one on the front of the ship with metal not plexiglass and it was a real hike to find it all the way forward. We ended up with a midship balcony that was great. It's worth it to monitor the cost and contact your TA if it goes down.

Wow. Wish my cruise prices will drop. It has been rising every week.

The reason we see so much messages about price reductions now is that Thanksgiving cruises aside, this is the low season with unpredictable weather and the ships do not sail near full capacity like on high season (school vacations, etc) so they drop the prices in order to get more people onboard (most of the profit comes from money spent onboard, not the cruise fare itself). Also there are some itineraries where price drops are quite uncommon year-round, like the Hawai'i itinerary.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been following this thread with interest since my final payment is due on Friday and I had noticed that the price had dropped significantly on our Epic DOS.

I had my TA call NCL yesterday and ask about the price reduction. I expected to have the Rep say that there was nothing that they could/would do. Then I was going to make the final payment and get on with life.

The NCL Rep told my TA that they could adjust my final cost downward but I would lose my $150 OBC. The TA contacted me to see what I wanted to do. I chose to take the reduced fare ($673) over the OBC. When the TA called back, the NCL Rep adviced her that I could take the deduction and still keep the OBC. What a pleasant surprise.

Perhaps it would have been a different story if I had already made my final payment. I don't know....

Ray

It doesn't hurt to call and ask about a cabin upgrade but I do find it funny when people want refunds, as if they would be completely ok with NCL calling them and asking them to pay more since the price went up. :rolleyes:

Cabin upgrades are fair since they're already willing to take a reduced rate for a better cabin anyway, why not transfer me? Regardless, no one should feel cheated if they don't get offered an upgrade or OBC.

The price of our Mid ship balcony never went down but the prices of just about every other category did! I kept in touch with our PCC and we ended up getting a penthouse suite for little extra $$. I still am not sure why the BA Balcony price never went down (it even went up a few times!), but THRILLED beyond belief with the upgrade (upsell).

Our upcoming cruise (3 days!!!) I noticed that my credit card payment for final payment was less than expected - I got an email from our TA (St. Erin!) and she explained that the price had dropped and they got it adjusted and I still got all the OBC expected. I didn't have to do a thing. Sometimes it pays to work with great people:)

I have been following this thread with interest since my final payment is due on Friday and I had noticed that the price had dropped significantly on our Epic DOS.

I had my TA call NCL yesterday and ask about the price reduction. I expected to have the Rep say that there was nothing that they could/would do. Then I was going to make the final payment and get on with life.

The NCL Rep told my TA that they could adjust my final cost downward but I would lose my $150 OBC. The TA contacted me to see what I wanted to do. I chose to take the reduced fare ($673) over the OBC. When the TA called back, the NCL Rep adviced her that I could take the deduction and still keep the OBC. What a pleasant surprise.

Perhaps it would have been a different story if I had already made my final payment. I don't know....

Ray

So you'll send me a present with your savings?

Elaine

The price for a balcony cabin dropped lower than what I paid for an inside on the Epic and I was given a free upgrade to a midship family balcony. No complaints here. Last year on the Pearl, the price for a mini suite dropped to the same price I paid for a balcony and we were given free upgrades as well. I always cruise the first or second week of Dec as that is low season and prices are rock bottom!