No Passport - Documentation

cmhatter

Hi -- I'm cruising on the 23rd and am in a bit of a passport bind.

I was recently married and I waited too long to send out my wife's passport. She has a new social and a new drivers license (she took my last name). We'd use a birth certificate but she was born outside of the US (became a citizen in early 2000s)

We can produce a TON of documents... social card, license, marriage cert, citizenship docs on and on and on. Also -- she is a dual citizen and has a Brazilian passport which I think is a good second option.

I'm going to call to try to get the US passport expedited. Has anyone else been in this situation? Is so, what did you use?

Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking if the marriage is recent she should be able to take her passport and her marriage license. I flew all over Europe that way when I first got married.

Problem is... I've sent her USA passport to get it updated and I have no idea when i'll get it back. It said 4 weeks when I sent it in October but who knows...

I'm not expecting it to arrive on time.

Are you referring to her Brazilian one?

Edited by cmhatter

I can't edit the original message but I should have made it more clear that her USA passport is being 'processed'. We called and they said they have no idea when they will return it.

First, is this a closed loop cruise? If it is, does she have an original certificate of naturalization? I believe that may be sufficient with a driver's license. Be aware, Carnival (and/or Customs and Border Patrol) recently refused boarding to an Ethiopian boy (he was a U.S. citizen, too) recently (story is all over the internet). So, I would check with Carnival and Customs to ensure she has everything she needs to board.

Hi -- I'm cruising on the 23rd and am in a bit of a passport bind.

I was recently married and I waited too long to send out my wife's passport. She has a new social and a new drivers license (she took my last name). We'd use a birth certificate but she was born outside of the US (became a citizen in early 2000s)

We can produce a TON of documents... social card, license, marriage cert, citizenship docs on and on and on. Also -- she is a dual citizen and has a Brazilian passport which I think is a good second option.

I'm going to call to try to get the US passport expedited. Has anyone else been in this situation? Is so, what did you use?

Thanks in advance.

I am assuming this is a closed loop cruise? We used DW's naturalization certificate and drivers license for all of our cruises. We've always brought our marriage license but haven't had to show it.

Thanks for the responses. I'll use naturaliZation + license and marriage cert.

Does anyone know if her Brazilian passport would work too?

Thanks,

Chris

It is my understanding that the US requires US citizens to travel with a US passport, even if they are a dual citizen with another country. I have known a few people that would use their US passport to leave and enter the US and their native country's passport for entering and leaving their native country (which in some cases can facilitate entry into their native country by not requiring visas, etc.). I would suggest further research before doing this.

It is my understanding that the US requires US citizens to travel with a US passport, even if they are a dual citizen with another country. I have known a few people that would use their US passport to leave and enter the US and their native country's passport for entering and leaving their native country (which in some cases can facilitate entry into their native country by not requiring visas, etc.). I would suggest further research before doing this.

That is correct, as a US citizen, you have to leave and enter the country as a US citizen. Always causes confusion for me when I reenter the US after going to the UK, it is quicker to use my UK passport when entering the UK, but when coming back to the US, there is no stamps in my passport, it looks like I never went anywhere. A quick flash of my UK passport to immigration always explains this.

As far as the op goes then an original Naturalization Certificate is all that is needed, as long as the name on it matches the name on the booking.

That is correct, as a US citizen, you have to leave and enter the country as a US citizen. Always causes confusion for me when I reenter the US after going to the UK, it is quicker to use my UK passport when entering the UK, but when coming back to the US, there is no stamps in my passport, it looks like I never went anywhere. A quick flash of my UK passport to immigration always explains this.

As far as the op goes then an original Naturalization Certificate is all that is needed, as long as the name on it matches the name on the booking.

The names won't match -- License has new last name, marriage cert has new last name -- naturalization has maiden name.

If it were me, I'd just bring everything...

Brazilian passport (maiden name, right?) + naturalization cert (maiden name) + Marriage certificate (should have both names her maiden & your surname) + new DL (married name).. that would clearly show the "history", and would eliminate any potential issues, I would think.

I am a US citizen, and before I had my passport, I brought my birth cert + 1st marriage + divorce + 2nd marriage + DL... I was only ever asked for my DL & BC (my maiden is now my middle though, so maybe that made it clear).. but I always had everything.. just in case!

Maybe things will work out and her passport will arrive in time! (I wonder if there might be a delay due to "back log" from during the shutdown though?)

Good Luck!

First, is this a closed loop cruise? If it is, does she have an original certificate of naturalization? I believe that may be sufficient with a driver's license. Be aware, Carnival (and/or Customs and Border Patrol) recently refused boarding to an Ethiopian boy (he was a U.S. citizen, too) recently (story is all over the internet). So, I would check with Carnival and Customs to ensure she has everything she needs to board.

This child had no proof of US citizenship. Foreign adoption does not automatically grant US citizenship.

OP, it might be worth a visit to a Customs office and not relaying on those whose experience in staying at a Holiday Inn Express.

The names won't match -- License has new last name, marriage cert has new last name -- naturalization has maiden name.

She wont need a license, the Naturalization certificate is considered photo ID, she can use that and the marriage cert as a bridge, or book cruise in maiden name

She wont need a license, the Naturalization certificate is considered photo ID, she can use that and the marriage cert as a bridge, or book cruise in maiden name

While a Naturalization certificate does have a photo on it that does not mean that it is a photo ID. Here's what getyouhome.gov says:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

This child had no proof of US citizenship. Foreign adoption does not automatically grant US citizenship.

OP, it might be worth a visit to a Customs office and not relaying on those whose experience in staying at a Holiday Inn Express.

Family said he did and Carnival refunded their full cruise fare. Regardless, that wasn't the point of my earlier post. My point was - ensure you have the proper documentation - geesh.

Family said he did and Carnival refunded their full cruise fare. Regardless, that wasn't the point of my earlier post. My point was - ensure you have the proper documentation - geesh.

And mine was, what is posted here is not reliable, vetted or always accurate.