NCL Customer Service

sowhynot

Do you think the customer service people are in India perhaps. I tried talking to someone last week who had difficulty communicating with me about my credit card. It seems all the telephone jobs are being shipped there. Just wondering.

We had a wonderful cruise on NCL Dawn last December and really loved the freestyle dining. It was nice to have the option of the formal Venetian Dining Room if in the mood--or casual intimate dining elsewhere at any number of restaurants. Hope you enjoy it. We unfortunately had a horrible cruise on RCI Legend of the SEas in Hawaii in March. It was our worst cruise ever. I am very easy going, but it seemed like I was at the Purser's Desk everyday with another problem. Not fun when you are sailing for ten days. We were never so happy to get to San Diego and board a plane for the east coast. We had turbulents the whole way home, but didn't care because at least we weren't on that cruise--soon to be forgotten I hope. Good Luck and hope you enjoy NCL. We loved it so much that we already booked NCL Spirit for Thanksgiving 2006.

I'm sure this has been beaten to death in other posts, but I can't find a thread along these lines:

How come the staff on the ships (for the most part) are so wonderful and the corporate Customer Service staff seems to be lacking?

I'll give you a couple of cases in point:

1. I called trying to find the number of "formal" nights for our 15 day Panama Canal cruise. Got varying answers but the bottom line was "we're free style cruising and don't have formal nights unless you want to." Now I know that is technically correct but generally they have a voluntary formal night or more than 1 and wanted to know what to pack. When pressed the agent said there is only 1. Other people on the same cruise (via roll call) have had differing answers.

2. The one that set me off today and prompted the post was the fact that it took 3 phone calls, a total of nearly an hour on hold (the last call I was on hold for 25 minutes until someone answered) to correctly purchase in advance a soda card and teen package. The first time (even when I told them I was on the 15 day cruise) the email confirmation was only for a 7 day cruise. Called back - they supposedly corrected it - and were to email a confirmation. No email.

So...the 3rd phone call, with the very long wait they had fabricated some email address (how, who knows, I got the first confirmation) which is why they said I didn't get the confirmation. I asked, politely, if they could stay on the phone with me until I got the email since I didn't particularly want to have a 4th call with a long wait time. Answer - no, they have other calls to answer and can't wait on hold with me. Excuse me, I've been waiting for 25 minutes and you can't wait for a minute to make sure I get it. They put me on hold - and cut me off.

I did receive the email and it does appear correct, but this certainly wouldn't make me want to take NCL had I not previously been on board.

From reading other posts I know that people have had similar experiences. Yes, I know there are really good people that do answer the phones but my luck in the last week has not been good. Sorry this is so long but...

How can we get corporate to address their PR problem with their US 800 number representatives.

Cecilia; I knew I would have the info on my cruise docs; I still do not have them and I cruise on 8/6, but I wanted to know know to let my family know, so I would not forget to give them this info.

The point is, NCL staff should have this info very handy to them and I should not have had to wait 15 minutes to get an answer. Again, an example of poorly trained customer service; I am sure others call them with this question and they should have it close to them.

My point is that it took me less than one minute to find the information you needed on the NCL web site. Looking there first would have saved you 14 minutes and yet another bad customer service experience for you.

Celia you just don't understand. For some people it is more important to call customer service and wait on the line for some time. Then you have something to complain about and post about on this board. Taking one minute to go to the NCL website and get the information just does not bring that same sense of satisfaction.

Although I understand your point about getting easy facts on the Web site and I agree, please know that limitations to the Web site and sometimes going through the Web site is the reason some have to call customer service in the first place. I always try to go through the Web if possible, but when I booked my shore excursions through their online form they didn't go through (and didn't for many other people). Then when I sent an email to the shore excursion email address that is promoted by NCL as a resource, I never got a response. So, sometimes there is no choice except to call. As of today I do not have my cruise documents for my cruise next weekend so I will probably have to call them again on Monday. It would be nice to be able to go online and see the status of my documents or email someone to get a response, but since this isn't possible, I must call. For situations like this where you've been patient but now need to speak with someone, it can be frustrating to wait on hold for over an hour.

I know that NCL is upgrading their Web capabilities. Their FAQ section was very comprehensive and helpful to me as a previous cruiser but first time NCL cruiser, and I hope they wil be able to build on their interactive Web capabilities-like booking shore excursions real time, seeing more info in your profile like things you've ordered and status of your docs, and being able to have questions answered email within a few days. This would also alleviate the number of people who have to call in. When I have been on hold the reps have apologized for the wait time which was much appreciated. In any case I am still looking forward to my cruise next weekend!

I did not know I could get the number on-line; as I mentioned before I knew I could get them from the cruise docs which I have not gotten yet and I cruise n 8/6. I did not want to forget to get the number, since once before my Mom had a stroke and I had to disembark and take an emergency flight to Chicago.

Personally, I am getting sick of the tone of a lot of the posters and as a result I will not longer post.

Thanks for the tips, but I do not like a lot of the audience. They will support NCL no matter what; if someone has a negative comment, that person has to be wrong. Of course there is a small segment of people who are fair.

The moderator seems to like NCL so much that she does not want to hear anything negative and I do think she has an opinion but I think she has a great way of discouraging posters. I posted yesterday re: how I did not think people should be treated poorly since they had a negative report and had not posted before and that post was taken off.

Anyway I am off this board for good.

Hope you all will have a wonderful future cruise and I will not be posting my info re: my cruise; do not want to hear from Cecilia anymore!

I did not know I could get the number on-line; as I mentioned before I knew I could get them from the cruise docs which I have not gotten yet and I cruise n 8/6. I did not want to forget to get the number, since once before my Mom had a stroke and I had to disembark and take an emergency flight to Chicago.

Personally, I am getting sick of the tone of a lot of the posters and as a result I will not longer post.

Thanks for the tips, but I do not like a lot of the audience. They will support NCL no matter what; if someone has a negative comment, that person has to be wrong. Of course there is a small segment of people who are fair.

The moderator seems to like NCL so much that she does not want to hear anything negative and I do think she has an opinion but I think she has a great way of discouraging posters. I posted yesterday re: how I did not think people should be treated poorly since they had a negative report and had not posted before and that post was taken off.

Anyway I am off this board for good.

Hope you all will have a wonderful future cruise and I will not be posting my info re: my cruise; do not want to hear from Cecilia anymore!

Celia has been very patient and provided you with a lot of useful info (as have other posters) - it is a pity you don't appreciate that. Personally I have had to deal with NCL customer service twice and had good experiences. Do I think everyone has a good experience - of course not.

But what bothers me about your complaints is not the complaints themselves (which seem reasonably valid) but rather your "let me do my best to create a situation to complain about by not trying to find any alternative ways to get the info I need" and your need that everyone on this board validate with unconditional support your lack of initiative. You had sufficient initiative to seek out this board to vent your frustrations - perhaps this initiative would have been better directed to actually avoiding frustrating situations.

Personally I regard a call to a cruiseline Customer Support as a last resort when I have questions that cannot be resolved elsewhere (my TA, the cruiseline website, boards like this one). Obviously You have a different view.

Although I understand your point about getting easy facts on the Web site and I agree, please know that limitations to the Web site and sometimes going through the Web site is the reason some have to call customer service in the first place. I always try to go through the Web if possible, but when I booked my shore excursions through their online form they didn't go through (and didn't for many other people). Then when I sent an email to the shore excursion email address that is promoted by NCL as a resource, I never got a response. So, sometimes there is no choice except to call. As of today I do not have my cruise documents for my cruise next weekend so I will probably have to call them again on Monday. It would be nice to be able to go online and see the status of my documents or email someone to get a response, but since this isn't possible, I must call. For situations like this where you've been patient but now need to speak with someone, it can be frustrating to wait on hold for over an hour.

I know that NCL is upgrading their Web capabilities. Their FAQ section was very comprehensive and helpful to me as a previous cruiser but first time NCL cruiser, and I hope they wil be able to build on their interactive Web capabilities-like booking shore excursions real time, seeing more info in your profile like things you've ordered and status of your docs, and being able to have questions answered email within a few days. This would also alleviate the number of people who have to call in. When I have been on hold the reps have apologized for the wait time which was much appreciated. In any case I am still looking forward to my cruise next weekend!

Turnip: Your points are all good - sometimes you HAVE to call Customer Service and then it is annoying to be put on hold etc. You have hit the nail right on the head - it is quite likely that people with issues that can only resolved by talking to CS are being put on hold while CS reps answers calls for info that could have easily been obtained elsewhere. BTW I love your idea about NCL upgrading their website so that we could easily check the status of things like shore excursion requests and docs. There seems to be no consistency about when docs arrive - my first cruise with NCL - they did not arrive until barely a week before we were to leave but on my last cruise they arrived weeks before we left. I hope all goes well and that you have a lovely cruise.

The moderator seems to like NCL so much that she does not want to hear anything negative and I do think she has an opinion but I think she has a great way of discouraging posters. Anyway I am off this board for good.

It's your choice to leave the board. However, if you read several of my posts to you, you'll see that I've said over and over that I hope you have a great cruise and I don't want you to set yourself up for a bad cruise. Everytime I've said that, you've ignored it. You've also taken offense anytime anyone has disagreed with you; not just me. This board is a great source of information and in telling you that I found the information you needed in less than a minute by looking at the web site should have been helpful information to you instead of you getting upset about it. It should be helpful for you to know that you can get important information from the web site without having to call customer service. I guess you'd rather give yourself more headaches instead of finding the easier way. You're not cruising for three weeks. There's plenty of time to get the information you need if you look for it or be patient and wait for it.

Second, I don't know why you say I don't want to hear anything negative about NCL. Offering you tips and advice on how to make things easier has nothing to do with NCL. I've been more than fair when trying to offer support for your trip and hope it's not a bad one. But you always shoot my positive words down. Read the board. You'll see TONS of negative things about NCL and you'll also see where I've bent over backwards to keep the negative stuff on this board so everyone can read it. Maybe you don't want to hear from me anymore because I'm offering you good advice and tips and you'd rather make it harder on yourself and have a bad cruise? Who knows?

I regard a call to a cruiseline Customer Support as a last resort when I have questions that cannot be resolved elsewhere (my TA, the cruiseline website, boards like this one).

This reflects my sentiments exactly. Whenever I contact the Customer Service Dept. of any organization and am told where the information can be found (on their website or in printed material provided to me), I always feel quite foolish for not having used the primary sources that are available to the company's customers. So, I try to do research of my own, using the tools at hand, before phoning NCL's CSR number -- and then I begin my question to the CSR by identifying the sources I've already reviewed. This enables a good CSR to immediately move beyond the standard patter and, in solving the issue at had, we become partners of a sort. CSRs are most effective at helping those who have been more enterprising and resourceful than simply dialing an '800' number every time a question arises.

Thanks kewlguy and Zeno. :)

This reflects my sentiments exactly. Whenever I contact the Customer Service Dept. of any organization and am told where the information can be found (on their website or in printed material provided to me), I always feel quite foolish for not having used the primary sources that are available to the company's customers. So, I try to do research of my own, using the tools at hand, before phoning NCL's CSR number -- and then I begin my question to the CSR by identifying the sources I've already reviewed. This enables a good CSR to immediately move beyond the standard patter and, in solving the issue at had, we become partners of a sort. CSRs are most effective at helping those who have been more enterprising and resourceful than simply dialing an '800' number every time a question arises.
I agree with you 100%. And I do this too. I hate calling customer service for any company. It usually involves a long wait on hold and I often feel like they're talking down to me for asking what may be a basic question. Just last Friday I spent 47 minutes on hold with my health insurance company being passed from department to department ending up back at the first department I called at the end of the 47 minutes. I hung up at that point and I still don't have my problem resolved. And before calling I'd gone to the web site to the FAQ and I got out my health plan book and looked for the answer there. As a last resort I called.

I don't understand why some people would take 5-10 minutes typing a response/reply or question when that time could have been used to get the answer by searching a little.

Before you flame me, I DO IT TOO, I'm not sure if it's human nature or the idea you are getting personal service by speaking with someone.

I find myself asking questions on this baord sometimes to just be part of the community of posters. I will say that lately (because of threads like this), I tend to search before asking. But, it is also fun to hear what others have to say about what you want to know.

There are a lot of funny, informative, interesting people on these boards. There are also some who like to take things and turn them into spats or need to prove each and every point until the thread gets away from the original intent of the OP.

I happen to think Host Cecilia does a great job and allows things that if I were host might not.

I also think we need to thank our hosts more often for what they do here.

On my first NCL cruise, in July 2002 in the Norwegian Sea, I had a blast. Loved the idea of freestyle cruising. Then we went on the Dawn last year (April 2004). Different story. Service was not as good as on the NCL Sea, perhaps because it is a bigger ship and more people to serve? I don't know. The biggest thing was that in February of this year, I booked a 10-night Caribbean cruise on the Norwegian Spirit for April 2006. We were so excited about this. Then in April, I found out (through looking at the ship on the NCL website) that our itinerary was cancelled. My travel agent had not been notified of this information, and when I called NCL, they were less than courteous in their responses to me. I was told that the Bahamas/Florida itinerary was more popular and had a higher demand so they changed it. I asked when they did that and the guy on the phone told me they changed it 4 weeks before that. My travel agent was not notified (she works for Liberty Travel, a very large national company) and neither were we. Yet NCL had no problem keeping our deposit of over $1,000 without even telling us our cuise was cancelled! They did not switch us to any other booking, and it took a while for us to get our deposit back. My first attempt to resolve this issue was writing to NCL through email but I got no response after waiting 2 weeks for one. Then, I called customer service and spent a week trying to ask them about this and to see if they would do anything for us for our inconvenience, since we always travel with a very large group, who were also booked on the same cruise. They said the only thing they were doing was giving a $50 onboard credit for booking a different itinerary that same week. I told them this was unsatisfactory and the woman seemed to understand when I explained (very politely of course, as I am a lady) that we did not want to book another Bahamas cruise, as our last two, as they can check in their records, were both to the Bahamas. Those were the only two available that week out of NY, and since we have a baby who will be 15 months old next April, flying is just too much and also costs too much. So I inquired about going in July instead, and she referred me to a different woman. She told me the woman would call me "later today before 5:30PM." I did not hear from her, so I called her extension and left a voice mail. Well, that was in April and it is now the middle of July and I have yet to hear from her. I tried to leave messages on later dates and then gave up out of pure frustration. We are now just about ready to book our next cruise for July 22, 2006 on the Spirit, 8-night to the Caribbean out of NY. While I look forward to this cruise very much, I am also having mixed feelings. One is that I hope they keep the itinerary as is and do not change it again, especially without notifying us, and the second is that I think they should do something for us, like an upgrade. I am now having to pay $150 more for my 8-night cruise than I would have had to pay for the same cabin category for a 10-night cruise. That seems unfair to me.

Can anyone tell me if there is someone I can call or something I can do to help my own situation?

I think that the problem here is that the NCL Customer service staff might not be working as together as they should be. Everyone seems to want to transfer you to someone else so that they don't have to deal with the problem themselves, or perhaps it's because, like the rep here said, turnover for these employees is very high and they are not as properly trained as they should be or they are just new at this. I am not sure what the true issue here is, but there are issues and I think we would all appreciate it is we could just get a straight answer to our questions. One thing though, no one was rude to me on the phone when I talked to them. They all spoke politely and did not raise their voices at me. Well, they had not reason to anyway. I do not yell at customer service reps or blame them for something that appears to be the fault of the cruiseline. They are called representatives because that is just what they are...they don't make the rules, they are just hired to inform us of them. But seriously I think we deserve something for shelling out more money for a shorter cruise and for our trouble.

-Bonnie

Hi,

I read all postings (and some similar threads too) and I have that feeling, that NCL Customer Service in Europe, esp. in Germany is much more efficient.

I am very surprised about that (mostly we were told wonderful things about american customer service....and that the germans are unfriendly and rude...and have no idea about service...)

I have no big problems with my booking - but if I had a question (and perhaps you remember - I booked with a TA in US) and I am to lazy to wait for an email answer from my TA, I call NCL Germany. I really had no problem to receive any information regarding my reservation. I just give my NCL confirmation number and they provided all informations I requested. Very friendly, very nice, very fast and always from the first person I had on the phone. No "please hold the line", no "you will be connected as fast as possible". And it seems: Every person I spoke with had first hand informations. I had the impression: they know their "product".

Greetings

Wendy

bangzoom6877:

I can fully appreciate your frustration. You seem to be doing just about all that you can. (BTW you have said what I have long suspected that when things seem to get lost in Customer Service la-la land, poor communcations are probably responsible). This seems to be a recurring CS problem with other cruiselines as well. The only thing I can think of is that you might try sending on email with your problems to Colin Veitch (his email address has been posted here a couple of times - so if you do a search you should find it.)

Nothing may come of it but I think it's worth a try. NCL may not HAVE to give you more compensation but personally I think changing a whole itinerary (without good reason) is a lot more significant than just changing one port and therefore it is perfectly legitimate for you to hope for more compensation.

Your travel agent should also be acting as your advocate with NCL and should be bugging them on your behalf for this.

Good Luck !

You make some excellent points. My own negative experience (thus far) with NCL customer service certainly appears to support the popular view on this thread. Nevertheless, I can fully appreciate that poor customer service could come from any cruise line from time to time. Looking at the massive volume of calls and callers, the occasional problem is an inevitability. It just seemed to me that my own personal experience tended to weigh in against NCL. But who knows; my next dealings with NCL (or Princess, or RCCL) may speak to an entirely different outcome. Anyway, my minor issues have been resolved, largely thanks to information from the boards, and I am confident that the cruise itself will be spectacular!

Thanks for your insights,

Air Canada stew

I cruise on the Pride of America on 8/6/05 and I will let you know!

Certainly Celebrity is catering to the masses and making a lot of money and my one time with them was not great; so sure, some cruise lines would cater to the those who are not too particular and want a low price, I guess.

I thought I booked with a 4.5 or 5 star ship; we will see if it proves to be the case; if not, I will chose another cruise line since this is the top for them and if they can not do better, I know other cruise lines that have excellent service and I will pay more! I want a 4 or 5 star experience; I would not go to 6 star because it costs so much; plus I have a child. Most 6 stars are for adults only.

Honest answer!

You won't get 4.5 - 5 stars on NCL so don't set yourself up for disappointment. Having said that I enjoy them very much. Have a very pleasant time, appreciate the ships designs, crews and cabins.

I'm not sure what rating system we are dealing with here, 1 of 5, 1 of 6, 1 of 10. very subjective in the least. But after reading all the posts here, if someone is going on board with pie in the sky expectations, they may be setting themselves up for disappointment no matter what

I'm hoping to make the best of whatever. I'm going to be on board with the family I love, hopefully we'll meet some nice people and hopefully won't get sidetracked by negativity, There's no cooking, cleaning or cares. The ship looks magnificent. The crew sounds (from the reviews) like they want to make things enjoyable. I'm sure the food will be fine. Probably not the best possible but close enough to whet my appetite. The entertainment will beat watching TV.

I think I can deal with that! :D

Honest Answer

Zeno, I searched and could not find Colin Veitch's email address. I think I will start a thread asking people. Maybe that will help. I wonder if there is any other way to get in touch with him, maybe if I call NCL and they can give me a mailing address. Only problem with that, is that I feel they will only forward the mail to someone that, once again, does not know what they are talking about and cannot help me and gives me the number to a person who cannot help me either. Then I am running in circles again.

Yes, they changed not only the whole itinerary, but the dates too! And they have a 10-night cruise on the Dawn at that time, which we would have done as an alternative, but it leaves on a Sunday and I have to be back at work the following Monday and cannot take 3 days off for a cruise (I'm a teacher). I have to work it around Spring break. The least they could have done was offer a Bahamas/Florida 7-night itinerary and also the 10-night Caribbean one so that they could please everyone that week. But no, they didn't do that so now we go in July 2006 on a cruise that is shorter by 2 nights and pay more!

Bonnie

Thank you, I emailed him!! I hope this helps. It was worth a shot anyway. Does anyone have a phone number besides the general one to NCL, where you can actually get an answer and talk to someone higher up than a regular representative? I suppose that's worth a shot too.

Bonnie

Oh my gosh I need vent on this one. Many years ago NCL had a program called Embark. This was from back in the 1980's. I signed up and have a card for it. Well as NCL came into the 90's they changed to a new card, the Lattitudes card. So one day I called NCL and told them that I had an embark card and wondered if I could transfer my information to the Lattutides card. At first this lady did not know what a embark card was. Then she told me to send the information in with the card to a certain address. That was 3 years ago and I never heard back from them. Thank goodness I kept the card and just sent a copy of the card.

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Anything can and does have occasional hiccups, some avoidable but the majority not so. NCL do try and sort things out, sometimes you need patience and understanding. Afterall alot of the problems are due to passenger numbers increasing over the years. 10 years ago the average number per ship was 1500, thesedays its well into 3000+. A fleet as large as NCL or Carnival or P & O means a hell of alot of people to deal with and with the best will in the world sometimes communication does go slightly pearshaped occasionally. NCL are no worse than any other company of its size, regardless of which company or what they do, customer services will never be good enough for some people. At least NCL haven't plonked their CS in India yet, believe me if they had then you might have valid complaint more often. Be patient and be aware that despite everything you really aren't the only person asking a question, the CS people are doing their best and they will sort out things just as soon as they can. Contrary to what you might think is a simple problem, they might have systems in place that have to be followed and it only takes one link in that system chain to be busy or away sick or whatever and that is when the chain is broken and delays occur.

Complain if you must about really major things, but the more trivial problems like not enough towels in the bathroom etc that are put through the system, the more time real problems like lost baggage or illness aboard etc will take.

The CS departments of airlines, cruiselines, home appliance depts etc etc are overloaded with complaints they have no answer to or are unable to deal with as there is no way to deal with them. So when you fill your complaint form in, just stop and think if the line actually had any control over it. In respect to missed ports the lines do place a disclaimer into their terms and conditions sent to TA's, and that does state that ports of call may be missed due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances. Any compensation you receive in respect to a missed port is a gesture of goodwill, not mandatory.

Oh my gosh I need vent on this one. Many years ago NCL had a program called Embark. This was from back in the 1980's. I signed up and have a card for it. Well as NCL came into the 90's they changed to a new card, the Lattitudes card. So one day I called NCL and told them that I had an embark card and wondered if I could transfer my information to the Lattutides card. At first this lady did not know what a embark card was. Then she told me to send the information in with the card to a certain address. That was 3 years ago and I never heard back from them. Thank goodness I kept the card and just sent a copy of the card.

Well, if you would've asked me about an Emark card I wouldn't know what you were speaking of either. I've only known of NCL's Latitude club, nothing else, but then again I'm still under 28 :eek: If this Embark program was NCL's old past guest program then I would assume everything would transfer over when they changed the name to Latitudes, JMO. Maybe you can call NCL's Latitudes Desk:confused:

Well, if you would've asked me about an Emark card I wouldn't know what you were speaking of either. I've only known of NCL's Latitude club, nothing else, but then again I'm still under 28 :eek: If this Embark program was NCL's old past guest program then I would assume everything would transfer over when they changed the name to Latitudes, JMO. Maybe you can call NCL's Latitudes Desk:confused:

Don't assume anything :) As a owner of an Embark card I can assure you almost nobody at NCL today will have any idea what it is. I am not sure there is any "data" to transfer. Long gone 5 software platforms ago.

Embark for the most part was manual. You filled out a paper application and got your card. If you lost it you started over. I doubt there was any database the stored your cruises.

Look what people go thru to demonstrate they cruised before. Pictures, copies of luggage tags, or docs. There is no way if you give them the ship, date, cabin number they seem to be able to pull out your "past" records.

Current systems may be better and they will have to be if as posted NCL plans to lauch an enhanced Lattitudes program. It will be interesting when and if they do it how many of our cruises will be credited.

Archived