NCL Customer Service

sowhynot

I'm not defending NCL here, but don't you think that's their goal? It's obviously not always achieved, but do you have a reason to believe that they're aiming for mediocrity?

We haven't received a detailed follow-up from NCL Corporate yet about our "experience" on the Dream, but, since you ASKED...

On our June 20th Cruise on the Dream, guests were told, when filling out their guest satisfaction surveys at the end of the cruise... "If you've ENJOYED something, then please mark it EXCELLENT... If you think we can improve, then mark it GOOD or VERY GOOD" :eek:

When ENJOYED means EXCELLENT, then yes, I, personally, believe that's "AIMING FOR MEDIOCRITY"

If you don't believe this is their policy, check your FREESTYLE DAILIES on the second to last night.

Again, this has NOTHING TO DO with our NIGHTMARE on the DREAM and we're giving NCL Corporate time to resolve our issues, so I'm going to be on my best posting behavior until then, but this, I couldn't resist. :p

**BTW: This response is about NCL generally... ALL DEPARTMENTS.

We haven't received a detailed follow-up from NCL Corporate yet about our "experience" on the Dream, but, since you ASKED...

On our June 20th Cruise on the Dream, guests were told, when filling out their guest satisfaction surveys at the end of the cruise... "If you've ENJOYED something, then please mark it EXCELLENT... If you think we can improve, then mark it GOOD or VERY GOOD" :eek:

When ENJOYED means EXCELLENT, then yes, I, personally, believe that's "AIMING FOR MEDIOCRITY"

If you don't believe this is their policy, check your FREESTYLE DAILIES on the second to last night.

I believe you because I seem to recall something very similar on my past NCL cruises. But I disagree with your assessment. I don't agree with their definition of "Excellence" completely, either. If I enjoyed something, it's certainly above mediocrity, but I do see your point that their grading system may not be as demanding as it should be. Keep in mind that, according to their instructions, if you think they can improve, it wouldn't be rated "Excellent." That means that you would only rate it "Excellent" if you couldn't come up with any suggestions for improvement. I wouldn't define that as aiming for mediocrity.

Glad I've found this thread, as I've been sitting here really annoyed with no place to shout my annoyance :mad:

I booked to go on 10th August on NCL Jewel, the "MAIDEN VOYAGE". This was a big thing for us, and the main reason for selecting NCL over the likes of Royal Carribean, who were doing a similar (and slightly cheaper) cruise round the Med.

However, 2 weeks ago, I received an e-mail advertising two 2 day cruises starting 6th August. So my cruise isn't in-fact a Maiden Voyage at all anymore.

I was annoyed, and went seeking an apology (at least) from NCL.

What I got was complete denial!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

"There are no such 2 day cruises sir"

"These cruises are for crew only, not paying passengers"

"No no no. You're mistaken. That must be another ship"

"Oh that's not us. That'll be NCL in the UK. If they choose to run a cruise before the Maiden Voyage that's up to them!"

"Talk to your Travel Agent. Nothing to do with us"

"You're mistaken sir"

So I rang to book, and wait for it, was offered the same room I've booked for the 10th!!!

So NCLCSR, what have you got to say about that?!

My other problem is that my wife's ticket is in the name of Kay rather than Fay, and they've changed it electronically, but won't re-issue the e-tickets!

From what I've read on this thread, I can see her being left at Dover at this rate!!!

Like a few other people on this thread, I haven't sailed with NCL as yet, but the experience has been severely tarnished before I even board.

Dan

Glad I've found this thread, as I've been sitting here really annoyed with no place to shout my annoyance :mad:

I booked to go on 10th August on NCL Jewel, the "MAIDEN VOYAGE". This was a big thing for us, and the main reason for selecting NCL over the likes of Royal Carribean, who were doing a similar (and slightly cheaper) cruise round the Med.

However, 2 weeks ago, I received an e-mail advertising two 2 day cruises starting 6th August. So my cruise isn't in-fact a Maiden Voyage at all anymore.

"Oh that's not us. That'll be NCL in the UK. If they choose to run a cruise before the Maiden Voyage that's up to them!"

"You're mistaken sir"

So I rang to book, and wait for it, was offered the same room I've booked for the 10th!!!

My other problem is that my wife's ticket is in the name of Kay rather than Fay, and they've changed it electronically, but won't re-issue the e-tickets!

From what I've read on this thread, I can see her being left at Dover at this rate!!!

Like a few other people on this thread, I haven't sailed with NCL as yet, but the experience has been severely tarnished before I even board.

Dan

I was booked onto the 8-10 August inaugural shakedown on Jewel about a month ago, had cabin number etc issued within 24hrs. The mini cruises are just to make sure the toilets flush and for TA's and guests to take a look at everything, every new/refitted liner has these cruises to nowhere type exercises. It helps the crew settle into a routine aswell, not to mention they can get their bearings aboard the new ship.

Usually these cruises are for TA's only but not always, the two shakedowns are open to the public on Jewel which is good cos then the crew can get a real taste of things to come.

My cabin is G8086 and I am looking forward to the trip as it will be a practice run for my big cruise over Christmas.

***update, just had email from NCL confirming cabin change from 8086 to 8064.

Your cruise is in fact a maiden voyage. As someone else said, the short cruises they do before the innaugural are not like a regular cruise. Many of the bugs are still being worked out on those one and two day cruises. You're never going to be the first to sail on the ship. If we go by your standards then the sea trials are the maiden voyage. And what kind of apology were you looking for? They're sorry for doing a few short cruises in order to make your cruise expereince better?
NCLCSR is a member here just like everyone else. Please don't use this board as an official outlet to someone that works for NCL. I her original post she said that she wanted to post in order to give some general feedback on CS people in general and not address specific concerns that should be taken to NCL.

It's a shame that you're letting something so common as a two day shakedown cruise ruin what could have been a great experience.

Every single ship has several 2-day inaugurals... if you're on the first revenue cruise (which you are), you're on the maiden voyage.

As a former TA, I can assure you - all the mainstream lines have the same CSR issues. Onboard service is a completely different entity.

"You're mistaken sir"

Dan

I know Cecelia already has said it, but let me re-inerate; you arer on her maiden voyage; If there were trial runs God only knows what might happen when you actually sail her. Have often have you seen a local restaurant advertise opening night specials? Well you can be sure that was not the first night they served meals. The did some practicing for a few days or weeks before the doors were official opened. It does appear you may be looking for problems that do not exist and if you are, indeed your cruise will be ruined. How Sad. good luck and try to put the negatives out of your mind so you can come back and share your wonderful sailing expereince with the rest of us. NMNita

ps even with the short trial runs, you may experience a few glitches. We expect on our Sept sailing. It sometimes takes time to iron our the wrinkles, but we will not let that stop us from having a wonderful time.

dspencer

Ever go to opening night on Broadway. How many "dress rehersals" do you think they performed before that special night.

Hopefully when you board the crew will know all their "lines" and the madian voyage will be a joy.

This thread is digressing...

My intent for the OP was how to call this problem (of inconsistent and bad PR from customer service) to the attention of management at NCL.

As I've said before, I like NCL. I've had great service on board. They're really doing themselves a disservice by having their "front door" so to speak manned by people who are not fully trained in customer service.

So...to restate the question, how do we get management's attention about this?

This thread is digressing...

My intent for the OP was how to call this problem (of inconsistent and bad PR from customer service) to the attention of management at NCL.

As I've said before, I like NCL. I've had great service on board. They're really doing themselves a disservice by having their "front door" so to speak manned by people who are not fully trained in customer service.

So...to restate the question, how do we get management's attention about this?

Not here - It is nice we can share concerns with each other but if you have details of a problem or more important any suggestions to improve CS write, email,call or fax NCL.

My rule - No sense compaining unless the person you are complaining to can do something about it.

Not here - It is nice we can share concerns with each other but if you have details of a problem or more important any suggestions to improve CS write, email,call or fax NCL.

My rule - No sense compaining unless the person you are complaining to can do something about it.

I'm not calling (too long of a hold time) to whom should I write or fax?

originally posted by NCLCSR

*I'm sorry for the guests who feel like they're always being given different answers. We do strive for consistency, but I guess that's always a work in progress for a large corporation. Please take names and notes for all conversations, as this will assist us both when trying to confirm "who said what." *We do not make the rules regarding cancellation penalties, itinerary changes, etc. We're happy to try to help you reach resolution when you feel a matter needs to be escalated, but yelling at us really won't make the rules change, honestly! :)

My main problems with NCL Customer service is that you do not get consistant answers from the CS department. You say, "We do strive for consistency, but I guess that's always a work in progress for a large corporation." Maybe I'm simplifying but I don't see why it should be so difficult. Does NCL have compnay policies about things, simple things like bringing alcohol on board, corkage fees for wine, minimumage requirements for kids in kids club etc. If so, isn't it easy to make sure all the agents are instructed about these policies, heck, even give the agents a cheat sheet with answers to FAQ's. Questions which are more specific to the ship, like questions about the hours the kids club operates, could either be answered with a simple, "we are sorry but that is decided by the indivdual ship and we don't have that info here, or could be addressed by having an agent who speciallizes in eacxh ship and can answer more specific questions.

Personally I would rather be told, we don't know or we can't give you a positive answer on that, than be given an answer that later turns out to be incorrect.

My impression of NCL customer service right now is that there is little point calling with questions at all, since you will have so little confidence in whatever answer you get. You may as well not bother calling and just guess and your chances of being right are just as good.

Maybe that is the effect NCL is after since if people just give up calling they will need even fewer CS agents.

I can be more understanding of being kept on wait for a long time if it is an occassional occurence I know it is hard to forecast and staff for high volume periods but if it happens repeatedly for instance if I call 5 times over a three week period and always have a 20 to 30 minute wait before being answered, then I think it is an issue NCL needs to address. I've noticed that if you call to book you usually don't have too long a wait so if they can get the booking staffing right why not the CS department?

originally posted by NCLCSR

I can be more understanding of being kept on wait for a long time if it is an occassional occurence I know it is hard to forecast and staff for high volume periods but if it happens repeatedly for instance if I call 5 times over a three week period and always have a 20 to 30 minute wait before being answered, then I think it is an issue NCL needs to address. I've noticed that if you call to book you usually don't have too long a wait so if they can get the booking staffing right why not the CS department?

And in this day and age it sure would be nice to have an interactive chat feature with customer service from their web site. I'm far more patient waiting "on line" than I am on the telephone. For one thing those features generally tell you how many people are ahead of you. And you also have a written record of what you were told.

I'm more than willing to put my comments into writing and mail to the appropriate people at NCL but I'm not able to find anything other than a general address on the NCL site. Anyone know a good name/address? I'm not writing to the chairman of NCL, I know those get routed to various minions. Anyone know an underling that would be receptive to constructive criticism?

My initial response to this post was "what a snot nose" Followed by I am glad we broke away from the UK. The fact that one letter is off on a ticket won't make a difference. The rule used to be three letters off were ok. Now it actually more important as to what's on the manifest. You know there were people scheduled on the first cruise of the Pride of America in 2005---before it sank. You chose this because it was less inexpensive not merely because it was first. I suggest you stick with the white star lines Maiden voyage....

I actually have much sympathy for the UK but you drive it out of me....

PS you aren't Raria's butler are you?

Sid...Sid......Sid:D Clever 'play on words"

As long as your passport and what is "on record" in the computer ie: changed on the manifest, there should be no problem.

How can we get corporate to address their PR problem with their US 800 number representatives.

That is the $64,000 question...if anyone finds the answer, let us know.

I found their customer service to be abysmal, and corporate wasn't any better. That is why I would never choose NCL again, unless by some remote possibility their service improves.

I haven't seen any evidence of that though.:(

Good luck with that, I wrote 3 letters to 3 different corporate staff members and not a single one was acknowledged. This was over a year ago, I'm still waiting....

NCL US

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami

Florida

NCL UK

1 Derry Street

Kensington

London

W8 5NN

Each international office has its address on the website. Once on homepage, click on 'News@, then along the top it says 'Contact Us', click on that and each country's office is listed in full with reservation and enquiry phone numbers.

I have been fortunate enough to experience excellent customer service from NCL. On my first cruise I had no reason to call or deal with customer service at corporate but on my 2nd cruise I had two problems - one with Latitudes which was resolved immediately (while I spoke to the rep on the phone, she fixed my problem). The 2nd was a problem securing the upgrade I wanted. There seemed to be a lot of confusion because of the 4-way communication between me, my TA, the cruise wholesaler and NCL adn I was getting annoyed and frustrated. It was the NCL rep who sorted it all out and got me the upgrade I wanted at the price I wanted. (As near as I could tell the 'weakest link' was the cruise wholesaler).

You could always write to the CEO, Colin Veitch, but I think if you're looking for an answer/solution quickly then you should probably take it up with Customer Relations. :confused: I don't know any fax #, but maybe you can call & get someone's specific e-mail address or fax #. (I'm not sure how long their hold time is). Do they have a "Contact Us" section on their website? Maybe it will list the phone/e-mail's for certain dept's

We too have experienced NCL's hapless Customer Service System. I have always said that their policy is to either 1) say whatever it takes to get you off the phone or 2.) believe you are stupid and deny whatever you have that proves them wrong. (even if you have written proof in front of you)

Examples:

1.) This year when booking our shore excursions, I received the email confirmation for my cabin's shore excursions (they were wrong). When I didn't get my parent's room confirmation, I called. They said to me: "you didn't provide an email address on the online request." I replied: "Wrong, I have a copy of the email request right here that I printed before sending and my email is clearly listed." There response: "you must be mistaken, but we will send you a confirmation right away." (I got it two days later and it had mistakes!)

2.) A few years ago, my father called NCL Customer Service about a problem before we left. He was put on hold for almost an hour and then hung up. The next day, he called again and explained what he wanted and was put on hold for a supervisor. He left the speaker phone on and went about his work, finally after about 80 minutes, someone picked up and said "hello" and seemed quite surprised to hear my father answer back. He was then told that the Supervisor had left for lunch. (I don't know about your place of business, but if I have a call on hold for me, I don't go to lunch.) Of course, it was 2:00 p.m. (my what a late lunch). When he called back an hour later, he was told the Supervisor had went home for the day.

Now is this customer service????? Every experience we have had with NCL's customer service has been bad and many others have agreed with me. I have said this before, NCL's crews do a nice job, but their Customer Service Department and upper management are where the problems lie.

Your cruise is in fact a maiden voyage. As someone else said, the short cruises they do before the innaugural are not like a regular cruise. Many of the bugs are still being worked out on those one and two day cruises. You're never going to be the first to sail on the ship. If we go by your standards then the sea trials are the maiden voyage. And what kind of apology were you looking for? They're sorry for doing a few short cruises in order to make your cruise expereince better? NCLCSR is a member here just like everyone else. Please don't use this board as an official outlet to someone that works for NCL. I her original post she said that she wanted to post in order to give some general feedback on CS people in general and not address specific concerns that should be taken to NCL. It's a shame that you're letting something so common as a two day shakedown cruise ruin what could have been a great experience.

I heard that passengers get a great price break on shakedown cruises. How does one purchase a ticket for this?

I heard that passengers get a great price break on shakedown cruises. How does one purchase a ticket for this?
I've never seen a shakedown cruise advertised but I think the UK NCL site is seling them for the Jewel. Shakedown cruises are usually for travel professionals or even corporate staff to work out the bugs, etc.

The Amsterdam shakedown is full, but there is still space on the one I am going on to Jersey, apparently.

Use the NCL UK site, it has the details on there. I was invited by my TA to go, he and his wife will be aboard along with about 20 of us who are customers of theirs. Both cruises were advertised as open to the public, although unusual as shakedowns are normally for TA's and not public, its not the first time that cruise lines have done this.

Apparently there is also a cruise to nowhere out of New York sometime in September for 2 days.

Originally posted by Keystone Cruiser:

A few years ago, my father called NCL Customer Service about a problem before we left. He was put on hold for almost an hour and then hung up. The next day, he called again and explained what he wanted and was put on hold for a supervisor. He left the speaker phone on and went about his work, finally after about 80 minutes, someone picked up and said "hello" and seemed quite surprised to hear my father answer back. He was then told that the Supervisor had left for lunch. (I don't know about your place of business, but if I have a call on hold for me, I don't go to lunch.) Of course, it was 2:00 p.m. (my what a late lunch). When he called back an hour later, he was told the Supervisor had went home for the day.

What you posted reminded me, a while ago I too had a problem with customer service that the regular agent couldn't deal with and I too had to speak to a supervisor. I remember the same sort of thing happening. If I called in the mornig say between 9 am and 11:30 am the supervisor was in a meeting, between 11:30 am and 3pm the supervisor was out to lunch and after 3pm the supervisor had left for the day. I wish I had a job like that. Maybe the reason the customers have problems with customer service is because the agents are never supervised.

Archived