Skipping the cruise excursions and heading out on my own questions

FruitStandaficionado

OK, I'm not a newbie. I've done the cruise excursions and I've headed out on my own. After having done my own thing, I prefer that. Not only am I stretching to give (and take) the cruise, but I abhor hurrying up to wait, which frequently happens on the cruise excursions. I much prefer stepping off the ship and being immediately whisked away in a taxi to where ever I'm headed. My problem is, its been 8 years since my last cruise and the method for planning my trip (and the confidence in that plan) has radically changed. In the past, I would head to my local book store, purchase a few "$ a day" books to help me plan my vacation. Using the internet should be more efficient, but I am finding it isn't. I search for information and frequently go off on tangents not getting anything accomplished. Some of the information is dated and I am not comfortable with its accuracy. Also, I really don't want to "pre-book" a tour as that really locks me in. I want to see what I feel like doing when we dock. I can remember two winter cruises where we were seriously ill with some stomach thing and missed our paid excursions. :eek:

That said, how easy is it to step off the ship and hail a taxi to take us somewhere to snorkel, sight see, or get pampered with a massage in the ports of Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel? Can flying by the seat of your pants still be done in these ports? Is this going to be possible and economical?

Any reassurance would be GREATLY appreciated!:D

In Roatan we rented a car after running into a rental car guy once getting off the ship. We drove all over the island and had a wonderful time!

In Belize we found a tour operator and grabbed him for a private tour. A lot of them like to fill up their vans full of people. We were wanting it to just be us and he did that with a smile. He took us to the ruins and the tour was FANTASTIC! He got us to the ruins before all the tour buses arrived which gave us time to get some pictures before people were climbing all over them :).

I can't help you on Cozumel. We were there once, the guys went on a golfing excursion and I went shopping. It was my least favorite port of all the ones we have visited.

Happy Sailing!

We have cruised a number of times and we have never done a tour, ships or private. We look up each port on trip advisor, the ports of call board here, sometimes we buy a guidebook and we look at where the ship's excursions are going. This info gives us a list of places we might want to visit at each port. When we dock, we grab a cab and ask the driver about the places on our list and ask him for additional recommendations. We have seen some fabulous things that no one else on the cruise has seen. We negotiate price and length of trip before we leave.

That said, how easy is it to step off the ship and hail a taxi to take us somewhere to snorkel, sight see, or get pampered with a massage in the ports of Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel? Can flying by the seat of your pants still be done in these ports? Is this going to be possible and economical?

Any reassurance would be GREATLY appreciated!:D

Hullo :D

Roatan taxi's can be expensive (and I have heard of a FEW isolated problems with taxi's here). In Jan 2013 (and for upcoming Dec 2013 cruise) we booked a driver for the day with one of the private, well known companies. (I can only tell you the name if you ASK for recommendation or I get sent to the naughty corner). :eek:

The company we book with does NOT charge a deposit. You pay at the END of your day when they deliver you back to the port. The driver will be able to offer you suggestions, etc or you can pre-plan your day based on your research, etc.

Cozumel you can DEFINITELY walk off the ship and stroll around ANYWHERE or grab a cab (pre-set zones and rates in Coz which should eliminate or reduce driver's taking advantage of tourists). I have walked about 1 1/2 miles back off the main drag (into the side streets) of Coz and well off the typical tourist path ... by myself. I felt completely comfortable at all times and never thought "omg - what was I thinking". That being said, I did stay on busier roads (no alleys and the like:cool:). I also do not drink, so I was SOBER at all times:o.

Belize: See that board -- I just posted there.

Hope that helps...

Amy

Very easy to stroll off the ship in Cozumel. Grab a cab and tour the island. Shop or eat downtown. Visit Paradise Beach for a lovely beach day.

In Roatan, you can zipline, or head to West Bay Beach for a beach/water day. Good snorkeling there.

For Belize I would have more set plans. Long tender ride in. Not a lot of things to do right at the port area.

Have a great cruise!

In Roatan we rented a car after running into a rental car guy once getting off the ship. We drove all over the island and had a wonderful time!

In Belize we found a tour operator and grabbed him for a private tour. A lot of them like to fill up their vans full of people. We were wanting it to just be us and he did that with a smile. He took us to the ruins and the tour was FANTASTIC! He got us to the ruins before all the tour buses arrived which gave us time to get some pictures before people were climbing all over them :).

I can't help you on Cozumel. We were there once, the guys went on a golfing excursion and I went shopping. It was my least favorite port of all the ones we have visited.

Happy Sailing!

While I like the idea of renting a car and the freedom that offers, renting cars are stressful to me (I've had two bad experiences on other vacations). I'm thinking taxi/tour guide. So taxi's are out for Roatan?

I like the idea of finding a "loose" tour guide and grabbing him for a private tour. Would that be possible for the cave tubing or howler monkeys?

We've had great snorkeling/beach days in Cozumel in the past on our own. Haven't been since the Hurricane hit them a while back, but I assume they've recovered.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hullo :D

Roatan taxi's can be expensive (and I have heard of a FEW isolated problems with taxi's here). In Jan 2013 (and for upcoming Dec 2013 cruise) we booked a driver for the day with one of the private, well known companies. (I can only tell you the name if you ASK for recommendation or I get sent to the naughty corner). :eek:

The company we book with does NOT charge a deposit. You pay at the END of your day when they deliver you back to the port. The driver will be able to offer you suggestions, etc or you can pre-plan your day based on your research, etc.

Cozumel you can DEFINITELY walk off the ship and stroll around ANYWHERE or grab a cab (pre-set zones and rates in Coz which should eliminate or reduce driver's taking advantage of tourists). I have walked about 1 1/2 miles back off the main drag (into the side streets) of Coz and well off the typical tourist path ... by myself. I felt completely comfortable at all times and never thought "omg - what was I thinking". That being said, I did stay on busier roads (no alleys and the like:cool:). I also do not drink, so I was SOBER at all times:o.

Belize: See that board -- I just posted there.

Hope that helps...

Amy

From what I'm reading in this thread, Roatan Taxi's are a no go. I'd love to have your recommendation. I like the idea of no deposit and paying at the end.

Thanks! :)

A really great place to DIY in Cozumel is the Money bar. Just search on the board for reviews and photos. Grab a taxi and just go camp out and eat, drink and snorkel. No admission on or reservations required. They have gear to rent if you don't have your own. We hung out there most of the day in Sept. and loved it.

For Roatan and Belize we prebooked so can't help there. But there were plenty of tour offers at the pier.

• 3 weeks later...
From what I'm reading in this thread, Roatan Taxi's are a no go. I'd love to have your recommendation. I like the idea of no deposit and paying at the end.

Try Juan San Carlos Tours..private tour..charged when u are done..make your own itinerary!

Stopped at Roatan in 2010. We weren't even going to get off the ship but we decided just to check things out. Ended up getting a tour of the island from a taxi driver...his name was Albert Brooks (not the actor lol). We bargained him down to $30 for the four of us. Very fun day. He took us to a couple different shopping places ( of course he got a kickback from whatever we purchased). Stopped at a nice lookout spot where is "dad" sold coconut drinks. Cut us some sugar cane to chew on. Took us to Fosters Resort on West Bay beach. Beach was smooth as glass...gorgeous...one of the best two or three beaches weve been to. Spent about an hour or so at the beach. Took us to a local place to buy some rum. Saw quite a bit of the island. Was a great tour.

Don't know about others experiences with taxis on Roatan, but ours was excellent. As always, make sure you set a price before you get in the car. Im sure there are hits and misses wherever you go

I took a private taxi tour in Roatan last week during the week of Thanksgiving. I went to the back of the port area where the taxis were located and negotiated a two-hour tour for $40 (one person).

I asked for an English-speaking driver, and I was given Tino. He was excellent! He was a native of Honduras, but had lived in Oklahoma for many years. I highly recommend Tino.

We also rented a private taxi in Roatan in 2012, and had no issues at all. Negotiated the price before heading out and had a great day. (it was raining when we were there, so no beaches for us that day). We did the same thing in Cozumel....the further away you get from the port, the cheaper the taxi and drivers are (in Cozumel).

I have never had an issue with Taxis in Roatan, if you cruise on one of the Carnival corp brand ships, you just need to walk out of the cruise terminal (mahogany bay), up the hill and out the gate. Here is where the rates get cheaper. Negotiate before you get in and you will be fine. Usually around 40 for a tour of the island. Or about $20 each way to the beaches near west bay.

My apologies for not replying - got caught up in pre-vacation stuff! We booked both times in Roatan with Victor Bodden. $100 for 4 people for all day private tour. First time had Frankie for driver, last week we had Brett. Both were fine drivers and enjoyed our day immensely.

Happy cruising...

Amy