Multiple fashion related questions

Danyell502

I already feel silly asking these questions, but I don't want to waste money on new clothes if the clothes I have are acceptable. I understand the RCI guidelines on what to wear to dinner, but what do people wear during the day? My sister and I are both college age, are denim shorts (cutoffs), jeans, sundresses and leggings okay? Is the MDR still less casual than the rest of the ship during breakfast and lunch? Thanks in advance for any help!

Ask away. That's the purpose of these boards. During the day, the dress code (for lack of a better phrase) on the ship is considered "resort casual." That means shorts, sundresses, capris, etc. In the MDR, for breakfast and lunch, that attire is totally acceptable. If you are in your bathing suit during the day, just throw a sundress over it, or shorts and a top, to go into the MDR. Jeans in the MDR is frowned upon for dinner, but I've seen it time and time again. Hope this helps!

Everything you mention is fine. I just dont think I saw leggins. Bring your cut offs, jeans, skirts, dresses, etc. The MDR for lunch and breakfast is pretty casual, as long as you are not in your bathing suit you will be fine. Works pretty much as a resort.

I already feel silly asking these questions, but I don't want to waste money on new clothes if the clothes I have are acceptable. I understand the RCI guidelines on what to wear to dinner, but what do people wear during the day? My sister and I are both college age, are denim shorts (cutoffs), jeans, sundresses and leggings okay? Is the MDR still less casual than the rest of the ship during breakfast and lunch? Thanks in advance for any help!

For the day, I bring a total of 3 pairs of shorts, 3 bathing suits and T-shirts. That is it for my day wear.

What you describe is fine. The ship is casual during the day and most anything is acceptable, you just need to be covered up in the dining venues.

I've not recently heard that jeans are frowned upon at dinner as reported by another poster, and in fact see many “30 somethings” in jeans and nice shirts/tops. I come from the “old school of cruise dress” but have to have to admit that on occasion I have worn black jeans to dinner on a winter cruise. We find that generally jeans are too hot for a summer Caribbean sailing.

Enjoy

M

You won't see many leggings on a Caribbean cruise if that is what you are taking. Also, I haven't seen a written policy that forbids jeans in the MDR. However, if you do opt for jeans there, wear nice ones, not raggy, faded ones.

Another nice option, if you would like to remain very casual on any particular night, you may eat in other palces on the ship such as the Windjammer buffet, Johnny Rockets, Sorrentos Pizza or even order room service. You are not required to eat in the MDR every night.

I think you gals will have great time. I wish I could have sailed on today's great cruise ships when I was young.

During the day I generally am in a swimsuit and coverup or shorts. At dinner I usually bring some pretty tops that coordinate with capris. I bring a black pair and white pair. Sundresses are also pretty in the evening and I agree to bring a light jacket or wrap because the theaters can be freezing !!! I've never worn jeans, not because of the dress code but because they are too warm for me. Have a wonderful time !!!

Recent cruise saw a lot of young women wearing "workout' clothes, but not for working out!

I am thinking the "drip dry" "dry fit weave" stuff in tank tops, halter tops, with matching shorts and skorts or tennis-type skirts. Most of them were in bright vibrant colors, or black/navy with bright piping. They looked really comfy for day-time use and also would wash and drip dry quickly. I am thinking Nike, Fila, Reebock type stuff - i am sure you will know what I mean!

Personally find jeans/jean shorts too warm for the Caribbean, although fine to travel in.

So, I'm not college-aged, very far from it, but my best advice is to pack less than you think you'll need. At first I over packed shorts and dressy outfits. I find that sundresses that can double as cover-ups are a space saver. If you are a beach person, you will not need shorts for those days. Just a cover-up.

Regarding the MDR, the rule is no shorts. so I think leggings should be fine. There are dressy legging type outfits that are fashionable right now. BTW: I wear dark, dressy jeans on the plane (we cruise the Caribbean in winter) and use them one or two nights with a dressy top and heels for dinner. Of course, not on formal night. I find the jeans comfortable around the ship at night, but wouldn't wear them in the daytime. Too hot. Of course, you might be cruising in a colder climate.

If you enjoy dressing up, then go for it. A cruise is the perfect time to pull out all of your dressy stuff or dresses you used for college dances, You're young. Have fun!

Cheers,

Koohiichan